Fat Dad to IFBB Physique Pro

First pic in April 2012. Out of shape and not in great health. I decided to do something about it and entered a 12 week transformation and won it. I didn’t stop. Just kept going. Started competing then earned my IFBB Pro card in July 2014 lifetime drug free. I am now going to be competing in my first IFBB pro competition this summer. I am 44 years young, married and have 5 kids.

I am also coaching and helping others on the weekends transform their bodies. It has been a fun road and looking forward to continue improving and helping others improve along the way.

[quote]truthandlife wrote:
First pic in April 2012. Out of shape and not in great health. I decided to do something about it and entered a 12 week transformation and won it. I didn’t stop. Just kept going. Started competing then earned my IFBB Pro card in July 2014 lifetime drug free. I am now going to be competing in my first IFBB pro competition this summer. I am 44 years young, married and have 5 kids.

I am also coaching and helping others on the weekends transform their bodies. It has been a fun road and looking forward to continue improving and helping others improve along the way. [/quote]
It feels amazing to see heros like u… Keep it up!

Great job. Do have a rough timeline between pictures?

[quote]Icarus wrote:
Great job. Do have a rough timeline between pictures?[/quote]

April 2012 (1-4 is 12 weeks), 5-7 was June 2013 - November 2013, and 8-9 was June and September 2014.

And for encouragement (not to brag)…no PED’s ever…

Happy Monday everyone! I want to start journaling here. I am less than 16 weeks out for my first IFBB pro contest and it is now time to really focus in and get it done. I have added no cardio yet to my regime which is good. This week will be the week I will be adding cardio. I am down 1 1/2 lbs this week on 3,100 calories. This is very good. Remember, when you are starting out prepping you want to make sure you start out with calories as high as possible. You also don’t want to start out with a crazy amount of cardio (your body becomes efficient if you do). You want to add cardio as you go and cut back on calories gradually as you go through your prep.

Some of you wanted to know what I have been eating at 3,100 calories. My philosophy is to “eat clean.” It has worked for me. I know others have done well with flexible dieting but I truly believe it is tougher to do this as you get older. I am currently 44 years old and I do this lifestyle for my health. The body does an amazing job of filtering out junk that you put in your body but if you work with your body it is amazing how efficient it becomes. You will also walk around a lot more energized and alive eating mostly whole foods in your diet.

This is what my current diet looks like:

Wake Up 4:30 am and have Preworkout

Workout at 5:30 and during my workout take in BCAA’s and Carb powder with creatine monohydrate

After workout I have a ]Whey Protein, Carb powder and glutamine(7 am )

For breakfast I will have 8 oz of egg whites mixed with 40 grams of protein and 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 20 g of nuts (8:30 am)

For lunch with have 7 oz of crock pot chicken, 1 cup of rice, 1 cup of green beans and 1 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil (11:30 am)

For mid afternoon feeding 7 oz of lean ground turkey (97% lean), 2 cups of sweet potatoes, 1 cup of green beans and 20 oz of nuts (3 pm)

For dinner 7 oz of chicken, 1 cup of rice, 1 cup of broccoli, 1 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil (6:30 pm)

Late night feeding 1 scoop of protein, 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1 cup of almond milk and 10 g of nuts

Pretty simple. I also cook all my food before the week begins usually on Sunday night. Sometimes I have to cook something mid-week also but usually get it all done on Sunday. This is the key to staying on your diet during prep! I will share some more later.

Here was my workout last week.

Monday: Chest/Biceps
Incline Smith Press 4 x 15, 12, 10, 10
Incline Dumbbell Flyâ??s 3 x 12-15
Flat Dumbell Bench Press 3 x 12-15
Cable Dips 2 x 12-15
Cable Cross Overs 2 x 12-15
Straight Barbell Curls 4 x 20, 15, 15, 12
Dumbbell Concentration Curls 3 x 12-15
Standing Machine EZ Bar Curls 3 x 12-15
Tuesday: Legs/Side Delts
Leg Extensions 4 x 20-30
Squats 3 x 15-20
Walking Barbell Lunges 3 x 150 Feet
Lying Leg Curls 5 x 20, 20, 20, 15, 12
Seated Dumbbell Side Laterals 5 x 20, 15, 15, 12, 12
Dumbbell Upright Rows 3 x 12-15
Cable Side Laterals 3 x 12-15

Wednesday: Back/Triceps
Pull Ups 3 x 15
T-Bar Rows (with Olympic Bar) 4 x 10-15
Deadlift from Rack 3 x 8-12
Barbell Rows (Palms Up) 4 x 10-15
Seated Cable Row (Rope) 3 x 15
Triangle Bar Press Downs 4 x 12-20
Close Grip Bench 4 x 10-15
Overhead Dumbbell Extensions 4 x 12-15
Dumbbell Kickbacks 3 x 15
Rope Press Downs 3 x 15

Thursday: Off

Friday (2 a day):

