Fat and Estrogen?

Hello,
Could someone tell me what is it about fat that exaserbates the estrogen sides, i would ask in jakes thread but probably get lost.
Cheers

I’m not exactly sure what you mean. Lipid deposits don’t directly exaggerate estrogen’s attributes. In any case they are often mutually inexeclusive, but by no means, to my knowledge, does pre-existing fat act synergetically with free-floating estrogen. Insulin, cortisone, LDL, and bile on the other hand, is another story.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Again, I may be wrong on this, but would you not mean “the more surface area in multilocular cells, the more aromatisation can occur in any given moment” ? My understanding is the body has a set number of adipocytes and does not produce more, but rather the membrane expands as to accomodate for more lipid droplets stored within the membrane. So the aromatisation would, in any case, be more an issue of estrogen being introduced rather than adipocytes being involved.

Hm, again, I could be wrong. My background in physiology and biology leaves something to be desired.

You can indeed produce more adipocytes, I think where you are getting mixed up is once you have them they dont go away. Ie: You get fat, you gain more adipocytes and fill them, but when you loose the flab they empty but the cellular structure is still there. Good example of this is when obese people have gastric bypass surgery and they have that hanging skin on their stomach, which is skin filled with empty adipocytes shrunken to their minimum volume.

Having an excess of adipose cells, therefore, would lead to more aromatization of androgens in your system, though I am not sure if emptying these adipocytes will reduce the activity of the aromatase enzymes in them, but this would make sense as a smaller, empty cell would have a smaller less active E.R. which is where the aromatase enzyme is located.

[quote]Contrl wrote:
Again, I may be wrong on this, but would you not mean “the more surface area in multilocular cells, the more aromatisation can occur in any given moment” ? My understanding is the body has a set number of adipocytes and does not produce more, but rather the membrane expands as to accomodate for more lipid droplets stored within the membrane. So the aromatisation would, in any case, be more an issue of estrogen being introduced rather than adipocytes being involved.

Hm, again, I could be wrong. My background in physiology and biology leaves something to be desired.[/quote]

It makes sense now. Excellent point, tpepper88 and Bushy.

Oh ok i get it :slight_smile:
Cheers people.

[quote]tpepper88 wrote:
You can indeed produce more adipocytes, I think where you are getting mixed up is once you have them they dont go away. Ie: You get fat, you gain more adipocytes and fill them, but when you loose the flab they empty but the cellular structure is still there. Good example of this is when obese people have gastric bypass surgery and they have that hanging skin on their stomach, which is skin filled with empty adipocytes shrunken to their minimum volume.

Having an excess of adipose cells, therefore, would lead to more aromatization of androgens in your system, though I am not sure if emptying these adipocytes will reduce the activity of the aromatase enzymes in them, but this would make sense as a smaller, empty cell would have a smaller less active E.R. which is where the aromatase enzyme is located.

Contrl wrote:

Hm, again, I could be wrong. My background in physiology and biology leaves something to be desired.

[/quote]

I agree, and it's a good thread guys.

But isn’t it also true that you REALLY have to be going at it (porky wise), to begin gaining additional adipocyte cells as opposed to fillin er up with the ones you already have?

I’m pretty sure you have to really be porkin down for the new adipocytes to start making an appearance. Which explains why most people who get a little to moderately “tubby” are able to diet down and exercise and not have the skin flappage that the big mamas and papas have after they attempt to diet down.

Am I right or mistaken about this?

ToneBone

Forgive me if I’m being thick, but I’ve seen this discussed several places, but haven’t really seen an answer to this question:

Is there any evidence that the increased production of estrogen in adipocytes (due to aromatization of test or conversion of androstenedione) actually leads to systemic increases in circulating estrogen…i.e. can estrogen made in adipocytes leave those cells and act either locally (tissues close by) or at a distance. From what I can tell, there’s good evidence for lots of aromatase enzyme within fat cells, but I don’t see much that says it can act anywhere other than the cells it is made in.

If I’m wrong, could someone point me in the right direction…

Thanks,

DS

Can anyone respond to my post above?

Contrl, Bushy, where ya at me hardies?

ToneBone