T Nation

Fat Burners Ruin Metabolism?

Is it true that fat burners can ruin yur true metabolism. So when your older it’ll be very hard to lose weight b/c your metabolism got lazy b/c it was contrantly artificially stimulated from all these fat burners??? Just like how laxitives can effeect your GI tract.

Nope.

Staying on stimulants for extended periods of time is not a good idea. Good way to get adrenal fatigue.

How would you define extended though? Also, what causes the adrenal fatigue?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Staying on stimulants for extended periods of time is not a good idea. Good way to get adrenal fatigue.

[/quote]

adrenal fatigue is a made up condition, so that is false.

furthermore, long term use of ephedrine + caffeine has been shown to cause a small increase in BMR (~5% if I recall)

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

adrenal fatigue is a made up condition, so that is false.

furthermore, long term use of ephedrine + caffeine has been shown to cause a small increase in BMR (~5% if I recall)[/quote]

made up condition?

so you see no problem in using stimulants for extended periods of time?

Article on the controversial condition in question;

Plenty of people have used fat burners with no ill effect (safe ones anyway.) Any “metabolic wrecking” is most likely an excuse for slacking later in life, but like jehova said, be smart about it and exercise common sense when it comes to what you ingest.

You’re in a doctorate program of some sort right JMoU?

I would say 8-12 weeks of something like HOT-ROX would be the max, then taking some time off.

I’m not one to trash people unnessesarily, but Jimmy Smith’s competence as a trainer / fitness expert is questionable at best and if you need proof of that you can browse this thread:

forums.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=31731

and no, I don’t think it is a problem to stay on EC for an extended period of time (other stimulants e.g. yohimbine is another issue)

btw here’s a study that supports my position:

Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1993 Dec;17 Suppl 3:S73-7; discussion S82.
Toubro S, Astrup A, Breum L, Quaade F.

Research Department of Human Nutrition, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Fredriksberg, Copenhagen, Denmark.

This paper describes a 24-week open follow-up trial with reduced obese patients all receiving an ephedrine/caffeine combination (20 mg/200 mg) three times a day. The study was a continuation of a previous 24-week double-blind placebo-controlled study where the ephedrine/caffeine mixture had shown superior weight-reducing properties when compared with either ephedrine alone (20 mg) or caffeine alone (200 mg) three times a day.

The medication was stopped between weeks 24-26 in order to evaluate withdrawal symptoms. The follow-up period was from weeks 26 to 50. Of 127 patients included, 99 completed the follow-up treatment, which resulted in an additional weight loss of 1.1 kg (P = 0.02). Adverse drug reactions were all minor and temporary. We conclude that the ephedrine/caffeine combination is safe and effective in long-term treatment in improving and maintaining weight loss. The side-effects are minor and transient and no clinically relevant withdrawal symptoms have been observed.

/thread.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
I’m not one to trash people unnessesarily, but Jimmy Smith’s competence as a trainer / fitness expert is questionable at best and if you need proof of that you can browse this thread:

forums.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=31731

and no, I don’t think it is a problem to stay on EC for an extended period of time (other stimulants e.g. yohimbine is another issue)

btw here’s a study that supports my position:

Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1993 Dec;17 Suppl 3:S73-7; discussion S82.
Toubro S, Astrup A, Breum L, Quaade F.

Research Department of Human Nutrition, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Fredriksberg, Copenhagen, Denmark.

This paper describes a 24-week open follow-up trial with reduced obese patients all receiving an ephedrine/caffeine combination (20 mg/200 mg) three times a day. The study was a continuation of a previous 24-week double-blind placebo-controlled study where the ephedrine/caffeine mixture had shown superior weight-reducing properties when compared with either ephedrine alone (20 mg) or caffeine alone (200 mg) three times a day.

The medication was stopped between weeks 24-26 in order to evaluate withdrawal symptoms. The follow-up period was from weeks 26 to 50. Of 127 patients included, 99 completed the follow-up treatment, which resulted in an additional weight loss of 1.1 kg (P = 0.02). Adverse drug reactions were all minor and temporary. We conclude that the ephedrine/caffeine combination is safe and effective in long-term treatment in improving and maintaining weight loss. The side-effects are minor and transient and no clinically relevant withdrawal symptoms have been observed.

/thread.[/quote]

Good to know, I’ve been on HOT-ROX (2 per day) for about 6 months now. Probably a good idea to get off it for a while at any rate…

so fat burners (not E/C) DO work??? i thought it was the low cal diet your suposed to cuople with it that does the trick…not the pill…which pill’s the best

[quote]shugrblossm2 wrote:
so fat burners (not E/C) DO work??? i thought it was the low cal diet your suposed to cuople with it that does the trick…not the pill…which pill’s the best[/quote]

COME on now people fat burners are a SUPPLEMENT they will not magically make you lose weight. You still have to eat sensibly and exercise. Fat burners are just an aid, yes they help with fat loss but are not the end all, be all. They are best used when fat loss stalls, you should prioritize your diet and training first, once the results stall take a thermogenic (HOT-ROX). The tried and true method to lose weight is a caloric deficit not a pill…

[quote]MUthrows94 wrote:
shugrblossm2 wrote:
so fat burners (not E/C) DO work??? i thought it was the low cal diet your suposed to cuople with it that does the trick…not the pill…which pill’s the best

COME on now people fat burners are a SUPPLEMENT they will not magically make you lose weight. You still have to eat sensibly and exercise. Fat burners are just an aid, yes they help with fat loss but are not the end all, be all. They are best used when fat loss stalls, you should prioritize your diet and training first, once the results stall take a thermogenic (HOT-ROX). The tried and true method to lose weight is a caloric deficit not a pill…[/quote]

Definitely.

It’s also important that generalizing about all “fat burners” will get you into trouble as there are many such products on the market that are complete junk.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I need some popcorn…

…ok, please continue.

I’m not sure how many studies it takes to convince you BBB but here’s another:

Title: Safety and efficacy of long-term treatment with ephedrine, caffeine and an ephedrine/caffeine mixture.
Author: Toubro S; Astrup AV; Breum L; Quaade F
Source: Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 17 Suppl 1():S69-72 1993 Feb

“We conclude that the ephedrine/caffeine combination is effective in improving and maintaining weight loss, further it has lean body mass saving properties. The side effects are minor and transient and no withdrawal symptoms have been found.”

I could be wrong though, after all my adrenals are feeling a little fatigued…

I LOVE my EC, but no ‘A’.

I’ve been taking it for the better part of 14 years, and trust me when I say that when I go off for any period of time, my ass is dragging for a few days.

The CNS has it’s limits when it comes to stress and I know the combination of actual stress, and the use of stimulants can put a strain on it even more.

Continuous use will cause the body to adapt, and it will take larger amounts of the drug in order to keep seeing any results.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

so what is it about fat burners that help the low cal diet…does it increase metabolism by 20% or more?
Whats the thing with HOT-ROX. Does it really work. Is the the thermo with the counterpart “Fahrenheit” for women?