Fasted HIIT Cardio?

This is bugged me for a long time. Why is it okay to train in a fasted state with 10g amigos, but not okay to do hitt cardio. From what I have read hitt cardio has a similar effect on the body as weight training.

Amigos?

When your AMIGOS are there, they’ve got your back in case any muscle wasting steps up trying to cause a problem. They’ll also match you shot for shot with protein shakes, and licking Surge powder off of any bar maid’s stomachs.

The 5am drunken Burrito Binges are the stories of legend as well.

S

[quote]taylor_1989 wrote:
This is bugged me for a long time. Why is it okay to train in a fasted state with 10g amigos, but not okay to do hitt cardio. From what I have read hitt cardio has a similar effect on the body as weight training. [/quote]

Might be easier to look for the answer to why its not a good idea to lift weights fasted.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Amigos?

[/quote]
Aminos my bad

I’ve been experimenting with IF (intermittent Fasting) for the past few months. Despite what many on here think/say, i’ve seen fantastic results. I’ve lost no strength, in fact i’ve gotten stronger, and lost between 1%-2&BF. Granted, i am not attempting to become a huge BBer, But at 5’10 195lbs, i’m not necessarily small. I wake up to a protein shake of whey/casein, and take BCAAs (scivation) and Beta-alanine before my weight training, and HIIT sessions, so i would consider them fasted.

I don’t know the science behind it exactly, however BCAAs play a crucial role in limiting protein breakdown, as well as stoking protein synthesis, leucine being one of the most beneficial. I was hesitant at first to train fasted, and it takes some getting used to, but i don’t think i’ll ever go back to pre-workout calories.

^ eighttofive: injecting IF into every possible thread on T-Nation. Even in the bodybuilding forum, despite “not attempting to become a huge BBer.”

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
^ eighttofive: injecting IF into every possible thread on T-Nation. Even in the bodybuilding forum, despite “not attempting to become a huge BBer.”[/quote]

Haters gunna hate. Just began IF a few weeks ago and have been loving it. I have only been training four days on a 7 day split. Was thinking about adding in a fasted HIIT session on 1 or 2 of my rest days after 10 grams of bcaa. Eightofive you feel it helps with leaning out?

It’s okay to train fasted in the sense that you must see the spiritual aspect of training. Give it all you got and don’t think about tiny-miny things and learn to see thing in the big picture. It will derive it’s purest sense, guaranteed =)

Training with aminos is not the same thing as training ‘fasted’ aminos count as nutrient content and your body does not respond as it would training truely fasted. Training HIIT with Aminos would be fine. Truely fasted HIIT is not advisable nor should you want to. Sufficient decent studies show greater energy expediture, net energy expenditure training with the presence of some nutrients like aminos. Not to mention the obvious anti-catabolic (with respect to muscle catabolism) effects.

I do inject, and interject that >80% of readers/posters on this website do not have the intention, let alone the genetics, to become a “huge BBer”. I do not intend on competing, like many here. However, wish to be a stronger, healthier, more badass version of myself. I am working towards this “goal”, one that i am quite pleased will have no end, using IF. I see results, and wish to share.

gkeeper. Yes, i believe it is helping me lean out. Whether it is directly related to the fasting protocols, or simply because it helps me restrict/monitor calorie intake better than other “diets”. That a personal opinion. However, many other people have experienced the same results/progress following the IF scheme.

Yea, I was referring to the fasted HIIT training. I realize that IF helps one to lean out.

[quote]putter2712 wrote:
Training with aminos is not the same thing as training ‘fasted’ aminos count as nutrient content and your body does not respond as it would training truely fasted. Training HIIT with Aminos would be fine. Truely fasted HIIT is not advisable nor should you want to.
[/quote]
Agree with this.
If you’re taking a whey/casein shake and aminos before training you’re not training “fasted” at all.

When i do HIIT sessions, i always consume 10-15g BCAAs during the workout. And yes, they most definitely help shed some excess body fat.

