T Nation

Fat Content in Meat After Cooking?

Im trying to figure out how much fat is actually in meat after cooking it…

For example, 4 oz of 92/8 lean ground beef has 9g fat… cooked on a foreman without intentionally trying to drain it…how much fat is left?

If Im cooking a 4 oz sirloin in 2tbsp olive oil, how much fat is absorbed from the olive oil and how much fat is burned off from cooking it?

Same with chicken, and other meats…

[quote]gabex wrote:

For example, 4 oz of 92/8 lean ground beef has 9g fat… cooked on a foreman without intentionally trying to drain it…how much fat is left?

If Im cooking a 4 oz sirloin in 2tbsp olive oil, how much fat is absorbed from the olive oil and how much fat is burned off from cooking it?

Same with chicken, and other meats…[/quote]

The law of conservation of energy. If your burgers have x-grams of fat pre-cooked, then measure the fat that drains out of them aftewards. (You’d have to wait for the fat to congeal, though, as a lot of what drains from the burger is water.) That’s the only way to determine how much fat your burger “lost.” It sounds like a hassle to do, but if you really care, that’s what you have to do.

Also, you should only have to measure the “lost” fat once or twice - then just go off of that measurement.

I’ve heard that “Fat reducing” grills like the GF don’t actually reduce the fat all that much. I’m pretty sure alot of what drains out is water with a little fat and that a great deal is retained inside the meat.

If you’re worried about the fat, you’ll just have to man up and buy a leaner cut.

I say don’t sweat it. This isn’t 1985, and fat isn’t evil.

[quote]gabex wrote:

Same with chicken, and other meats…[/quote]

You question can be viewed multiple ways. Luck has it I have an opinion on each way—

1. You are afraid of eating too much fat. Listen to the other posters. Fat is not evil. Fat is your friend.

2. You are really trying to count all of your calories and macro-nutrients to get a better picture of what you are consuming throughout the day. Ok- not a bad deal. It would be better to assume nothing is lost if you are looking at it worst case (i.e. dieting) or maybe half is lost if you are bulking. Either way you’d had to have some fairly advanced equipment to be able to measure this within a reasonable percentage.

3. This is all you can think about and it keeps you up at night. You likely have some form of OCD and need to get it checked out.

4. You are a nerd and just curious. Ok, but again you’ll never really be able to tell.

5. None of the above. Oddly enough I still have a response to this one, all else fails add fat if you think you’re missing it or get leaner meat if you don’t want that much fat.

im not worried about reducing fat… i track my food on fitday and im trying to make sure im getting enough fat…

i buy lean meats and cook in evoo … the burger/foreman is my least concern… im more interested in finding out how much fat is abosrbed from the oil…

[quote]gabex wrote:
im not worried about reducing fat… i track my food on fitday and im trying to make sure im getting enough fat…

i buy lean meats and cook in evoo … the burger/foreman is my least concern… im more interested in finding out how much fat is abosrbed from the oil…[/quote]

at what temp does oil evaporate? are you cooking your meals at or greater than this temperature? if so, then little to no oil is being “absorbed.”