Fast Food Makes You Fat!

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
swivel wrote:

no i don’t think moot, that’s exactly the point. he could’ve gotten all his base calories from a single meal. but no one’s gonna eat just one meal a day. and if one meal causes you to over-eat, then three of those meals is almost absurd. i think the point was how absurdly easy it is to overeat even when you think you’re just getting your 3 squares.

What if he would have taken the one big meal and spread it out over the whole day as well as munched on a few vegetables? [/quote]

same thing. probably worse. and he was eating vegetables. the irony is he was overeating and at the same time waaaay undernourished… and even hungrier because of it. this means he needed to consume more and more food because the food he was eating wasn’t giving him the nourishment he needed…even though he was “overeating” calories.[quote]

He made a stupid movie that does not prove a thing other than acting like a glutton is not good for you.
[/quote]
most movies are stupid. he only ate 3 meals a day. i think it shows how easily percieved “normal eating” can in fact become gluttonous. most people don’t begin to understand the diffference between what they’re eating and what they think they’re eating until they’ve kept a food log for a month.

[quote]swivel wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
swivel wrote:

no i don’t think moot, that’s exactly the point. he could’ve gotten all his base calories from a single meal. but no one’s gonna eat just one meal a day. and if one meal causes you to over-eat, then three of those meals is almost absurd. i think the point was how absurdly easy it is to overeat even when you think you’re just getting your 3 squares.

What if he would have taken the one big meal and spread it out over the whole day as well as munched on a few vegetables?

same thing. probably worse. and he was eating vegetables. the irony is he was overeating and at the same time waaaay undernourished… and even hungrier because of it. this means he needed to consume more and more food because the food he was eating wasn’t giving him the nourishment he needed…even though he was “overeating” calories.

He made a stupid movie that does not prove a thing other than acting like a glutton is not good for you.

most movies are stupid. he only ate 3 meals a day. i think it shows how easily percieved “normal eating” can in fact become gluttonous. most people don’t begin to understand the diffference between what they’re eating and what they think they’re eating until they’ve kept a food log for a month.
[/quote]

Why are you making excuses for these people? If he would have eaten there three times a day and then worked out for an hour and done 30-45min of cardio everyday, I wonder what would have happened. To come to the conclusion that a particular food is that destructive as if your other daily habits don’t factor into it in a HUGE way makes no sense. There was another guy on the internet who did a trial where he did this and he looked better after a month of it. He is a personal trainer. I think someone here posted the link once. That changes everything.

People in the 1950’s ate just as much as they did today.But people in the 1950’s exercised a lot more and ate healthier foods. I don’t think it’s just calories that is making America obese. I believe it’s a combination of eating too much,not exercising enough,and hormonal imbalances that makes people fat.

People think fast food is just full of calories and thats what makes you fat,but I believe it’s more than that.I think a lot of the cheap ingredients being put into processed foods today create havoc with our bodies.Thats why when you see an obese persons diet,it’s filled with nothing but cheap,processed,man-made sugar/junk foods.

I’ve never seen an obese person eat healthy.Thats because obese people don’t eat for health,they eat for self-gratification.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Why are you making excuses for these people? If he would have eaten there three times a day and then worked out for an hour and done 30-45min of cardio everyday, I wonder what would have happened. To come to the conclusion that a particular food is that destructive as if your other daily habits don’t factor into it in a HUGE way makes no sense. There was another guy on the internet who did a trial where he did this and he looked better after a month of it. He is a personal trainer. I think someone here posted the link once. That changes everything.[/quote]

no disagreement here.

what do you mean by “making excuses” ?

[quote]swivel wrote:
no disagreement here.

what do you mean by “making excuses” ?[/quote]

You wrote this:

This is making excuses for why someone is fat. I know good and well that I can get a Triple Whopper a side of fries and a shake and end up damn near 3,000cals in one sitting. I know this because they post a chart right next to the register of how many calories each item contains.