In all honesty, fasted HIIT is a TERRIBLE idea (and often reflects a preoccupation with fatloss at the expense of performance. which is a mistake, though likely a common one)

But nevermind me or anyone, try it out for yourself and see how much it sucks (in every way) as compared to a properly-fueled HIIT session…

[quote]chillain wrote:
In all honesty, fasted HIIT is a TERRIBLE idea (and often reflects a preoccupation with fatloss at the expense of performance. which is a mistake, though likely a common one)

But nevermind me or anyone, try it out for yourself and see how much it sucks (in every way) as compared to a properly-fueled HIIT session…

[/quote]
Definitely agree with this, you do NOT wanna try fasted HIIT, hell fasted LISS is a controversial topic in itself, much less HIIT. Fasted HIIT may even bring about the adverse, opposite effect of the goal(s) you’re trying to achieve. At the very least, just use a minimal calorie protein shake for a trial and see if that provides you with enough energy for your HIIT session, spares you the catabolism, and helps you shred excess fat with few calories. At least this way, during the next few hours when your metabolism is in high ass kicking gear, you can support your muscles (prime them for growth and getting the fat layers off)

I don’t buy into the idea that doing cardio fasted has any benefit.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I don’t buy into the idea that doing cardio fasted has any benefit.[/quote]

It makes you burn calories

[quote]NinjaLEO wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[/quote]
Definitely agree with this, you do NOT wanna try fasted HIIT, hell fasted LISS is a controversial topic in itself, much less HIIT. Fasted HIIT may even bring about the adverse, opposite effect of the goal(s) you’re trying to achieve. At the very least, just use a minimal calorie protein shake for a trial and see if that provides you with enough energy for your HIIT session, spares you the catabolism, and helps you shred excess fat with few calories. At least this way, during the next few hours when your metabolism is in high ass kicking gear, you can support your muscles (prime them for growth and getting the fat layers off)[/quote]
Agreed… the only thing I’d do fasted after waking up is walking my dog for 30-45 minutes, and that’s the extent of it. Even then I’ll take a hit of MAG-10 as soon as I’m out of bed.

Like lifting, something like HIIT should be geared towards performance. The benefits for fat loss may be greater short-term if you do it fasted with only some ‘amigos’ in your body, but I think in the long-term, your results will be much more beneficial if you are sufficiently fueled up for your HIIT sessions. Also, the chance of losing muscle definitely is there, especially for those with more muscle on their frame.

As for walking fasted, I think it’s freaking awesome and there’s definitely something to it right after waking. As Dr. Lowery said, “Because body fat is vulnerable at this time. It’s weak because your insulin level is at rock bottom in the morning. Fat is left unprotected. This is the ideal time to maximally oxidize fat with a cardio-type of activity, tripling fat mobilization over already high resting values.”

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]NinjaLEO wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[/quote]
Definitely agree with this, you do NOT wanna try fasted HIIT, hell fasted LISS is a controversial topic in itself, much less HIIT. Fasted HIIT may even bring about the adverse, opposite effect of the goal(s) you’re trying to achieve. At the very least, just use a minimal calorie protein shake for a trial and see if that provides you with enough energy for your HIIT session, spares you the catabolism, and helps you shred excess fat with few calories. At least this way, during the next few hours when your metabolism is in high ass kicking gear, you can support your muscles (prime them for growth and getting the fat layers off)[/quote]
Agreed… the only thing I’d do fasted after waking up is walking my dog for 30-45 minutes, and that’s the extent of it. Even then I’ll take a hit of MAG-10 as soon as I’m out of bed.

Like lifting, something like HIIT should be geared towards performance. The benefits for fat loss may be greater short-term if you do it fasted with only some ‘amigos’ in your body, but I think in the long-term, your results will be much more beneficial if you are sufficiently fueled up for your HIIT sessions. Also, the chance of losing muscle definitely is there, especially for those with more muscle on their frame.

As for walking fasted, I think it’s freaking awesome and there’s definitely something to it right after waking. As Dr. Lowery said, “Because body fat is vulnerable at this time. It’s weak because your insulin level is at rock bottom in the morning. Fat is left unprotected. This is the ideal time to maximally oxidize fat with a cardio-type of activity, tripling fat mobilization over already high resting values.”[/quote]

I can see where you are coming from in that respect, but What about the 36 hour pulse fast? You still train when doing the fast, in some form of circuit , nd that is practically hitt. Or have I got it the concept wrong?