Fast Food Question

Hi friends,

So today I was travelling back home with the soccer team in a bus. It was a 4 hour drive so we had decided to stop by some fast food outlets before we started the long trip home.

I had just finished playing 90 monutes of soccer, and was in desperate need for food. I usually do allow myself a little cheat meal after soccer games.

Anyway I had a choice between subway, chicken treat(a bbq chicken place) or dominoes pizza. As I have decided to go wheat free for awhile I decided on chicken treat and I ordered half a chicken and chips. Question is; is this a better choice than lets say for example a chicken subway roll? Are eating deep fried chips better than eating a bread?

What do you eat from fast food when you are forced to? In hindsight I should of had ordered 1 whole chicken and just ate that.

Discuss.

tweet

? Doesn’t that depend on your goals?

If my goal was all out mass, we would have hit up Cici’s pizza and tried to see how long it would take for us to piss off the cook.

[quote]theBird wrote:
As I have decided to go wheat free for awhile I decided on chicken treat and I ordered half a chicken and chips. Question is; is this a better choice than lets say for example a chicken subway roll? Are eating deep fried chips better than eating a bread?[/quote]
Once again, I’m absolutely floored, but not surprised, that you claimed to have a career giving nutrition advice to diabetics, yet still feel the need to ask questions like this.

Obviously if you are trying to avoid wheat, you are just deciding between the lesser of two evils (because we all know fried food isn’t the healthiest thing). I myself don’t mind eating bread from time to time if I’m out (I usually try to stick with rice products, oatmeal, FINiBARS and other peri workout carbs for my carb sources). But dude, you’re not gonna gain 10 pounds of fat and lose muscle from eating “bad” food like this on the rare occasion. Live a little.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
As I have decided to go wheat free for awhile I decided on chicken treat and I ordered half a chicken and chips. Question is; is this a better choice than lets say for example a chicken subway roll? Are eating deep fried chips better than eating a bread?[/quote]
Once again, I’m absolutely floored, but not surprised, that you claimed to have a career giving nutrition advice to diabetics, yet still feel the need to ask questions like this.[/quote]

Wow, I must have missed this in previous posts.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Once again, I’m absolutely floored, but not surprised, that you claimed to have a career giving nutrition advice to diabetics, yet still feel the need to ask questions like this.[/quote]

Wow, I must have missed this in previous posts.
[/quote]

He first made the claim a while back, here:

(bottom of page 1)

And I brought up the issue again recently, where he was asking pretty basic/broad questions about fructose and lactose.

As I’ve said time and time again, this guy chooses to play a character here on the forum rather than discussing things like a normal person.

Chris Colucci- Buddy, relax. Dont worry, I am not a dietician or an endocrinologist. Yes I do have to deal with diabetics, although Im not responsible for their medication or diet. I suppose I should know a little more on their condition, but controlling the disease is not my actual role. Im sorry that my secret identity pisses you off. Deal with it. Enter the Bird!

ashylarryku- thanks for the advice. I will be travelling alot for soccer this year, so maybe a box of finibars will be the way to go.

tweet tweet

[quote]so maybe a box of finibars will be the way to go.

tweet tweet[/quote]

You should bring more than one box, they are delicious and will run out pretty quick.

Guess you can’t be that dedicated to your goals if your on here trying to get people to help you rationalize what you just ate at a fast food joint. Plan ahead or impulse will generally get the best of you.

You just played 90 minutes of soccer.

So…

Who gives a shit? After 90 minutes of prancing about in a large meadow I’d eat whatever the fuck I wanted to.

[quote]anonym wrote:
You just played 90 minutes of soccer.

So…

Who gives a shit? After 90 minutes of prancing about in a large meadow I’d eat whatever the fuck I wanted to.
[/quote]

what he said.

If you ever look into the diets of pro athletes, they’re all over the place.

Some eat very nutritious diets - Steve Nash eats paleo, Prince Fielder is a 260lb vegan.

Some eat total crap - Lamar Odom for instance lives off bags of candy

When it comes to athletic performance in team sports, I get the impression it all comes down to what makes you “feel” good.