If I was 150lbs and trying to gain, you can bet I would be hitting that up just like that more often BECAUSE I would understand the number of calories I could get in one sitting. You are basically stating it is the restaurant’s fault that people are getting fat as hell. This is completely untrue.

What the hell does a restaurant need to do to get fat people to understand what calories are? Information is too available today to pretend as if people are just helpless and clueless.

If someone eats their way to 300lbs of lard, no one did that to them. They did that by themselves. No one ACCIDENTALLY hits 300lbs. No one goes to sleep weighing 150lbs one night and wakes up 300lbs of Crisco.

Beyond that, EXERCISE will help solve most of these problems. Someone active can get away with eating some “junk food”. That is all we did through high school and there was like only one fat kid in my whole class. Now, entire schools are fat and it isn’t because of Mc Donald’s.

swivel wrote:
no disagreement here.

what do you mean by “making excuses” ?

You wrote this:

This is making excuses for why someone is fat. I know good and well that I can get a Triple Whopper a side of fries and a shake and end up damn near 3,000cals in one sitting. I know this because they post a chart right next to the register of how many calories each item contains.

If I was 150lbs and trying to gain, you can bet I would be hitting that up just like that more often BECAUSE I would understand the number of calories I could get in one sitting. You are basically stating it is the restaurant’s fault that people are getting fat as hell. This is completely untrue.

What the hell does a restaurant need to do to get fat people to understand what calories are? Information is too available today to pretend as if people are just helpless and clueless.

If someone eats their way to 300lbs of lard, no one did that to them. They did that by themselves. No one ACCIDENTALLY hits 300lbs. No one goes to sleep weighing 150lbs one night and wakes up 300lbs of Crisco.

Beyond that, EXERCISE will help solve most of these problems. Someone active can get away with eating some “junk food”. That is all we did through high school and there was like only one fat kid in my whole class. Now, entire schools are fat and it isn’t because of Mc Donald’s.[/quote]

hm…hat’s off, that says it all. the weird part is i didn’t think i was saying exactly what i was actually saying. but by extension i was… fucker.

swivel wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
swivel wrote:

What if he would have taken the one big meal and spread it out over the whole day as well as munched on a few vegetables?

same thing. probably worse. and he was eating vegetables. the irony is he was overeating and at the same time waaaay undernourished… and even hungrier because of it. this means he needed to consume more and more food because the food he was eating wasn’t giving him the nourishment he needed…even though he was “overeating” calories.

Why are you making excuses for these people? If he would have eaten there three times a day and then worked out for an hour and done 30-45min of cardio everyday, I wonder what would have happened. To come to the conclusion that a particular food is that destructive as if your other daily habits don’t factor into it in a HUGE way makes no sense. There was another guy on the internet who did a trial where he did this and he looked better after a month of it. He is a personal trainer. I think someone here posted the link once. That changes everything.[/quote]

Prof X or anybody-

Does anybody have the link for the guy who did a trial of McDonalds for one month and actually looked better?

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
Another fine use of scientific funds proving the obvious…

Study says eating fast food makes you fat.

Frequent consumers also face greater diabetes risk.

The Associated Press
Updated: 7:01 p.m. ET Dec. 30, 2004

LONDON - A new study gives scientific clout to a conclusion many already see as obvious: Eating lots of fast food makes you fat and increases the chance of developing diabetes.

