Fat burner or cash burner?

Hey guys! First time posting here, but I thought I would ask for some opinions. A girl where I work was asking my advice on a thermo she just bought, but I had never heard of it before. Since I am not really an expert on this stuff I thought I would get her to write down the ingredients so I could get some feedback from you guys. The product is called “Rev xp” and it’s made by a Canadian company in Ontario called Nx Care. The ingredients are as follows:(3 capsules)

Yerba Mate Extrac 600mg
Green Tea Extrac 600mg
Cocoa Bean Extrac 400mg
Coleus Forskohlii Extrac 150mg

Then there’s something they call their
6-pack (proprietary blend) 750 mg which contains the following:

Octopamine
Dandelion leaf and root
Synephrine
4-Hydroxyisoleucine
Amentoflavone
Ginseng glycopeptide

So what do you think? Will this do anything for her, or is it just a bunch of crap? I appreciate any feedback.

why dont you do a search on the ingredients?

The things I recognize as good:

Coleus Forskolii (Note that the dose in T2-Pro is 75mg…half. Makes me question delivery system / effectiveness of your fat burner). So yeah, it has a large dose of Forskolin.

Also, it has a large dose of Green Tea extract, which is a potent antioxidant.

The other crap seems mostly useless. The forskolin and green tea itself aren’t too bad, and this would make for a decent thing to stack with some EC, although I’m not too sure.

Do some research. Make sure that it doesn’t have any asprin-type products within, as this could be damaging. Also the safety of synephrine as I recall is still being researched…

Cash burner. If she runs back to the store for a refund, she will burn more fat than that expensive crap ever will.

Also note that a couple of those ingredients are diuretics - they make you pee a lot. Diuretics are sometimes thrown into “fat burners” so the person taking them will think he or she is losing fat, when she’s actually losing water.

I’m calling “cash burner”.

I am assuming she didnt want a ephedra based fat burner, if so then maybe it is ok, but probably not.
Interesting that it has 4HI in it. i wouldn’t have picked that to be in a fatburner?!?!
The thing that pisses me off with stuff like this (and yes i know why they do it) is that they dont tell you exactly how much of each thing is in the “proprietary blend”. there could be bucket loads of crap and token amounts of the good stuff.
Personally wouldnt take it (looks like a shot gun product to me, ie throw anything “new” and “cool” in to the mix) and none of the herbs are standardised, so you may as well get grass clippings.
Cash burner most likely
No offence to ya’ll, but a typical north american label hiding behind marketing, i’d tell them where they can stick their “proprietary blend”

Cash burner. Although I guess it would depend partly on how much she paid for the stuff…

You say she bought a treadmill? Tell her to use one, those burn fat!

[quote]Yerba Mate Extrac 600mg
Green Tea Extrac 600mg
Cocoa Bean Extrac 400mg
Coleus Forskohlii Extrac 150mg

Then there’s something they call their
6-pack (proprietary blend) 750 mg which contains the following:

Octopamine
Dandelion leaf and root
Synephrine
4-Hydroxyisoleucine
Amentoflavone
Ginseng glycopeptide[/quote]

Octopamine is a Beta3-agonist, but they dont say how much is in the product. 4-Hydroxyisoleucine has nutrient partitioning properties, but again, they don’t say how much is in their “proprietary” blend. Yerba Mate is a newer herbal product that is being used in fat burners, here are a couple of studies regarding it:

1. Anderson T, Fogh J, “Weight loss and delayed gastric emptying following a South American herbal perparation in overweight patients.” J Hum Nutr Diet 2001 Jun;14(3,:243-50)

2. Martiner A, Hostettmanb K, Schutz Y, “Thermogenic effects of commercially available plant preparations aimed at treating human obesity.” Phytomedicine 1999 Oct;6(4):231-8

I havn’t looked into the above studies, but you may want to if your interested in learning more about the ingredient.

Regardless, I’ve seen this brand, and based on their shady advertising tactics, I wouldn’t trust them to include proper dosages esp when they wont reveal the amount of each ingredient. Even if they did, I still think there are better choices out there from more reputable companies.

Joel

Thanks alot for all your feedback guys!
Although there seems to be a little positive feedback, the concensus seems to be mostly that it’s a waste. I asked what she paid and she said she got a month worth from GNC for about $50 canadian. She is glad she didn’t let the guy talk her into the 2 month supply fro $85. Thanks again guys!

Joel, thanks for the studies I will try to check those out.

I got on to PubMed and checked for those studies, and came up with a little info. I found the Anderson study and the gist of it seems to be that Yerba Mate may be a good appetite suppresant. The study showed significant delay in gastric emptying (food took longer to leave the stomach) resulting in the subjects feeling full sooner. This might be useful for people who can’t push themselves away from the meal table, but for those who are already controling meal size and macronutrient intake, this may not be useful.