Barbell Shrugs 4 x 10-15
Dumbbell Shrugs 3 x 12-15
Seated Dumbbell Laterals 5 x 12-15
Military Press 4 x 12
Reverse Dumbbell Flyâ??s 4 x 12-15
Dumbbell Upright Rows 4 x 12-15

Afternoon
Chest
Cable dips 50, 40, 30, 20, 15, 10, 10, 10
Decline bench 40, 30, 20, 15, 10, 10
Machine chest flyes 30, 20, 15, 15, 10

Saturday: Legs
Stiff Leg Deadlifts with Dumbbells 4 x 15-20
Seated Leg Curls 3 x 15
Walking Barbell Lunges 3 x 150 Feet
Abductors 3 x 40
Calves 6 sets 15-20

Sunday: Off Recovery

TIP OF THE DAY:

Put your goals in front of you every day and make sure you look at them. It is amazing how the subconscious mind is a magnet to those goals.

Alright! I am 14 weeks out to my contest. I want to get ready early (in 12 weeks) so here we go. I am in the 203 range probably going to be in the 190-192 range when all is said and done. It has been challenging this year but that is called LIFE. You are either an over comer or a quitter…the choice is yours. I will choose to be an over comer.

My calories are in the 3,000 range the past 2 weeks because I decided to change dates for my contest. I am not getting great pumps in my workouts so might need to a bigger refeed day this week. Also have upped my sodium a bit. Body just looks flat right now.

Will continue to monitor and have a good game plan together. Left shoulder is still tweaked and doing close grip bench this week really set it off. I need to get this shoulder worked on for some trigger point therapy. Hope to get in next week to get it worked on.

I will be hiring a coach because I just don’t want to have to think about it. I have been my own coach for a while and got my IFBB pro card being my own coach. I feel like spending my energy and time in other areas instead of how I am preparing for this contest.

I frankly just want to follow directions from someone else for this prep. I just need some tweaking like I said in my other post. Probably need to be open to a few new things but main goal is just to get conditioned enough as well as fill out enough on contest day. These have been my 2 weaknesses.

I will post my macros later this week but here is my workouts. “Meat and potatoes” workout this week.

Here is a pic after arm day:

Monday (Chest):

Hammer Incline Chest Press: 3 sets of 10 reps with a drop set
Flat Bench Press: 3 sets of 10 reps with a drop set
Dumbbell Flyes: 3 sets of 10 reps w a drop set
Dips: 3 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Straight-Arm Pull-Over: 3 sets of 10 reps
Standing Calf Raise: 3 sets of 10 reps with drop set
Seated Calf Raise: 3 sets of 10 reps with drop set

Tuesday (Arms):
Rope Push-Down: 3 sets of 10 reps
Machine Dips: 3 sets of 10 reps
Close-Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
Straight-Bar Push-Down: 3 sets of 10 reps
Barbell Curl: 3 sets of 10 reps
Preacher Curl: 3 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Curl: 3 sets of 10 reps
Hammer Curl: 3 sets of 10 reps
Reverse Curl: 3 sets of 10 reps

Wednesday:

HIIT 25 minutes on elliptical machine with calves and abs

Thursday (Back):

Reverse-Grip Pull-Down: 4 sets of 10 reps
One-Arm Dumbbell Row: 4 sets of 10 reps
T-Bar Row: 4 sets of 10 reps
Bent-Over Barbell Row: 3 sets of 10 reps
Seated Cable Row: 3 sets of 10 reps
Back Extensions: 3 sets of 10 reps

So I want to talk to you about a lot of talk I hear about performance enhancing drugs. I know a lot of people don’t talk about them. I will just say I don’t do them and never will do them. Will that be a disadvantage for me in the IFBB? Probably. Will that change mind about using them? No. Of course every competitor wants to be as competitive as they can with whatever competition they are in and most people want to get a competitive advantage over other competitors. Even though I am 44 years old (45 in August), I am past my prime when it comes to natural hormones. I will continue to compete “drug free” no matter what place I come in. I did this transformation for my health. My health was not good before this journey. I did this so I could have a good quality of life with my family and to be able to be at 100% on my job. I also wanted to live life to the fullest. I also wanted to be an example to the many I come in contact and show them that it is not too late to transform your body and you can do this lifestyle without steroids, HGH and other drugs.

This is my philosophy in my coaching and this what I will continue to teach. We have no idea of the impact of the different performance enhancing drugs on the body. I know many will say just make sure you get checked up by your doctor and keep everything in check and everything will be fine. Really? Do you know that for a fact? I think any time you put a foreign chemical in your body, I think you are messing with the body. I know there are certain drugs out there that have helped with life expectancy as well as given some a better quality of life. I am not really talking about those drugs. I am talking about the drugs that make us look better but have side effects. We are seeing the effects of these in the pro bodybuilding world (Rich Piana has a good video on why he quit
HGH - YouTube

Will start updating this thread 2-3 times during the week.

More posts please. Also what protein do you mix in with eggs? You seem like you know your body very well but I can understand not wanting to think so much and to get a coach. Best of luck.

Awesome progress! hope to be in similar shape when i’m older!

