T Nation

Fat Boy

Hello, my name is sean.

I am currently 17, weighing in at 280 pounds with 24% body fat, and i would like to reduce the body fat more than the actual weight. I am 6 foot 6.

I’ve been a regular reader of T-Nation (don’T let the registration date fool you) for quite some time, and trying to learn some of the methods and techniques, but rarely utilizing them. I’ve thought about some of the more “extreme” diets, but as Prof X put it so elegantantly in another topic, from that it would do more damage than good for someone in the state i am.

From the replies i have recieved so far, if i stick with a 2500 calorie limit (Unless someone comes up with something else) It will be this split:

250 Grams of Protien (1000 Calories)
100 Grams of Fat (900 calories)
150 Grams of Carbohydrates (600 Calories)

Since i am spit balling around numbers at the moment, and will have to adjust them to reach a point where I’m not losing muscle, will they be a good starting point?

Couple things:

Doubtful you are at 24% BF at that weight unless you are at least 6’-2". It’s likely to be higher. Figure out what it really is before you get too far so you can accurately track your progress. You don’t have to, but a year from now you’ll be wondering where you really started from.

You need more protein and more fat (all types- even saturated - aim for 30% of your fats to be saturated) and less carbs in your diet. You’ll notice a faster rate of fat loss this way. The breakdown you listed looks like a fad 90’s diet where fat is evil.

Aim for at least 250g protein, 100g of fat and then fill the rest with carbs (~150g).

Just my $0.02…

[quote]Sean H wrote:
Hello, my name is sean.

I am currently 17, weighing in at 280 pounds with 24% body fat, and i would like to reduce the body fat more than the actual weight.

I’ve been a regular reader of T-Nation (don’T let the registration date fool you) for quite some time, and trying to learn some of the methods and techniques, but rarely utilizing them. I’ve thought about some of the more “extreme” diets, but as Prof X put it so elegantantly in another topic, from that it would do more damage than good for someone in the state i am.

So, I’m thinking about do a 40/30/20 split on Healthy carbs (vegetables, rice, pasta etc.), protein and healthy fats (poly-unsaturated and mono-unsaturated taking the build and any saturated being limited to as little as possible (from beef and the sorts)).

But with this split i am not sure what calories to start at. I think 2500 would be a good starter but I’m not all that sure.

Taking this in consideration, i would think that these figures would be accurate enough to allow me to lose body fat whilst maintaining the muscle i have (not saying i have much, but plenty of average people have less).

187.5 Grams of protein.
250 Grams of Carbs.
56 Grams of total fat.
–21 Grams of mono-unsaturated
–21 Grams of poly-unsaturated
–14 Grams of saturated.

Since i am spit balling around numbers at the moment, and will have to adjust them to reach a point where I’m not losing muscle, will they be a good starting point?

[/quote]

280lbs at 24% body fat is 212.8 lbs of leab body mass.

212.8lbs LBM at 17? How tall are you?

By the way at that weight you could easily get some help from your doctor.

If he could help you out with some Adipex-P or another phentermine, it would dramaticly help you with your diet.

I don’t agree that you need to know your exact bodyfat to track your progress. The other posters may well be right-it may be higher than you’ve estimated. But progress should be readily apparent without monitoring it from your starting point. Looks like you have a good plan of attack. Get to it. Good luck!

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Couple things:

Doubtful you are at 24% BF at that weight unless you are at least 6’-2". It’s likely to be higher. Figure out what it really is before you get too far so you can accurately track your progress. You don’t have to, but a year from now you’ll be wondering where you really started from.

You need more protein and more fat (all types- even saturated - aim for 30% of your fats to be saturated) and less carbs in your diet. You’ll notice a faster rate of fat loss this way. The breakdown you listed looks like a fad 90’s diet where fat is evil.

Aim for at least 250g protein, 100g of fat and then fill the rest with carbs (~150g).

Just my $0.02…[/quote]

Good tips on diet

How are you eating now and what calories are you getting?

Start with a food log and you might notice you start dropping weight immediatly.

I had forgotten to mention this, i am 6 foot 6

Thank you for the replies so far,

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Couple things:

Just my $0.02…[/quote]

Thank you for telling me this. I know saturated was “bad” but i had no idea how much of it anyone realy needs.

[quote]Sean H wrote:
I had forgotten to mention this, i am 6 foot 5

eengrms76 wrote:
Couple things:

Just my $0.02…

Thank you for telling me this. I know saturated was “bad” but i had no idea how much of it anyone realy needs. [/quote]

Yea you did forget to mention that. But you didn’t forget to mention that you are 6 fot 6.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Sean H wrote:
I had forgotten to mention this, i am 6 foot 5

eengrms76 wrote:
Couple things:

Just my $0.02…

Thank you for telling me this. I know saturated was “bad” but i had no idea how much of it anyone realy needs.