Lykos- Buddy, I wasnt asking you to rationalize what I ate… I just brought up the topic as I thought it was an interesting situation. Usually I am pretty good at planning, and in the future I will plan out what I will eat on these away soccer trips(which is every second week). But sometimes life puts you in situations that you do not see coming.

therajraj- Interesting. I remember reading about how an Australian track cyclist(or maybe it was a long jumper), used to eat KFC every single day. I wouldnt be comfortable with doing that. Might work in your early 20s, but I think as you get older nutrition becames more important. No?

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Lykos- Buddy, I wasnt asking you to rationalize what I ate… I just brought up the topic as I thought it was an interesting situation. Usually I am pretty good at planning, and in the future I will plan out what I will eat on these away soccer trips(which is every second week). But sometimes life puts you in situations that you do not see coming.
tweet[/quote]

?

They went out to eat after a game. Who couldn’t see that coming?

Further, how special are you that you could find NOTHING to eat while eating out?

I just don’t get that. If you are in the middle of contest prep, then I can understand. If you are some fitness model with a photo shoot next week, I can understand.

What I don’t get is average looking people making this much of a big deal about what they eat.

I would have eaten what I wanted considering I just depleted my body running around short of pure crap like cookies.

I just think the idea of the average looking guy walking around with an attitude as if he can only eat skinless chicken prepared with olive oil at all times to be a little over the top.

[quote]theBird wrote:
therajraj- Interesting. I remember reading about how an Australian track cyclist(or maybe it was a long jumper), used to eat KFC every single day. I wouldnt be comfortable with doing that. Might work in your early 20s, but I think as you get older nutrition becames more important. No?

tweet[/quote]

Sure, but athletic goals and ‘health’ goals do not always coincide.

A couple year ago, I remember reading a post by Christian Thibaudeau where he said he has one of his clients eat fast food everyday.

It really comes down to the individual - what gives them results and where their preferences lie.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

?

They went out to eat after a game. Who couldn’t see that coming?

Further, how special are you that you could find NOTHING to eat while eating out?

I just don’t get that. If you are in the middle of contest prep, then I can understand. If you are some fitness model with a photo shoot next week, I can understand.

What I don’t get is average looking people making this much of a big deal about what they eat.

I would have eaten what I wanted considering I just depleted my body running around short of pure crap like cookies.

I just think the idea of the average looking guy walking around with an attitude as if he can only eat skinless chicken prepared with olive oil at all times to be a little over the top.[/quote]

I suppose I should of seen it coming, although as it was my first away game of the season with the new team I wasnt thinking too far ahead. Usually after a game I go home and eat, but with my new team there is lots of travelling involved.

I did find something to eat. Chicken and chips.

I understand that after a game is a good time to have my cheat meal, but I prefer to keep a cheat meal up my sleave for times during the week, for example when going out with work colleagues or the gf for dinner. I dont think having 2-3 cheat meals every week is ideal.

And who said Im avegage. I am theBird.

tweet

Subway has salads
no wheat
plenty of meat cheese n veggies

but who could have passed up BBQ chicken after 90 minutes of chasing a ball around a large field?

Cici’s pizza[/quote]

Instant projectile everything.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

Cici’s pizza[/quote]

Instant projectile everything. [/quote]

No whey. I could eat CiCis from dusk to dawn and not even sweat it. I’ve been there once in probably 3 years, but it’s great lol.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi friends,

So today I was travelling back home with the soccer team in a bus. It was a 4 hour drive so we had decided to stop by some fast food outlets before we started the long trip home.

I had just finished playing 90 monutes of soccer, and was in desperate need for food. I usually do allow myself a little cheat meal after soccer games.

Anyway I had a choice between subway, chicken treat(a bbq chicken place) or dominoes pizza. As I have decided to go wheat free for awhile I decided on chicken treat and I ordered half a chicken and chips. Question is; is this a better choice than lets say for example a chicken subway roll? Are eating deep fried chips better than eating a bread?

What do you eat from fast food when you are forced to? In hindsight I should of had ordered 1 whole chicken and just ate that.

Discuss.

tweet[/quote]

Your hindsight option seems the best. After all everything is 20/20 in hindsight.

Most of the replies here are right. It’s got to fit your goals - maybe you need to replenish glycogen after your game?

I also agree you’ve got to live a little. Sometimes you make a detour to keep yourself happy and that way you keep yourself on track.

If this is a regular fixture you should bring food with you. Fruit, whey powder, FINIBAR, whatever.