T Nation

fasting and mass gains

I have read disputing articles on protein fasting. Trouble is, I'm forced to fast (according to religious convictions) twice a week from all meat, poultry, blooded-fish, and dairy products. The only seafood I can eat consists of species like shrimp or lobster but my budget is not that loose and this menu is high in the toxin urea. My goals are set for massive muscle gains. Soy-containing meals are NOT an option... I take about 4 shakes every fasting day, consisting of whey protein isolates, calcium caseinate, and hydrolyzed whey protein mixed with water, not milk. The fast is obviously very strict. Peanuts are a decent source of protein and fat but the toilet experience makes me cringe. With the shakes alone I get about 240 grams of protein. Question 1: will living off the shakes for 2 days a week damage my digestive tract since I have no solid food available for chemical synthesis? Manufacturers warn against using protein shakes as meals. (is this because they fear vitamin/mineral depletion?)

Question 2: are there any foods recommended that fit within the guidelines I’ve mentioned?
Question 3: is seafood like shrimp, lobster and crabmeat a sensible source of protein for bodybuilders?
Question 4: inquiring about the brighter side of things - does the biweekly fast help me at all in the gym besides cleansing the blood?
Thank you all very much. I love T-mag!

I would think whey and caseinate would be considered dairy products, given that they COME FROM MILK. I don’t see how they could be acceptable if you can’t consume dairy products. Maybe I’m wrong, but it just seems that would be a bitch to make such effort to sacrifice only to screw yourself by mistake.

hmm… I’m curious as to which religion has you fating 2wice a week, and is this every week? and why did you use the word forced? if its your religion isn’t this a choice? hmm…

“Question 1: will living off the shakes for 2 days a week damage my digestive tract since I have no solid food available for chemical synthesis?” - No the shakes will not hurt you. Why do you have no solid food. Can’t you eat some carbohydrates and get some fiber? “Manufacturers warn against using protein shakes as meals. (is this because they fear vitamin/mineral depletion?)” - It is because some people who are not so enlightened will only eat these shakes to lose weight, therefore robbing their body of all the wonderful benefits of whole food. “Question 2: are there any foods recommended that fit within the guidelines I’ve mentioned?” - Eat some real food - beans, nuts, vegetables, peas, legumes and many others have a good source of protein and will provide lots of other wonderful nutrients. “Question 3: is seafood like shrimp, lobster and crabmeat a sensible source of protein for bodybuilders?” Yes “Question 4: inquiring about the brighter side of things - does the biweekly fast help me at all in the gym besides cleansing the blood?” Complicated question - depending on what else you are doing it might, but it sounds like you are on a protein only diet based on your post and that is a recipe for failure. There is much more to bodybuilding nutrition than just protein.

thanks everyone! the religion by the way is Eastern Orthodox Christianity. as we exercise our body, let us also exercise our souls. when we die we shall be torn from these exquisite physiques and the soul will only remain - scary isn’t it? let us prepare our souls for death even as we strengthen the body which God gave us. peace everyone!

Maybe you should quit that silly religion and get with the program.

Hey man I am eastern Orthodox as well. I was always under the impresion that fish was ok (woops). I however am not as strict as you - I only do the fast during lent and have up till now thought dairy and fish was ok. Stay strong man that is real respectable.