Fasted HIIT and Weights (Warrior Diet)

I’ve been following the Warrior Diet for most of the year and over the summer switched my training to fasted at around 6am - just to see what it was like.

I’ve stuck to it since, enjoy getting it out the way and since bumping up my cals for the feast have seen some gains as well. (I take BCAA’s during workout and 1 scoop whey PWO blended with some veg and blueberries).

Now I want to get some HIIT into my workouts but get the feeling doing so after weights in the AM will leave me KO’d for the rest of the day. Would it be best to add it in a couple of times per week later in the day, just before the feeding time?

I’m concerned about the nutrition and recovery side of it, if I were to start it later in the day should there be anything pre considering there’s about an 8 hour gap since my AM workout? Or would you suggest just throwing it in after the AM workout and added an extra scoop of whey post?

[quote]arcadia wrote:
I’m concerned about the nutrition and recovery side of it, if I were to start it later in the day should there be anything pre considering there’s about an 8 hour gap since my AM workout? Or would you suggest just throwing it in after the AM workout and added an extra scoop of whey post? [/quote]

Interval work can be very stressful, and I would advise against doing it in such a completely unfed state unless you want to risk unneccesary muscle loss.

I like to make sure I’ve got some fuel in the tank before training, even if it’s “just” a cardio session.

S

Thanks for the response.

Considering the benefits of HIIT are what happens after the training, would it be beneficial to eat a protein/carb meal an hour so before HIIT, then going home and continuing the feed as normal?

I always get carbs in me before HIIT. You’ll have some folks who don’t fully understand what’s going on tell you otherwise, but it’s all about having the most productive session that you can IMO.

S

I follow the same principles for over a year now and do everything fasted, with the exception of bcaa and a stim. I make sure that my HIIT is on a day of its own AFTER a lifting day. The reason I do it this way is because the lifting day is pretty high carb. High enough to sustain a 25-40 min HIIT workout the next day 2-3 hours before breaking the fast. Those days (HIIT days) are low carb. Typically all eaten when the fast is broken after the HIIT training. I would not recommend doing it after training as it would be just too much.

I posted about this (fasted HIIT/sprints) in an earlier thread.

In my experience, both pre-workout BCAA’s AND experience w/fasted training are highly recommended.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I always get carbs in me before HIIT. You’ll have some folks who don’t fully understand what’s going on tell you otherwise, but it’s all about having the most productive session that you can IMO.

S[/quote]

Lacking experience w/fasted training, I’m 110% with Stu here.

Fuel yourself before HIIT and focus on performance and progressive improvement there.

Thanks for the help guys.

I had a feeling fueling before HIIT would be the only way to go really. I learned the hard way a couple of years back how tough HIIT can be on an empty stomach let alone on a full fasting diet.

Gonna give it a go on a lifting day. So lift AM, break the fast around 4pm, HIIT at 5pm, continue feeding window after. See how I go otherwise it’s having it’s own day in the PM.

If you’re doing the WD you must be aware Hofmekler advocates ‘underfeed’ meals pre and post workout, depending on your schedule. There is no need to train totally fasted. I suggest you read more of his works. there is some free stuff over on Chad Waterbury’s site that specifically covers workout nutrition.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
If you’re doing the WD you must be aware Hofmekler advocates ‘underfeed’ meals pre and post workout, depending on your schedule. There is no need to train totally fasted. I suggest you read more of his works. there is some free stuff over on Chad Waterbury’s site that specifically covers workout nutrition.[/quote]

I usually take a couple of scoops of Jack3D and sip on Xtend for workouts followed by a veg/whey mix in the blender post. Intensity in the gym is good but I’ve had to accept some strength loss so I adjusted to it (speed/explosive over low/heavy for compounds).

I haven’t actually read a lot of info about underfeeds pre workout, so I’ll check it out and see how much can be consumed without technically breaking fast. Cheers.

For the HIIT I’ll have a good protein/carb meal pre, see how my performance is baring in mind I trained earlier that day. Hopefully the ‘underfeed’ meal pre will help give max performance otherwise as I posted prior I’ll move HIIT to it’s own day completely.

[quote]arcadia wrote:

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
If you’re doing the WD you must be aware Hofmekler advocates ‘underfeed’ meals pre and post workout, depending on your schedule. There is no need to train totally fasted. I suggest you read more of his works. there is some free stuff over on Chad Waterbury’s site that specifically covers workout nutrition.[/quote]

I usually take a couple of scoops of Jack3D and sip on Xtend for workouts followed by a veg/whey mix in the blender post. Intensity in the gym is good but I’ve had to accept some strength loss so I adjusted to it (speed/explosive over low/heavy for compounds).

I haven’t actually read a lot of info about underfeeds pre workout, so I’ll check it out and see how much can be consumed without technically breaking fast. Cheers.

For the HIIT I’ll have a good protein/carb meal pre, see how my performance is baring in mind I trained earlier that day. Hopefully the ‘underfeed’ meal pre will help give max performance otherwise as I posted prior I’ll move HIIT to it’s own day completely. [/quote]

Let us know how it goes because I’m doing a variation of WD myself but have actually eliminated all carbs with the exception of greens, cruciferous veg, etc, for the last 17 days. I weight train 5 days per week with workouts lasting on average 25mins and train fasted (apart from carb-free peri-WO nutrition). I also pulse 1-2 times a day using Humapro or BCAAs. I’ve not encountered any issues with this so far. Bear in mind though the short workouts. I am keen to introduce sprints 1-2 times per week on off days to improve fitness and conditioning. For me that will be sessions lasting 8 mins or so also done fasted (apart from similar per-WO). Obviously will monitor for any drop in performance/recovery and adjust diet/training. accordingly.

Had a blast this morning, a banana, couple of raw eggs and some BCAA’s about an hour before. Ran outside in my parents garden, quite large so sprinted up and jogged back, probably managed about 10 sets before I was creamed - gonna be a slow way back to fitness.

Post I had a tuna salad and a slice of seeded wholegrain bread. Thought I’d try consume the minimum, see how I felt later on.

Honestly, not too good. Quite worn out by the end of the day, cheat meal this afternoon so had a huge 3 course dinner at TGI’s which barely touched the sides.

Plan on giving it a go one afternoon this week. As I train AM my plan is to consume a PWO shake with some greens and a little fruit at 8am, then after work eat a meal - probably some oatmeal with a protein shake - go do some HIIT and continue the feeding window after. I’ll let you know if it kills me the following day.