T Nation

Fat 2 Fast

Just the other day I became addicted to the “Random Article” button and learned a great deal of information on a wide variety of topics. One thing stood out above the rest, however. I want to be fast! I don’t want to be a body builder, so I may be on the wrong site, but I like the people here so far and have to come to rely on your information.

I recently posted about the loss of water weight on the V-Diet. Like I said, I trust your opinions for the most part, and re-evaluated my situation. (That and I had lost 12 lbs. in three days on the V-Diet and my doctor nixed it) So I’m no longer doing it.

Here’s the thing, I’ve set my goal, which is a huge step. I reiterate that I want to be fast. I read up on “50 Yard Dash” and other articles on this site, but how to incorporate that into a strength/fat loss program…I am at a loss.

Help please?

Stats:
24 yo
6’4
340 lbs.
23% BF (just tested)
I have been lifting off and on for two years now.

I have access to most equipment except a chin bar, which I can’t do chins anyway so it doesn’t matter.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Alright, after taking some of my own advice, I’m going to be doing the very simple beginner blast off plan and incorporate sprints on my off days.

So Basically

2 Circuits of 10

Squats
Pull-Downs
Straight leg Deadlift
DB Bench Press
Over Head DB Press
Flutter Kicks for Abs (military style)
Lying Tricep Extension (EZ curl bar)

On off days

5 sprints for 25 yards
rinse and repeat.

I’m going to shoot for three times a week on both and rest for one.

Let me know what you think.

Just totally out of curiosity, where is this need for speed coming from? Is this just something you’ve always wanted to improve?

–Tiribulus->

[quote]Veinshatter wrote:
Just the other day I became addicted to the “Random Article” button and learned a great deal of information on a wide variety of topics. One thing stood out above the rest, however. I want to be fast! I don’t want to be a body builder, so I may be on the wrong site, but I like the people here so far and have to come to rely on your information.

I recently posted about the loss of water weight on the V-Diet. Like I said, I trust your opinions for the most part, and re-evaluated my situation. (That and I had lost 12 lbs. in three days on the V-Diet and my doctor nixed it) So I’m no longer doing it.

Here’s the thing, I’ve set my goal, which is a huge step. I reiterate that I want to be fast. I read up on “50 Yard Dash” and other articles on this site, but how to incorporate that into a strength/fat loss program…I am at a loss.

Help please?

Stats:
24 yo
6’4
340 lbs.
23% BF (just tested)
I have been lifting off and on for two years now.

I have access to most equipment except a chin bar, which I can’t do chins anyway so it doesn’t matter.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.[/quote]

I wonder about this post.

First, I doubt you carry 270-280lbs of lean mass after lifting off and on for a couple of years. Recheck that bf.

Second, at 340, why is speed even near the top of your list of things to do?

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

I wonder about this post.

First, I doubt you carry 270-280lbs of lean mass after lifting off and on for a couple of years. Recheck that bf.

Second, at 340, why is speed even near the top of your list of things to do?

[/quote]

This is a very good question. Notice it asks why is speed near the top of your list, not why do you want to get fast. I think general strength/cardiovascular conditioning and weight loss should be your priorities. Once you get these things moving in the right direction an increase in speed will come along for the ride.

If you havent been doing any running I would NOT start doing sprints. This would be like never touching a weight and going into a full blown west side routine. It is to much to soon and their are simpler easier ways to progress towards your goals.

First thing first.

Yes, I have always wanted to be fast. I suppose you can compare it to the stick kid always wanting to be big and lift heavy.

Again, you could be right, I will have it checked again… nothing is perfect. Also, I am naturally big and have dense bones (So I’m told.)

Why is it important? I’ve always wanted to be fast I guess. (See above) Also, I suppose I am holding a grudge about being big and not being teased about not being able to move or lacking agility, or being able to jump…you know, the typical stereotypes that big people endure. Maybe I’m just now getting my stuff out from being picked on as a kid…I just don’t know.

Anyway, I appreciate someone jumping in with some common sense. I realize that I don’t want to jump into an all out sprint and I need to clarify that.

Thanks again.

[quote]JNeves wrote: I think general strength/cardiovascular conditioning and weight loss should be your priorities. Once you get these things moving in the right direction an increase in speed will come along for the ride.
[/quote]

I second this although an “increase” in speed is not the same as being very fast. Don’t be heartbroken if you never do get as fast as you may want to. In the meantime if you make growing some meat your immediate goal, at your size, everything alse being sensible, you should lean up a bit too. You may also find after a while that speed is no longer as important and being big and built is more fun :smiley:

Also unless you have health issues, don’t expect the average doctor to be much help with nutrition and fitness goals. They can fix you when you’re broke, but they’re usually clueless at best about sports nutrition and training.

–Tiribulus->

Maybe this will help you:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/strength_training_for_speed.htm

It’s a link on elitefts website for a Parisi Strength Training for Speed: DVD Review…

Might be worth looking into!

UserRamma

Thanks guys, for all the input, I really appreciate it.

I’m going to look at that site right now.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
JNeves wrote: I think general strength/cardiovascular conditioning and weight loss should be your priorities. Once you get these things moving in the right direction an increase in speed will come along for the ride.

I second this although an “increase” in speed is not the same as being very fast. Don’t be heartbroken if you never do get as fast as you may want to. In the meantime if you make growing some meat your immediate goal, at your size, everything alse being sensible, you should lean up a bit too. You may also find after a while that speed is no longer as important and being big and built is more fun :smiley:

Also unless you have health issues, don’t expect the average doctor to be much help with nutrition and fitness goals. They can fix you when you’re broke, but they’re usually clueless at best about sports nutrition and training.

–Tiribulus->[/quote]

That last statement is so true. Sprinting isn’t something you jump into. Like other people said, I’d recommend losing weight before you start such a high impact activity. When you do start running I would focus more on low intensity and volume first then work up. Good luck.