Fast Food Choices

Generally this is when I am driving someplace on a weekend to visit friends from college/high-school or the like. They have some Ok stuff at their places usually, so I need to get by for max, two hours. So, I get some beef jerky (looking for low carbs, generally, so I check the label, and if it doesn’t have the macro-breakdown, I skip it… Unless it’s a Tabasco Slim Jim, which I kind of like, in a sick, sort of way…), then I grab some milk. I’d like to say skim, but most of the places generally only have 2%. It’s an Ok P+C snack. I think… :slight_smile:

–Zippy

I’m a pilot, so not only am I forced to eat fast food, I’m limited to what’s available at airports! I get a salad or grilled chicken sandwich at Au Bon Pain, same as other posts at Burger King or Wendy’s, turkey sub and ditch the bun if there is a sub place, taco salad minus sour cream at Taco Bell. San Diego has La Salsa which makes great fish tacos. Oakland and ORD have good burrito places; I slice it open, eat the contents, and toss the tortilla. I heard you can get a burger at In-and-Out Burger (west coast) wrapped in a lettuce leaf instead of a bun. I was just on a week long pleasure trip - I took a full jug of Grow and a shaker bottle in a plastic hotel laundry bag and carried it on.

I’m in Japan, so my choices are a little different than most. But I’ll go for some sushi or, in a pinch, a Subway 12-inch turkey breast (no double meat options here, alas…). Or, if I’m a little more prepared, a 6-inch plus a helping of AP is nice. As for how I choose, since the macronutrient ratios are going to be fucked up anyway, I just try to get something with enough protein.

I am away heaps with my job and generally eat better when I am away as I don’t need to worry about cost, I usually cook my own food so it is still cheaper for the co. than if I eat out and I get it served the way I want it.

Wow, I love this forum. The responses have been great so far. Some I’ve thought of and others I didn’t ever consider.

I'd love to hear from others if you have not posted yet.

For those who keep a truly meticulous food log, Wendy’s can be recommended for one more reason: their nutrition guide breaks down the food into “sandwich components.” For example, it’ll tell you how much the bun and the meat are individually. I’ve yet to find another fast food outlet whose guide offers this. As most of us dismember our food in these environments, it’s helpful. Nice to know how many empty carbs we’ve saved by tossing the bun.

Another one is a two whole birds, ala carte, from Boston Market.

Just thought that I would add one of my favorites. It is the Burrito Mexicano at Baja Fresh. It contains charbroiled chicken or steak, black or pinto beans, rice, chopped onion, cilantro, with hot or mild salsa. The steak is lean and they seemed to use chicken breast, but I always get steak. Overall, it contains all the good stuff minus the sour cream, guacamole, cheese etc. Great choice if you need a meal with high protein and calories. Personally I think the nutrition info is wrong (too high in all categories), but here goes: 57g pro, 120g carbs, 13g fiber, 25g fat, 933 calories. Talk to you all later.

I just have some cottage cheese with equal on the go.
My problem would be at work i am a baker…too much temptation :slight_smile:

Any old greesy spoon. I order Steak, or eggs (hardboiled) and tell them to fill the rest of the plate with fruit or veggies depending on the time of day. If it is early in the day fruit later in the day veggies but I usually keep the carbs low when consuming fat in those proportions.

Most fast food places have a grilled chicken sandwich so I usually grab two of those with no mayo. If I have my cooler with me i’ll usually have cottage cheese mixed with fruit, yogurt, etc.

To Handsome Bastard: I’m also a baker so I know what you are going through. It helps that most of the people I work with are fat slobs which helps to motivate me to stay away from all that food.

Yes they are!
I am 7% bf :slight_smile:

Right now i’m at about 11%. The thing that bothers me the most about those people is the way they look at me when they see what I bring to eat. Usually cottage cheese, tuna, grilled chicken breast, or some type of pre-made shake. If only they could see themselves shoving danishes, muffins, cheese-covered bagels, and cookies in their mouths all day they would understand why I prefer my way. I actually had one of them try to lecture me the other day for drinking a diet pepsi with my lunch, she said the aspartame was going to give me a brain tumor. The whole time she was talking she was snacking on a bag of reeses peanut butter cups and washing them down with a mountain dew! I just had to get up and leave the room.

You know, right when that woman mentioned the brain tumor…you should have put your hand to your head, squinted your eyes…she’d ask “whats wrong?”

You: "...that damn brain tumor....hey, about a sip of your Mountain Dew...that might help..."

End of discussion...

any sub place, get a six inch sub(whole wheat) with double the meat(grilled variety)
I know the subway version of this is like 46 grams of protien and 30 grmas of relatively low g.i. carbs. also I think 6 grams of fat so it is a pretty healthy selection

Just had myself a Chicken Whopper w/ no mayo and half the bun. Not too bad!

I’ll have to remember that for next time as i’m sure it will happen again. I just got too frustrated and had to leave the room before I said something I would regret. It is an every day thing there and I just try to avoid talking to most of those people anymore.

The good thing about BK is “you can have it your way”, so the other day I got me a double chicken whopper, no mayo.

I travel for Theta Chi Fraternity. Basically, I’m on the road, living out of my car for about 3-4 months on end, so I’ve had to find ways of keeping up my eating

First, my car is loaded with MRP’s and bars. They are quick, easy, don’t take up much space, and I can eat them without having to stop. Second, I also bring instant oatmeal and a dry cereal like All Bran that won’t throw my blood sugar levels through the roof.

When I get to a chapter, I go to the grocery store and pick up milk and about 2lbs of lean hamburger or chicken. That’s about perfect for me to eat over 3-4 days. The Foreman makes a great companion.

If I do have to go out to eat, I go with Subway’s Roasted Chicken Breast sub on honey oat. I’ll buy 12 inches and have them wrap each 6 seperately so I can make 2 out of my 6 meals with it. For those watching carbs, throw most of the bread out and obviously skip the chips. Arby’s used to have chicken breast salads, but I don’t know if they do anymore.

Like I said, it took me awhile to learn the tricks and it still isn’t always easy. It depends on your facilities, how long you’re going to be on the road, and how much traveling space you have.