A study published in the Lancet medical journal this week found those who frequently ate fast food gained 10 pounds more than those who did so less often, and were more than twice as likely to develop an insulin disorder linked to diabetes.
?Fast food is commonly recognized to have very poor nutritional quality,? said Dr. David Ludwig, director of the obesity program at Children?s Hospital Boston and the senior author of the study. ?But there have been very few studies, essentially no long-term studies that have documented the effects of this dietary pattern on the key chronic diseases of Western civilization ? obesity, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease.?
?In the absence of such data, the fast-food industry continues to claim that fast food can be part of a healthful diet,? he said.
Ludwig?s U.S.-based team followed 3,000 young people enrolled in a study of cardiac health over 15 years, giving them medical checkups and asking questions about diet, physical activity and other lifestyle factors.
Even after the scientists used statistical techniques to cancel out the impact of the other factors, those who said they visited fast-food outlets twice a week or more gained 10 pounds more over the course of the study than those who ate fast food less than once a week.
They also had more than double the chance of developing insulin resistance, considered a predictor of Type 2 diabetes, the form of the disease linked to obesity.
?These findings suggest that fast food as presently consumed can really not be part of a healthful lifestyle,? Ludwig said.
Arne Astrup, an obesity expert at the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University in Copenhagen, Denmark, said the study was the first long-term look at the relationship between fast-food consumption and diabetes.
?It?s quite a powerful message,? he said. ?I?m happy to see that we have some more solid evidence to substantiate that this is really unhealthy.?
No time to cook
Astrup said the huge portions at most fast-food restaurants and the high caloric density of their food were probably responsible for the obesity link. Because even small amounts of fast food contain lots of calories, people consume a great deal without feeling full and soon get hungry again and eat more, he said.
While some fast-food chains have begun offering healthier alternatives, including fruit, Astrup said those were only ?weak trends in the right direction.?
In an essay accompanying the Lancet article, he suggested the chains make a more serious effort to boost the quality of their offerings, by using leaner meats, whole-grain bread, lower-fat fries, low-sugar soft drinks and more vegetables.
McDonald?s director of nutrition, Dr. Cathy Kapica, said the issue was not where people ate, but the type of food they chose and the size of portions.
Kapica said McDonald?s restaurants had introduced a variety of portion sizes, were serving more salads and fruit, and were providing nutritional information on trayliners, in-store brochures and a Web site.
?The key is to work together to educate and empower people to make smart choices when dining and to encourage physical activity,? Kapica said.
Dr. Rudolph Leibel, an obesity expert at Columbia University in New York, said that while the study was sound and its conclusions likely true, it was important not to demonize fast food as the sole cause of the obesity epidemic in wealthy nations.
Fast-food restaurants, he said, are responding to a real societal need ? the inability of many families in which both parents work to find time to cook for themselves.
The restaurants provide a real service by selling cheap, quick food, Leibel said, arguing that the main problem is in the quality and health effects of what they serve.
?I don?t think the problem is with fast food per se,? he said. ?The problem is that it?s the wrong kind of food.?
The need for improvements there, Leibel said, is the key lesson of the paper, ?and the only way to do that really … is to have an informed consumer.?

? 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
[/quote]

Actually, there was a trainor who wanted to prove how powerful exercise can be so he took the “Super Size ME” challenge of eating purely McDonalds for one month, eating everything on the menu at least once. He kept a food log and posted his receipts as proof. The only thing he did differently was that he made sure to burn more calories than he ate. Not only did he lose weight but, if I remember correctly, improved his blood lipid profile.

[quote]Robert Monti wrote:
RoadWarrior wrote:
Another fine use of scientific funds proving the obvious…

Study says eating fast food makes you fat.

Frequent consumers also face greater diabetes risk.

The Associated Press
Updated: 7:01 p.m. ET Dec. 30, 2004

LONDON - A new study gives scientific clout to a conclusion many already see as obvious: Eating lots of fast food makes you fat and increases the chance of developing diabetes.

