'Fasted Cardio' Question

I’m gonna to start doing a pre first meal jog starting tomorrow. I’ll be doing it a few times a week. Here’s my question…I’m almost out of BCAA. And I’m not sure if it’s gonna be in the budget to immediately get more. So, what should I do in regards to nutrients when I wake up? I normally would just take 10g BCAA then go but since I’m out what do I do?

Should I take maybe a half scoop of Grow! or should I just forget about eating anything and just head out. The jog will take me approximately 40 minutes then I will immediately eat so I’d be awake around 1 hour before eating. I just wanna know whether or not I’m gonna do more catabolic damage than fat burning good by having nothing to take before the run.

Any suggestions?

What are your current goals, are you starting a cutting phase? Are you trying to retain all of your current strength? Just trying to lean up a bit?

hey man need to look at ur chub to stud plan to take a look at your progress!

i have done cardio before eating anything for about the last 6-7 months. i have more energy having just woke up, and the only thing i take is any supplement pills that i have at that engineered time… for example i am taking Rez-V and TRIBEX and Beta-7 atm right so although i am now on a maintenance dose of beta, i take it every 8 hours. the Rez-V and TRIBEX i take together in the morning, then TRIBEX again 8 hours later… the point is (and i have it difficult here being in the marines as my sleep patterns differ every day!) dont take anything that needs digesting… only take your pills if thats what the time dictates…

however, i think there are some who would say that cardio before you eat anything when wanting to build muscle will do some damage yes BUT the returns on stripping away body fat and starting your bodies natural metabolism for me far outweighs the ‘suspected’ damage to your muslces…

thus my answer is to not have anything at all bar your supplement pills (if you take any)… just get up, take 10 mins to wake up your body, do some dynamic stretching and get your ass running… after doing it for a while, you feel a further sort of armour around you, like nothing can touch you illness wise and stuff… its a quality feeling trust me, especially when you see fat b’s walking by you int he street…

and gs cardio is really my thing so if you need any advice or whatever, just ask mate…

scott

Just trying to lean up a bit. I haven’t been doing cardio really as of late, I finished 4 weeks of normal dieting, four of V-Dieting and am in my second transition week. I just want to lean up a bit while still adding back my calories and starting to build on that. I’m working up to maintenence calories and am going to start the Anabolic Diet at about maintenance calories and just want to use my added cardio/conditioning to lean out and maintain leaness once I work up to caloric surplus.

Need to get cardio back in and pre-breakfast is the best way I’ll do it. I don’t wanna get in an HIIT/steady state arguement…I do Tabata cycle sprints as well. Thats not what I’m interested in…

The idea is to make the jog as ‘fat burning’ as possible without going severely catabolic.

Noveldex, thanks for your advice that was very helpful and I do mean that honestly. I finished the V-Diet a week ago today, i was pretty happy with my results, feel free to swing by my thread I’m keeping it going.

My supplements will be about 620mg of ECGC when I wake up and 5g of BCAA as long as is last (which will be about a week).

Good thoughts on not taking anything to digest, I kinda felt that the fat burning effect would outweigh the negatives like you said. Considering I’m following a good nutritional plan and hitting the gym hard.

So Noveldex, you really find the pre-breakfast cardio good for stripping the fat/staying lean ey?

Lemme know how this goes as I’m thinkin of doing this as well.

How what goes? The jogging or the anabolic diet?

The jogging, I’m on day 16 of v-diet and plan on switching over to AD and doing fasted cardio as well (possibly with some bcaas)

I always workout after waking up, weights or cardio. I get up 730 am, drink 1 scoop whey+12oz water at 745 and do my workout at 800. I feel great working out with just the water+whey on a empty stomach. I feel sluggish and weak if i eat anything before.

Also works up a nice appetite and makes for a great breakfast after

I used to do a 3.5 mile job before breakfast every morning and never found it to be overly detrimental to my gains. Keep in mind I ate a mountain of food after.

You will be fine.

just be sure to ingest about 10g of BCAA and you’ll be good to go

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
My supplements will be about 620mg of ECGC when I wake up and 5g of BCAA as long as is last (which will be about a week).

Good thoughts on not taking anything to digest, I kinda felt that the fat burning effect would outweigh the negatives like you said. Considering I’m following a good nutritional plan and hitting the gym hard.