Yea you did forget to mention that. But you didn’t forget to mention that you are 6 fot 6. [/quote]

That was a typo, i have ammended that post but it takes a while to actually change it, like it toke 5 minutes to post the topic.

40/30/20 doesnt equal 100…perhaps that extra 10 can go somewhere?

[quote]Sean H wrote:
Hello, my name is sean.

I am currently 17, weighing in at 280 pounds with 24% body fat, and i would like to reduce the body fat more than the actual weight. I am 6 foot 6.

So, I’m thinking about do a 40/30/20 split on Healthy carbs (vegetables, rice, pasta etc.), protein and healthy fats (poly-unsaturated and mono-unsaturated taking the build and any saturated being limited to as little as possible (from beef and the sorts)).

But with this split i am not sure what calories to start at. I think 2500 would be a good starter but I’m not all that sure.

Taking this in consideration, i would think that these figures would be accurate enough to allow me to lose body fat whilst maintaining the muscle i have (not saying i have much, but plenty of average people have less).

187.5 Grams of protein.
250 Grams of Carbs.
56 Grams of total fat.
–14 Grams of saturated.

[/quote]

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
40/30/20 doesnt equal 100…perhaps that extra 10 can go somewhere?

Sean H wrote:
Hello, my name is sean.

187.5 Grams of protein.
250 Grams of Carbs.
56 Grams of total fat.
–14 Grams of saturated.

[/quote]

Quite so, but once again, editing topics takes as long as posting posts.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I don’t agree that you need to know your exact bodyfat to track your progress. The other posters may well be right-it may be higher than you’ve estimated. But progress should be readily apparent without monitoring it from your starting point. Looks like you have a good plan of attack. Get to it. Good luck![/quote]

Like I said in my post, it’s not necessary. I just wish I had. I have no idea where I actually started from. I know it doesn’t matter in the long run, but it’s just something I wish I knew.

Regardless he may not be too far off at 6’-6".

To the OP- try not to continually edit your posts. It’s better to just post again in the same thread with the changes. Makes it easier to track what is going on instead of flipping back and forth. Just a thought.

Now that you have your plan get to it and let us know how it works for you!

Good luck!

“250 Grams of Protien (1500 Calories)
150 Grams of Carbohydrates (400 Calories)”

Hold on, are these numbers typos?

Because 250 grams of protein isn’t 1500 calories, 150 carbs ain’t 400.

[quote]JWJordan wrote:
“250 Grams of Protien (1500 Calories)
150 Grams of Carbohydrates (400 Calories)”

Hold on, are these numbers typos?

Because 250 grams of protein isn’t 1500 calories, 150 carbs ain’t 400. [/quote]

Yeah not to mention it doesn’t add up to 2500. Now if you do the math correctly it does add up to 2500. (1000 cals of protein, 900 cals of fat, and 600 cals of carbs)

yeh, my mistake. Oops

My diet seems to be going now, but i need a training program to go with it (ive managed to lose 8 pounds)

So… What would be a good start for a training program. Ofcourse i want to have lots of weights in there and limiting cardio to what i do on my daily commutes (4 miles walking, 4 miles biking, etc.) unless there is a need for any more.

Go to the articles on training pick one you like and do it really that simple they are all good if you do them consistantl and with intensity.

Id suggest Big Boy Basics, Maybe ABBH, or TBT in your situation.

Phill

Well with Exercise I would not use a program, that is I would not Force myself to do a program you dont like.

Just get in the gym and MOVE!! figure out what you LIKE doing. Focus on that.

Focus on doing that for at least 3 weeks. After that start forcing yourself to do other things. For instance, dont FORCE yourself to do cardio if you dont enjoy it, even though you may lose more weight. Since it will also increase the likely hood that the habit will not stick.

Trust me anything you do in the Gym will help if you just get a good workout. It may not help right away but if you enjoy it you’ll start to enjoy going. Wanting to go to the gym and wanting a good hard workout will eventually lead to weightloss. That said its less likey you will get discouraged. However if you feel a program is the way to go then that’s the way to go.

Also dont focus on losing weight. This may sound absurd but your focus needs to be on eating healther for the rest of your life. If you cant make a life commitment its not worth it. Just realize one thing, you probably wont eat clean ALL the time. Dont worry about it just keep on keep’in on. This can’t be a " Im gonna lose 50Lb’s and go back to my old eating habits" sorta thing.

Carbs cant be rice, breads, potatoes, things like that. You need to get your carbs from fruits, and thats about the only scource of carbs you need right now.

Anyways thats what I would suggest.

I assume that since you are an avid T-Nation reader,as your post suggest, that you know how to use the search function. Now you have all the tools that you need to figure out what it is you need to do.
So do it.

Keep in mind 90% of this is mental. Your biggest enemy is yourself.

My goal isn’t to lose weight, I like being heavy and strong. Doesn’t bother me really. But I do dislike most of the heavy bit being fat. If I can get 280 pounds at 10% ill be a happy bunny.