[quote]minimaltechno wrote:
More posts please. Also what protein do you mix in with eggs? You seem like you know your body very well but I can understand not wanting to think so much and to get a coach. Best of luck.[/quote]

Will start posting 2-3 times per week. I will post the reason I have not been posting.

I haven’t posted in a while because I have gone through a lot these past 6 months. A lot of life change events. A job change (I am doing transformation coaching full time), my dad passed away 6 months ago and my mother passed away on Sept 25th of cancer. We just found out she had it in June and I have been caring for her these past 4 months. It has been pretty gut wrenching year but people’s prayers have sustained me and my family. God has been good even though it has been very difficult.

I was supposed to compete in 2 IFBB pro contests this year including one next week but with everything going on I have decided to wait until 2016. This was a great decision and even though I have not competed for over a year that is okay. I have been fairly consistent at the gym and diet has been OK (not great). I hope to compete again in April (21 months until I last competed). The physique division will probably change in 2016 with the added Classic Physique division. Since I have been drug free all my life, I will stay in the physique division. My wheels are “ok” but in order for me to make amazing improvements I would have to get “on stuff” and I have promised myself I would not. I started to compete to get healthy and being “on” would do the opposite.

Anyway, I am weighing around 204 right now and in decent shape. I am going to add as much muscle as I can in 12 weeks then in January I will start the prep for the show in April. Will start keeping you updated over here. Here is what I look like right now:

Here is a quick update on me. Still having to do a lot of work on cleaning up my folks stuff after them passing away. Thank goodness my brother is doing this with me right now. I visited another friend today that is going to pass away very shortly. She has been a precious soul since I was a kid. I have the toughest time now visiting hospitals because of the reminders of my dad but do know people need ministering to.

I found out there is a Phil Heath Pro AM on March 11th & 12th in Dallas. I am thinking about making my debut there. This would definitely be jumping into the deep end competing with the “young” IFBB pros but it might be good. It is a little more than 16 weeks away and I am about 13-15 lbs off of stage weight. Might be a good one to get ready for then do another show in California in April. We will see how things line up.

I do a semi-food prep this week. When I am not “all in” on food prep, I do get off schedule. I teach this to my clients also. You have to “block schedule” your workouts and food prep for the week and STICK WITH YOUR SCHEDULE!

My macros right now are above. If I decide to the show in March I will really have to have my macros and plan dialed in by next week. I would like for this to be a 14 week prep and be ready 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Here are my workouts. I really concentrate on Time Under Tension in my workouts and the muscle being worked. I don’t have to put as much weight on that tears down my tendons and joints and get a great workout. You do have to check your ego at the door in order to extend the set from a time perspective.

Monday
Legs
EXERCISE
Lying Leg Curl - Toes In Dorsi (Myotatic)
Set 1 10 x 140.00Lbs
Set 2 9 x 140.00Lbs
Set 3 8 x 140.00Lbs
Set 4 8 x 140.00Lbs

Barbell- Full Squat
Set 1 12 x 315.00Lbs
Set 2 10 x 335.00Lbs
Set 3 9 x 355.00Lbs
Set 4 8 x 385.00Lbs

Front Squat
Set 1 20 x 135.00Lbs
Set 2 20 x 135.00Lbs
Set 3 20 x 135.00Lbs

Romanian Deadlift
Set 1 10 x 225.00Lbs
Set 2 12 x 225.00Lbs
Set 3 12 x 225.00Lbs

Tuesday

30 Degree Incline Dumbbell Press
Set 1 13 x 70.00Lbs
Set 2 10 x 80.00Lbs
Set 3 8 x 90.00Lbs

Dips for Chest
Set 1 9 x 45.00Lbs
Set 2 10 x 45.00Lbs
Set 3 10 x 45.00Lbs
Set 4 9 x 45.00Lbs

Flat Bench Dumbell Chest Press, Palms Facing
Set 1 13 x 70.00Lbs
Set 2 13 x 70.00Lbs
Set 3 13 x 70.00Lbs

Cable- Flyes Flat Bench
Set 1 15 x 42.50Lbs
Set 2 14 x 42.50Lbs

Dumbbell- Lateral raise
Set 1 15 x 35.00Lbs
Set 2 15 x 35.00Lbs
Set 3 15 x 35.00Lbs

Hammer- Shoulder Press
Set 1 20 x 140.00Lbs
Set 2 17 x 140.00Lbs
Set 3 15 x 140.00Lbs

Seated Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
Set 1 15 x 40.00Lbs
Set 2 15 x 40.00Lbs

Wide Grip Barbell Bent Over Row
Set 1 15 x 20.00Lbs
Set 2 15 x 20.00Lbs

TIP OF THE DAY:

This one is right on! Whether it be my clients or my friends if you can’t get your diet right you really are wasting your time in trying to change your body. This is the hardest one for people to understand. The physique athletes understand this but most other people don’t.

This is why in my coaching I focus 80% on changing habits of diet. Still have some spots left for my transformation coaching group starting on Sunday October 26th. You can do this coaching anywhere around the world from the comfort of your phone via conference call or from your computer on Skype.