So Noveldex, you really find the pre-breakfast cardio good for stripping the fat/staying lean ey?[/quote]

well i am currently at about 9% body fat so its hard to tell if i am getting any leaner… moring cardio works for me and it will work for the majority out there man so give it a kick…

the KEY thing about morning cardio, and what is very important, is to train your body into thinking it will get moring cardio every day… you should not got 48hours without morning cardio… so if you do it on the monday, make sure you do it on the tuesday then have the wednesday off, then do the thursday and friday have the saturday and sunday off start again monday yeah…

doing it this way has completely changed my metabolism… i have never had the fastest metabolism, but along with doing this and eating smaller meals every three or four hours, i have found it go through the frickin roof… personally i think that doing morning cardio and fooling your body into think that its going to get it every morning is alot like training it to get hungry every 3 or 4 hours!

as i often work nights (recce patrols and night exercises) i have an irregular sleef pattern… so for me recovery is a big issue, and some days i wish i had more of that but i dont get a choice…

also another thing i have found over the last year at least is to do different cardio effects… dont just jog or run… on the monday do 45mins or RUNNING not jogging, then on the tuesday do 45mins swimming, weds off, thursday an hour walking (where your heart rate gets into the 120-140 zone) then on the friday do a 40-60min JOG…

tailor it to the way your body reacts… have a day off every now and again when you have or are lifting extra hard… trust me your vitality will greatly improve and your smugness at other peoples lack of raw power and fitness will be too much to handle!!!

oha nd i checked your thread out GS and thats one of the best v diet threads i have seen for a while mate! well done you! your being only 18 coupled with the fact that how much discipline it takes to go through with such a transformation means that you are more than ready to push yourself with some good and hard morning cardio! good luck man, you wont regret it!

shh morning cardio my fav. i usually take 15g of protein before hand, nothing fancy

Thanks for the encouragement and tips Noveldex.
I got up this morning and did about 3.2 miles in 27 minutes and 50 seconds, which is way faster than I’ve ever been before. Likely because I’m in the best condition and the lightest I’ve ever been. But either way I did it.
I almost didn’t get out of bed as it was 7:05 A.M. it was still kinda dark and wet outside since it rained last night. But then I had ta piss and realized since I was out of bed I had no excuse so I headed out. I’m glad I did too. I feel energized. Gotta eat now though ;}

Oh and Nov, obviously it keeps you pretty lean if your 9% lol.

haha yeah it really does help, but being in the military i dont get a chance to laze on my ass all day so i am always japslapping, boxing, running, climbing all sorts man so cardio in intervals is the way to get and stay lean!

the thing is you have your diet down and your disciplined like i am with things like that… plus the troops cook is one of my best mates so i always make sure he gives me a little extra of something hehe…

your 3.2 mile time is very good GS… you could be in the military with timings like that mate… ever thought of that? not that i am recommending it or not but the fitter you are the more exciting stuff you get to do if you catch my drift! put it this way, i did my 30miler when i was training last year in 6hours 15 mins and as an officer we have to do it on our own… i trekked the hell out of the hills and the ds just laughed when he said, you could run back to the ctc couldnt ya!!! it was over 70 miles away… i just grinned, got some fresh down and wrapped up in my sleeping bag waiting for some of the others to return!

a men god made us with the ability to push ourselves passed known limits…

[quote]noveldex wrote:

your 3.2 mile time is very good GS… you could be in the military with timings like that mate… .[/quote]

Really? That seems a slow jog to me. Last time I ran 5K that slow I had two kids in a jogging stroller and some huge hills. My brother saw my time posted on line and busted my chops until I told him I was pushing the kids up and down hills.

Not busting on you because you can probably squat a lot more than I can and I am sure you weren’t racing, merely doing a low speed fat burning cardio.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Really? That seems a slow jog to me. Last time I ran 5K that slow I had two kids in a jogging stroller and some huge hills. My brother saw my time posted on line and busted my chops until I told him I was pushing the kids up and down hills.

Not busting on you because you can probably squat a lot more than I can and I am sure you weren’t racing, merely doing a low speed fat burning cardio.[/quote]

No offense taken. I figure 9 minute miles for a little of 3 consecutive miles is pretty good for a guy who used to want to kill himself after jogging one lap around the school track this time last year.

Maybe you’re pretty speedy, it sounds like it. Either way, according to all the calorie calculators I could find online I burned a shitton of calories before breakfast…which is my goal.

I squat pretty good weights/and I’m definitely a thicker slow/twitch kind of guy as far as that respect. However, it has recently occurred to be that I want to be muscular and athletic, not muscular and immobile. So its time to get my conditioning and my cardio on par with my weightlifting, not to mention I want to continue to lean out and stay lean. I didn’t lose 80lbs just to slap the shit back on.

As for the military question, yes I actually I was considering it my junior year of high school even though I was a fat shit. I was thinking more towards attending military school (which is paid for my the U.S. gov’t) then upon graduating you are an officer and opposed to an enlisted man.
However, I opted just to go to regular college.
I’m not totally sure what I want to do yet and my brother is a cop which seems really interesting/testosterone packed (which I certainly am) so law enforcement may be on the horizon yet. Anyway, I’ll probably never go military but some type of law enforcement (preferably so kind of more elite/special type force down the road) is still a possibility.

We will see where life takes me.

And dear god 70 miles. Your the fekking man.