Faster Recovery?

Hey guys, I’ve been doing a lot of strength training and I’ve noticed that my legs take anywhere from 2-4 days to recover! Does anyone have any tips to help recover faster? I’m 15, I get at least 8 hours of sleep, and my diet consists of lean meats, peanut butter, fruits and veggies, and milk. My workout is ala Westside by DeFranco. I have tried cold/hot showers, massages, etc. Anyone got anymore tips or advice?

A ton to eat not just solid diet but a hypocaloric diet. Walks/extra workouts LIGHT get the blood flowing. That and just get used to it. Your new to this your work capacity will raise in time.

Keep doing the contrast showers as needed, massage and add some of the above. Maybe linament as well.

Best of luck,
Phill

I read an article last month based on a study at a university…They found 48 hours to be the optimal time for your muscles to recover and then it’s time to train them again.

So anyway, if you still have just a little bit of soreness, I’d say that’s fine and I’d probably train right through it as long as your lifts are decreasing.

Other than that, just make sure you’re not overworking your legs. How many sets/reps and of what are you doing?

Look into the Biotest BCAA’s, they are great for recovery. Of course your diet and sleep pattern are the most important.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=551687

[quote]deapee wrote:
I read an article last month based on a study at a university…They found 48 hours to be the optimal time for your muscles to recover and then it’s time to train them again.

So anyway, if you still have just a little bit of soreness, I’d say that’s fine and I’d probably train right through it as long as your lifts are decreasing.

Other than that, just make sure you’re not overworking your legs. How many sets/reps and of what are you doing?[/quote]

YES most studies have shown that the primary process of repair and growth are DONE within 48 hours. The problem with this is that there tends to be a build-up of excessive microtrauma limited to e few small areas such as attachment points.

[quote]sciencewolverine wrote:
Hey guys, I’ve been doing a lot of strength training and I’ve noticed that my legs take anywhere from 2-4 days to recover! Does anyone have any tips to help recover faster? I’m 15, I get at least 8 hours of sleep, and my diet consists of lean meats, peanut butter, fruits and veggies, and milk. My workout is ala Westside by DeFranco. I have tried cold/hot showers, massages, etc. Anyone got anymore tips or advice?[/quote]

Man, I know exactly where you’re coming from. As I sit here with my legs sore as hell, due to yesterdays heavy split squats and an EMS session, I can’t help but find myself in the same boat.

It’s good you’re getting enough to eat and are trying recovery modalities, but for the most part, soreness is something you just have to get used to after an intense leg day. Other than just getting used to it though, I do have one recommendation. Every day go through a few circuits of high rep (25-50) bodyweight exercises. I use walking lunges, goodmornings, and ATG squats. It’ll get blood flowing into your legs and should help recovery.

Best of luck,
RJ

I usually do something like this:

Bicycle warmup 5 minutes
Squats Warmup sets x3
Work up to 4rm Squat
SLDL 4x7
Hamstring Curls 4x6
Calf Raises 4xfailure
Incline Cooldown 5 minutes

[quote]deapee wrote:

Other than that, just make sure you’re not overworking your legs. How many sets/reps and of what are you doing?[/quote]

You also have to factor in a few things. this is posted in the strenght sports section so he’s Prob not having aesthetics as #1 in his training but more for performance so healing near 100% is a wanted thing.

Then also the BIG whack the CNS takes and time for it to heal etc. I know after a VERY heavy day sometimes for 3-4 days I wont feel right not muscle/physical wise but just not right.

But in the end sure you’ll get more effecient at healing in time but listen to your body. you cant go 100% all the time some days have to be diferent still hard training but not so heavy etc.

Rest up, eat well, do some light GPP stuff like mentioned and listen to what your body says train HARD but train smart.

When I played college ball we used to jump in tubs of ice after practice and then jump in a hot tub after. You can do the same thing in the shower…run it hot for 2 mins then make it extremely cold for 30 secs and repeat it a few times. Doing that completely killed any soreness I had. It shocks your CNS and I think it also plays a role in flushing out lactic acid.

Sorry just re-read the bottom part and saw the shower thing didnt work…