Fat Around Waist

Hey guys, I’ve been training for nearly 3 years and have made major improvements. I started out as a 200lb guy at 5’9" with around 18%bf. In 3 years, I dropped to 149lb (my lowest weight record) at 9%bf. For the past 7 months, I’ve been bulking and right now im at 162lb w/ around 12%bf.

What I noticed throughout these past 3 years is that although i lost a lot of fat throughout my body, but i still have fat around my waist that never seems to go away (making it hard for me to make my waist feel solid). Will these fat always remain unless i bring my bf% down? Or do i have to incorporate more exercises that target the obliques?

Which brings me to another question, will training the obliques make it larger and therefore difficult to achieve the V look around the waist? Thanks

What the hell? If you were 200 @ 18% bf, and dropped down to 149 @ 9% bf, that means you lost roughly 30 lbs of lean mass in that time (and only 20 lbs of fat mass). That’s awful man; were you lifting weights during that period?

Everyone has a pattern in which they put fat on, and a reverse pattern in which they take fat off. You can’t do anything to change it. If you want your waist to be super lean, you will need to get your overall bf% down.

However, if you build bigger muscles (all over) your waist won’t look as fat. Just don’t expect to do this at the same time as losing fat.

Finally, most people find it hard to maintain a really lean physique unless they restrict starchy carbs. Suggest you look at articles by Berardi, T-Dawg 2.0 Diet and Anabolic Diet as possible solutions to building muscle without adding fat.

How are you measuring your bodyfat percentage?

[quote]Doh wrote:
Will these fat always remain unless i bring my bf% down? Or do i have to incorporate more exercises that target the obliques?
[/quote]

Yes. You must reduce your body fat.

No. I’m afraid that training your obliques will not help.

man its like a war strategy you if you are concerned abut a V looking you gotta attack with many differnet things like:

a)eat healthy try to reduce your carbs intake, and do abs crunches obliques 3 times a week

b)do a decent cardio like 30 min bike run etc 4 times a week, keep hard your weight lifting at the gym to maintain muscle

c)buy a good fat burner

d)buy that shit of creams to put around your waist and belly slepp with a plastic thing ( i don know the name im a fucking hispic)

e)buy all those carnitine shots

with that and you may add more strategies you will have impresiive results in a month and im fucking seriouss

I feel the word “UNCLE” prying it’s way through my lips.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
What the hell? If you were 200 @ 18% bf, and dropped down to 149 @ 9% bf, that means you lost roughly 30 lbs of lean mass in that time (and only 20 lbs of fat mass). That’s awful man; were you lifting weights during that period? [/quote]

no i wasnt, im aware that i lost lean muscle as well. I was just so concentrated on losing fat that i didnt thought about that. I was relatively new to bodybuilding at that time so i made a lot of mistakes.

How the hell do you manage to lose 30lbs of muscle and not care?