A study published in the Lancet medical journal this week found those who frequently ate fast food gained 10 pounds more than those who did so less often, and were more than twice as likely to develop an insulin disorder linked to diabetes.
?Fast food is commonly recognized to have very poor nutritional quality,? said Dr. David Ludwig, director of the obesity program at Children?s Hospital Boston and the senior author of the study. ?But there have been very few studies, essentially no long-term studies that have documented the effects of this dietary pattern on the key chronic diseases of Western civilization ? obesity, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease.?
?In the absence of such data, the fast-food industry continues to claim that fast food can be part of a healthful diet,? he said.
Ludwig?s U.S.-based team followed 3,000 young people enrolled in a study of cardiac health over 15 years, giving them medical checkups and asking questions about diet, physical activity and other lifestyle factors.
Even after the scientists used statistical techniques to cancel out the impact of the other factors, those who said they visited fast-food outlets twice a week or more gained 10 pounds more over the course of the study than those who ate fast food less than once a week.
They also had more than double the chance of developing insulin resistance, considered a predictor of Type 2 diabetes, the form of the disease linked to obesity.
?These findings suggest that fast food as presently consumed can really not be part of a healthful lifestyle,? Ludwig said.
Arne Astrup, an obesity expert at the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University in Copenhagen, Denmark, said the study was the first long-term look at the relationship between fast-food consumption and diabetes.
?It?s quite a powerful message,? he said. ?I?m happy to see that we have some more solid evidence to substantiate that this is really unhealthy.?
No time to cook
Astrup said the huge portions at most fast-food restaurants and the high caloric density of their food were probably responsible for the obesity link. Because even small amounts of fast food contain lots of calories, people consume a great deal without feeling full and soon get hungry again and eat more, he said.
While some fast-food chains have begun offering healthier alternatives, including fruit, Astrup said those were only ?weak trends in the right direction.?
In an essay accompanying the Lancet article, he suggested the chains make a more serious effort to boost the quality of their offerings, by using leaner meats, whole-grain bread, lower-fat fries, low-sugar soft drinks and more vegetables.
McDonald?s director of nutrition, Dr. Cathy Kapica, said the issue was not where people ate, but the type of food they chose and the size of portions.
Kapica said McDonald?s restaurants had introduced a variety of portion sizes, were serving more salads and fruit, and were providing nutritional information on trayliners, in-store brochures and a Web site.
?The key is to work together to educate and empower people to make smart choices when dining and to encourage physical activity,? Kapica said.
Dr. Rudolph Leibel, an obesity expert at Columbia University in New York, said that while the study was sound and its conclusions likely true, it was important not to demonize fast food as the sole cause of the obesity epidemic in wealthy nations.
Fast-food restaurants, he said, are responding to a real societal need ? the inability of many families in which both parents work to find time to cook for themselves.
The restaurants provide a real service by selling cheap, quick food, Leibel said, arguing that the main problem is in the quality and health effects of what they serve.
?I don?t think the problem is with fast food per se,? he said. ?The problem is that it?s the wrong kind of food.?
The need for improvements there, Leibel said, is the key lesson of the paper, ?and the only way to do that really … is to have an informed consumer.?

? 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Actually, there was a trainor who wanted to prove how powerful exercise can be so he took the “Super Size ME” challenge of eating purely McDonalds for one month, eating everything on the menu at least once. He kept a food log and posted his receipts as proof. The only thing he did differently was that he made sure to burn more calories than he ate. Not only did he lose weight but, if I remember correctly, improved his blood lipid profile.
[/quote]

Interesting! Do you have the link?

[quote]BPC wrote:

[/quote]

His name was Chazz Weaver and he basically got into contest condition eating nothing but Mc Donald’s. He called his mini-documentary of his training Down Size Me. Notice how you hear NO news about this. You can do a search and I think he wrote a book. Bottom line, fast food doesn’t make you fat. Being ignorant of caloric intake or simply eating too many calories does.

Chazz Weaver.

BPC wrote:

His name was Chazz Weaver and he basically got into contest condition eating nothing but Mc Donald’s. He called his mini-documentary of his training Down Size Me. Notice how you hear NO news about this. You can do a search and I think he wrote a book. Bottom line, fast food doesn’t make you fat. Being ignorant of caloric intake or simply eating too many calories does.[/quote]

WTF this is still being debated by people.

