T Nation

Fastest Recovery After Injury?

Hi All,
It's been 3 weeks since I dislocated and broke my ankle. I have 3 screws holding various bone fragments together. The cast was removed a little more than a week ago.

The Dr. wanted me to begin to move the ankle (which at this point seems like a monumental task) but no weight. I try moving it as much as I can but was wondering if anyone has any tips that may decrease the healing time, range of motion etc. Is a stretch and hold technique best?

Also is a small dose of ibuprofen to reduce inflammation a good or a bad thing? I've read mixed reviews.

My next appt. is in 3 weeks but if I can get a jump on the range I'm that much further ahead.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Cruz.

I've got a great tip for increasing healing time! Take your broken ankle, raise above heart level then smash it down on to a big metal spike!

However if you would like to decrease healing time then use the RICE method, rest, ice, compression and elevation.
the first two being the most important in my opinion.

Ha ha, you know what I meant:-)

Thanks!

NSAID's should be fine. Consult your physician 1st.

Time and R.I.C.E! best recovery method.

If you still have swelling and bruising around the ankle RICE would be very beneficial. If, however, the swelling is gone won't so much.

To regain ROM in your ankle you have to start with the most basic movements. To start use a towel or a belt and pull your ankle into all of its range of motions. Thats toes up, down, in and out. Thats dorsi flexion, plantar flexion, inversion, and eversion for you anatomy freaks.

What you do is pull or push your ankle until you feel a restriction, then with gentle oscillations push past the restriction. Once you have increased your ROM some, you need to teach your muscles to actively move your ankle through that new ROM.