T Nation

Fat And Injured!!

Oh yeah, and quit lifting for now. After a week of no pain, wait one more week, then start light weight training. It’s better to be cautious than brash.

[quote]SWR wrote:
I just can’t imagine how it started to hurt just from sitting in the truck. [/quote]

I can.

I’ve found that sitting on my wallet, particularly in my truck, can cause the same (right) side glutes and lower back to tense up terribly. Not saying this is necessarily the case for you (internet diagnosis blah blah), but if you keep it in your back pocket, try taking your wallet out next time you have a long drive. It can’t hurt.

Hope you feel better and that things go well in the new place.

[quote]kroby wrote:
Oh yeah, and quit lifting for now. After a week of no pain, wait one more week, then start light weight training. It’s better to be cautious than brash.[/quote]

That’s what I’ll try to do, I might even wait a little longer before attempting anything. If I try to see if it still hurts, I have to push it to the point it hurts to realize it’s still not healed, and that caused more pain after doing it yesterday.

My father had a slipped disk in his back from lifting something at work. I would NOT want to go through what he did, and he’s part of the reason I’ve been so adamant about having good form with deadlifts.

[quote]polluted wrote:
SWR wrote:
I just can’t imagine how it started to hurt just from sitting in the truck.

I can.

I’ve found that sitting on my wallet, particularly in my truck, can cause the same (right) side glutes and lower back to tense up terribly. Not saying this is necessarily the case for you (internet diagnosis blah blah), but if you keep it in your back pocket, try taking your wallet out next time you have a long drive. It can’t hurt.

Hope you feel better and that things go well in the new place.

[/quote]

Thanks. I never thought of that, and it is the same side I keep my wallet.

I hope this gets better on it’s own from a lot of rest, and has nothing to do with a disc.

Now I’m going to be gun-shy with squats or deads, thinking about injuring my back.

Sorry I don’t have any advice for you back (except for reiterating the no-wallet-in-back-pocket policy), but just wanted to wish you the best of luck recovering from your injury and setting up your new life. New Mexico, huh? Admit that you moved there for the tan, you bastard! :slight_smile:

Take care, mate.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Sorry I don’t have any advice for you back (except for reiterating the no-wallet-in-back-pocket policy), but just wanted to wish you the best of luck recovering from your injury and setting up your new life. New Mexico, huh? Admit that you moved there for the tan, you bastard! :slight_smile:

Take care, mate.[/quote]

haha, thanks. My arms area already getting darker.

Hopefully I’ll be okay with some hiking while I take it easy on my back. I can’t get too far hiking anyway, with a 3 year old with us.

I can see the Sandia Mountains from my house. I think it’s only an hour and a half drive.

I feel your pain I’ve been put out of the gym a few times for lower back pain, and I screwed three times moving furniture, one of those times It was so bad all I could do was lay on the floor for three days (bed was still at my old apt. 120 miles away) I had to crawl in pain to get to around my place. It always heals up with nothin’ but rest.

Charles Poliquin says crunches and reverse crunches on a swiss ball with an emphasis on the stretch will help protect you back. He explains how it all works in his book Poliquin Principals. I can post the details if anyone wants to know. Anyways the first time I did these 2 months ago I just did 2-3 sets and my abs were sore for a week.
I hope doing these will keep my back right.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Charles Poliquin says crunches and reverse crunches on a swiss ball with an emphasis on the stretch will help protect you back. [/quote]

Dead lifts and rack pulls making a strong back is the best protection. Reverse crunches on a swiss ball? Get the fuck outta here. Want a strong core with the added benefit of stability? Do a lot of (heavy) squats.

Pf. My estimation of Poliquin has gone down several notches.

I do all that but and I still get problems from time to time. I always thought you needed strong abs to help balance the lower back muscles.

Look I’m not saying they’ll work but with injury being an obstacle to progress I’m going to keep an open mind and give em a try. Hopefully I won’t ever have to miss a deadlift or squat day again because my lower back.

Rest…rest rest.

A couple weeks won’t kill you. Get to a doc and make sure you know if it’s a muscular issue or worse a herniated disc in the L4 on the right side.

[quote]kroby wrote:
Hagar wrote:
Charles Poliquin says crunches and reverse crunches on a swiss ball with an emphasis on the stretch will help protect you back.

Dead lifts and rack pulls making a strong back is the best protection. Reverse crunches on a swiss ball? Get the fuck outta here. Want a strong core with the added benefit of stability? Do a lot of (heavy) squats.

Pf. My estimation of Poliquin has gone down several notches.[/quote]

Kroby…if you do have serious back issues your approach just makes it WORSE…I speak from experience.

I knew a power lifter at my old gym that blew out his back doing a triple on the squat with over 800 lbs on the bar. Took him out of competition for a year or so. I’m not sure but maybe, just maybe if he had been doing those swiss ball crunches he could of saved his back…???

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Kroby…if you do have serious back issues your approach just makes it WORSE…I speak from experience.

[/quote]

Dude. After having two back surgeries at the L4/L5 junction and years of nagging back injuries BECAUSE I didn’t strengthen the muscles back there after the surgeries… I think I know what the hell I’m talking about. I am an expert on back injuries. I’ve lived them and through them. My back hasn’t been injured since the day I started actively strengthening it from the glutes to my neck. This, strangely, coincides with the day I started dead lifting.

I know when to shut it down, which I offered as advice to SWR. A swiss ball and crunches will not strengthen back muscles. To prevent your brick house from collapse, you make it bullet-proof. You line the walls with steel. You pile drive moorings into the ground. You don’t protect it with kid gloves and allow age and lack of use weaken the structure.

SWR didn’t say he has pain radiating down either of his legs. No lack of bowel control. Thus, no sciatica. No bulging or ruptured disk. Long duration of sitting will yield (via ergonomics) poor circulation of blood to muscular tissue.

I’m not saying to do these now. Do them when you’re healthy. But do them! Don’t substitute back exercises with no back exercises. That’s the dumbest thing you could do.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
I knew a power lifter at my old gym that blew out his back doing a triple on the squat with over 800 lbs on the bar. Took him out of competition for a year or so. I’m not sure but maybe, just maybe if he had been doing those swiss ball crunches he could of saved his back…??? [/quote]

You don’t think the fact that he had 800 pounds on a bar had anything to do with it???!!!???

Holy Shit. No. A swiss ball would not have saved his ass.

My point being heavy squats are not the be all end all of developing a healthy back. Good ab strength helps to support the spine I heard it over and over from credible people to the point where its common knowledge.

Now I’m sure after your 2 years of “smart” training you know better than a guy who trains Olympic athletes for a living. Wow I impressed Shit can hire you to train me since your such an expert? I’ll pay good money to bask in your omnipotence.

[quote]kroby wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

Dude. After having two back surgeries at the L4/L5 junction and years of nagging back injuries BECAUSE I didn’t strengthen the muscles back there after the surgeries… I think I know what the hell I’m talking about. I am an expert on back injuries. I’ve lived them and through them. My back hasn’t been injured since the day I started actively strengthening it from the glutes to my neck. This, strangely, coincides with the day I started dead lifting.

I’m not saying to do these now. Do them when you’re healthy. But do them! Don’t substitute back exercises with no back exercises. That’s the dumbest thing you could do.[/quote]

No one here is saying not to do lower back exercises. But your recommending heavy squats and rack pulls to a guy with a bad back? Look, I love lifting heavy but I get more problems in my lower back lifting heavy than I do using lighter weight.