EATING MORE CALORIES THAN WHAT YOUR BODY REQUIRES WILL MAKE YOU FAT! It doesnt matter if its a box of Entemenn’s Donuts or a frigging chicken breast! End of discussion.

Overeating makes you fat. But fast-food does make it easier to overeat. It lacks basic nutrtion, isn’t filling, isn’t nutrient dense. I could eat 1000s of calories of fast food and still be hungry. This is most applicable for high-fat, high-sugar, processed food. Most people could eat 3000 calories of cake without blinking. Try eating 3000 calories of apples. Not gonna happen. Does that mean fast-food should be banned? Of course not. It means taht people should realize that it provides little nutrition, isn’t filling, has a tons of calories for the volume of food provided, doesn’t lead to saiety, and is going to leave you wanting more.

http://www.truthinfitness.org/pressArticles/article_OCRegister_2004_05_01.html

Thanks Prof.

No I wasn’t debating it at all. This “counter” study only proves what I’ve thought all along really.

It’s a copout to blame fast food restaurants for obesity.

I just wanted the details for a paper I’m writing.

Recent research indicates that research causes cancer in lab rats.

[quote]vroom wrote:
If they were allowed to, fast food restaurants would put nicotine in their damned burgers.[/quote]

No they wouldn’t, nicotine is an anoretic. Crack however…

BPC wrote:

His name was Chazz Weaver and he basically got into contest condition eating nothing but Mc Donald’s. He called his mini-documentary of his training Down Size Me. Notice how you hear NO news about this. You can do a search and I think he wrote a book. Bottom line, fast food doesn’t make you fat. Being ignorant of caloric intake or simply eating too many calories does.[/quote]

I don’t remember if he was in the news but some lady did the same thing. She ate within her limit and actually exercised a bit and lost weight. While spurlock’s documentary was over the top (and parts of it were supposed to be) he was trying to illustrate the point that with everything being more convienent today and food portions increasing that complacency is leading to increased obesity. At least that’s how I take it and what happened to me a few years ago.

[quote]big69penisman wrote:
Professor X wrote:
BPC wrote:

His name was Chazz Weaver and he basically got into contest condition eating nothing but Mc Donald’s. He called his mini-documentary of his training Down Size Me. Notice how you hear NO news about this. You can do a search and I think he wrote a book. Bottom line, fast food doesn’t make you fat. Being ignorant of caloric intake or simply eating too many calories does.

I don’t remember if he was in the news but some lady did the same thing. She ate within her limit and actually exercised a bit and lost weight. While spurlock’s documentary was over the top (and parts of it were supposed to be) he was trying to illustrate the point that with everything being more convienent today and food portions increasing that complacency is leading to increased obesity. At least that’s how I take it and what happened to me a few years ago. [/quote]

Bullshit. The man ate to the point of making himself sick. That isn’t even what the average person does. the average individual who is sedentary simply doesn’t DO anything with the calories that they do eat. Aside from compulsive eaters, very few are literally force feeding themselves until they can’t stand another hamburger.

Did he eat salads and chicken from their ,or did he actually eat burgers?[quote]Professor X wrote:
big69penisman wrote:
Professor X wrote:
BPC wrote:

I don’t remember if he was in the news but some lady did the same thing. She ate within her limit and actually exercised a bit and lost weight. While spurlock’s documentary was over the top (and parts of it were supposed to be) he was trying to illustrate the point that with everything being more convienent today and food portions increasing that complacency is leading to increased obesity. At least that’s how I take it and what happened to me a few years ago.

Bullshit. The man ate to the point of making himself sick. That isn’t even what the average person does. the average individual who is sedentary simply doesn’t DO anything with the calories that they do eat. Aside from compulsive eaters, very few are literally force feeding themselves until they can’t stand another hamburger.[/quote]