Fast Results Workout for a Teen?

I am 13 years old 146.6 pounds and 5foot 8 and a half inches. I have and athletic physique. I want a work out where i can gain lots of muscle as fast as possible without steroids.

[quote]Evil Dude625 wrote:
I am 13 years old 146.6 pounds and 5foot 8 and a half inches. I have and athletic physique. I want a work out where i can gain lots of muscle as fast as possible without steroids.[/quote]

Welcome aboard, man. The “fast as possible” thing can only go so far. Pure beginners will see size and strength gains relatively easily for the first few months, but then results tend to slow down.

The most important things you need to focus on are consistency in eating and lifting (smart training three or four days a week and smart eating seven days a week), and getting enough rest (no Xbox Live at 2:00am).

Oh, and you may get some grief from other posters for even using the word steroids in your post. There’s no reason to bring them up. Totally irrelevant to what we’re trying to do.

Do you have access to a gym or weights? Do you workout now (if so, what exactly do you do)?

Do you play any sports?

List everything, exactly, that you ate/drank yesterday. (Having plenty of calories, especially protein, is super-important for building muscle.)

I’d suggest something like the following:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Push-ups 2x13
Squat 2x13
Pull-ups (if you can) 1x13
Lunge 2x13
Plank 2x15 seconds
Burpee with jump 2x13

Once all you can get through that routine easily, we’ll progress to free weights.

A. Never mention steroids unnecessarily, You know nothing about them and no one here would recommend them to a 13 year old. Not being rude, just teaching you some etiquette.

B. Read all the newbie articles on this site. Start lifting and dial in your nutrition and you will be lightyears ahead of your age.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Evil Dude625 wrote:
I am 13 years old 146.6 pounds and 5foot 8 and a half inches. I have and athletic physique. I want a work out where i can gain lots of muscle as fast as possible without steroids.

Welcome aboard, man. The “fast as possible” thing can only go so far. Pure beginners will see size and strength gains relatively easily for the first few months, but then results tend to slow down.

The most important things you need to focus on are consistency in eating and lifting (smart training three or four days a week and smart eating seven days a week), and getting enough rest (no Xbox Live at 2:00am).

Oh, and you may get some grief from other posters for even using the word steroids in your post. There’s no reason to bring them up. Totally irrelevant to what we’re trying to do.

Do you have access to a gym or weights? Do you workout now (if so, what exactly do you do)?

Do you play any sports?

List everything, exactly, that you ate/drank yesterday. (Having plenty of calories, especially protein, is super-important for building muscle.)

I’d suggest something like the following:

Push-ups 2x13
Squat 2x13
Lunge 2x13
Plank 2x15 seconds
Burpee with jump 2x13

Once all you can get through that routine easily, we’ll progress to free weights.[/quote]

Honestly, I don’t see a way to make the kid he best athlete he can be without box squats and clean n jerks.
Clean and jerks are overestimated in difficulty to learn. If he gets a few pointers here, box squats are a simple thing to learn too.

One thing I want to tell you since I’m not much older than you and was recently your age, don’t waste your time.

What I mean is, keep on progressing and make your training important. A lot of the athletes are about to start training seriously or maybe already are. At 13 you’ve got a chance to get ahead of a lot of people but if you wait 2 or 3 year you’re gonna be behind a lot of people.

If I look back I’ve got stretches for about 4 or 5 months where I didn’t make any progress and it has really cost me and I would love to have that time back.

Having said that, don’t get caught up with how your numbers compare to other people’s numbers. Good form is a must. You use good form and compare YOUR current numbers to YOUR old numbers. Challenge yourself, but don’t get to the point where you sacrifice your form for a meaningless number. You might want to spend $30 on Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It goes into a ton of depth about all the exercises. $30 might seem like a lot now, but it will be worth it in the long run. You could ask for it as a gift, too, or if you have that kind of parents, have them pay a little bit.

Nutrition can be complicated but you need to know about it and start watching it at least some. Sleep is really simple, though. You have to have it! Get 8 isn’t an achievement. It is a must. You should really be shooting for closer to 10 hours. I know you have school, but you don’t have too much homework yet and you want to set good habits for when you get older. Staying awake late doesn’t make you cool. It just makes you less alert, dumber, and weaker than you should be.

You have everything you need to succeed right here at T-Nation. Good luck.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

Honestly, I don’t see a way to make the kid he best athlete he can be without box squats and clean n jerks.
Clean and jerks are overestimated in difficulty to learn. If he gets a few pointers here, box squats are a simple thing to learn too.[/quote]

Ordinarily I’d agree with you, but the kid’s so young and most likely can’t find a worthwhile teacher for them–no one I’d trust LESS than A.C.E. trainers or Jr. High/High school “weight coaches” or teammates. 'Sides, kid needs just basic movements 'til he can do them, then we can move on to box squats and c/j. Also, it’d be nice if he could learn to olympic squat. He’s real young to start with, should be fairly easy to gain the flexibility. And it’ll keep his knees healthy when he learns it right (to orig. poster–don’t believe what you hear about low squats being bad for the knees man, they really good for them when done RIGHT. Only when done wrong are they dangerous, like most lifts).

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

Clean and jerks are overestimated in difficulty to learn. If he gets a few pointers here, box squats are a simple thing to learn too.[/quote]

He didn’t say anything about wanting to be the best athlete. He said he wanted to add muscle. So the end goal is different.

But before we even consider the goal… the routine I listed is an uber-basic conditioning program (assessment, if you want to call it that) I use especially with kids. It’s just their age in reps for a few sets of some basic calisthenics. Nothing fancy at all.

If the dude can’t do a push-up (full ROM, on the toes) or hold a plank or stabilize for an unweighted lunge, there’s no sense at all jumping right into clean and jerks (one of the top five “money exercises”) and box squats (why box squat before knowing if he can even hit rock bottom with no weight?)

But for adding muscle, once we know he can handle his own bodyweight, cleans and squats could be useful tools.

P.S. - I notice that this kid was getting ripped apart with his other thread in the Steroids section, so I’m wondering if he’ll be back here or if he was scared off.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

Clean and jerks are overestimated in difficulty to learn. If he gets a few pointers here, box squats are a simple thing to learn too.

He didn’t say anything about wanting to be the best athlete. He said he wanted to add muscle. So the end goal is different.

But before we even consider the goal… the routine I listed is an uber-basic conditioning program (assessment, if you want to call it that) I use especially with kids. It’s just their age in reps for a few sets of some basic calisthenics. Nothing fancy at all.

If the dude can’t do a push-up (full ROM, on the toes) or hold a plank or stabilize for an unweighted lunge, there’s no sense at all jumping right into clean and jerks (one of the top five “money exercises”) and box squats (why box squat before knowing if he can even hit rock bottom with no weight?)

But for adding muscle, once we know he can handle his own bodyweight, cleans and squats could be useful tools.

P.S. - I notice that this kid was getting ripped apart with his other thread in the Steroids section, so I’m wondering if he’ll be back here or if he was scared off.[/quote]

Why would i be scared off? I was just curious about the steroids. I wasn’t thinking about using them. And i can handle my own bodyweight.

[quote]Evil Dude625 wrote:
And i can handle my own bodyweight.[/quote]

Does that mean you tried the routine I suggested, or you think you could do it?

And I’d need answers to the four questions in my original post to know more info:

Do you play any sports?

List everything, exactly, that you ate/drank yesterday.

I agree, Can you do this?

Push-ups 2x13
Squat 2x13
Lunge 2x13
Plank 2x15 seconds
Burpee with jump 2x13