Fasted Cardio?

Does fasted cardio work? Does it chew up alot of muscle, or is fat predominantly burned? Is it normally performed at a low, medium, or high intensity?

If fasted cardio is good and I won;t lose alot of muscle doing it, then I have another question: I am currently taking Hot-Rox Extreme. Should I take the HRX before the run and then eat after, or both after?

Thanks

HEy, I can offer my own experience here.. I used to do it in the morning, and yeah it definitley works IMO, but the question is at what expense hmm. My anatomy teacher, a surgeon, said during our course after I asked him about it,that it wasn't good for your body. 

Indeed, that it only saved you maybe 10minutes of fat burning. In other words, they say that normally you don’t get to the fat burning until after like 30 minutes maybe 20 of doing cardio on a stomach that’s had a meal prior to…

and of course the premise for fasted cardio is that the glycogen is completely depleted after the night long fast, which is accurate, and you go right to burning the fat from the minute you get on the ol treadmill…so long as you don’t ingest any type of carb…
The teach said that it simply isn’t quite accurate, that maybe you get to the fat but still after about 15 minutes I believe…

So that's all I know to go on. For me it was more effective, but now I want to stay healthy, and figure Ok I'll have a small meal, like half a bannana or whatever, and then do it.

It's got to be faster at attacking the fat still because you are depleted there's no doubt. But I just think it's healthier for there to be some small amount of food there for the body, it might also allow for a more intense effort or longer effort timewise.

As far as the HOT-ROX or any other stim... I would say take it before, like a half hour or 20 minutes. then you're metabolism is higher than normal, thus you burn more calories, and/or fat.

I am doing morning cardio again now but after a tiny to small size meal before, along with a stim. Got some Spike at 7-11 today till my ephedrine gets here in another day or two. Never tried it so looking forward to tomorrow. It looks to be pretty potent, so maybe one cap instead of the recommended two, to try it out.
I know the can says only one per day period,....so it must be strong.
   Anyhow, glad to help you, hope I did...     later, TBone
       P.S. no it shouldn't destroy any muscle tissue, unless you do too much cardio, ie: days per week.
     Hypocaloric too extreme etc.
        good luck dude...

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=835725

Thanks, both of those really help.

I think I’ll have some protein in me for the cardio, so I will be fasted with respect to carbs but not protein.

Hey no problem, glad to be able to give back....if you know what I mean. I get plenty of help here so it was nice to be able to offer some worthy advice to someone also.

I just took two Spike pills and am off for a rather lenthy bike ride with the little girl in tow to the city park now…should be about 2 hours of riding with the 30lb weight bringin up the rear…lol

good cardio on the day off workouts, and let the kid play at the park too… I’ll let you know what I think of the Spike later today…
TBone out brotha…

I think it doesn’t make any difference. There is a possibility that HGH levels are increased with fasted weight training, but I feel like passing out if I try that one.

I think it doesn’t make any difference. There is a possibility that HGH levels are increased with fasted weight training, but I feel like passing out if I try that one.

I have tried it and I must say that I lost alot of muscle doing it. I would do HIIT and I wasted into nothingness. From the explanation I received, it increases cortisol output, which would be indicated by a high abdominal fat skinfold. Interestingly enough, while I did lean out, I had this stubborn fat fold remaining. I dont think its worth it in the long run.

[quote]abominabelsnoman wrote:
Does fasted cardio work? Does it chew up alot of muscle, or is fat predominantly burned? Is it normally performed at a low, medium, or high intensity?

If fasted cardio is good and I won;t lose alot of muscle doing it, then I have another question: I am currently taking HOT-ROX Extreme. Should I take the HRX before the run and then eat after, or both after?

Thanks[/quote]

No, never, can’t be done ever. You’ll pass out on treadmill to suffer a fate similar to george jetson. Or your shoe will get caught in the treadmill (after you pass out), which will cause it to catch on fire and then your gym will burn down.

Try it and see what happens.