Fast / Feast (Pulse Feast) - My Experience

I’m a reluctant poster, especially with some negativity towards this concept, but the article touches close to home. Just like to give my experience and hopefully get some constructive feedback.

When I was younger I carried a lot of extra weight (176cm (~5’8) / 85-90kg (~190lb). Then when I got addicted to training I leaned up a bit, but was bulky. I adopted the six-meals a day / low carb approach and yes I dropped to single digit bf%, but looking back, it was a period that I disliked intensely. From an Italian background, most meals were a feast (with lots of carbs) and following this approach I couldn’t, I stressed over food all the time, and not to mention the time to prepare foods, moods, etc. But then life reared its head and I was fighting to survive from an illness.

After pulling through, I started my recovery weighing a measly 44kg (~97lb-skin and bones). Just eat everyone would say, but the problem was I couldn’t, food caused great intestinal discomfort, mal-absorption, etc. The thought of eating made me ill. This is when I first read the Warrior Diet, and following it I fasted during the day, feasted at night and slept through the discomfort. I attribute the fast to allowing my body to recover and I loved the approach.

Over time, I started training again but couldn’t put on weight. I couldn’t go back to my old eating habits, so following the fast/feast strategy I added a whey protein workout shake during training, but still hovered around the 50kg mark (~110lb) for over 18 months. Following some readings, I switched to hydrolysed casein peri-workout and started making progress. When I added a pre-workout shake, a single protein pulse before training, along with coconut milk to my workout, I hit the jackpot. In the past 18 months I’ve added 25lbs, while maintaining body fat of ~8%.

Currently my strategy is: 5-12pm: Fast. 12pm: Protein pulse (leucine followed by hydrolysed casein), 1pm: WPI shake 1:45pm: Workout - Surge Workout Fuel, hydrolysed casein workout shake with coconut milk. (Looking for something extra, during workout I’m experimenting eating coconut with chocolate or fruit). 6-9pm: Feast. I love this approach, I’m mentally-on during the fast, feel great, it fits my personality, the morning fast flies by and then by the time I’ve recovered from my workout its time to feast for a few hours.

The main difference from the article is the missing additional morning pulse (along with the time-separation between pulses), and the addition of coconut milk (which I find very therapeutic) and eating food during workout.
Some queries: Am I missing a crucial element with only a single pulse, should my current pulse be moved to say 9-10am and does the consuming of coconut/chocolate/fruit have a negative effect on the reasoning for using hydrolysed casein?

And no I don’t use specific Anaconda/MAG-10 products (I’ve had expensive experiences trying to get casein/whey proteins through Australian Customs), but my self-blended workout shake does contain hydrolysed casein, citrulline malate, creatine and leucine. I also take Beta7.

Experiences/recommendations welcome; (I’ve got along way to go but will be stoked if I can reach a lean 70kg (~150lb) by year end). It may not be for everyone, but if you’re contemplating giving it a go, I agree with Christian, its simple and once you reprogram your body’s eating clock, easy and stress free to follow.

Thank you for posting this. Currently I’m taking two pulses of beef amino tabs, then a hydrolyzed whey/creatine shake for peri, then a 4 hour feast of beef, chicken, fish or protein powder, veggies and fruits. First day has gone by well, and it was a deadlift day. I was almost skeptical about my gym performance, but it was actually good. May need to tweak, and may need to get some hydro casein. For now I will monitor and get some blood tests. Glad you pulled through from your injury man.

that was awesome bro where abouts are you in Australia? Buying these products and shipping them is very expensive so i just use a hydrolysed whey and im going to see how this works. I was thinking of just using a shake and milk before my workouts and just wanted to know if it has a negative affect if your workout is in the morning or some time before your feast. Does anyone know if doing so would be bad?

Good post, nice to see you recovering I’m from Oz as well yeah its not cheap getting those supplements in, I have been following Thibs (what a legend) HP program for about 8 weeks love the volume, I have tried to do a bit of a bulk using this program I am getting stronger but I can feel my gut growing as well. So I’m going to try fast/feast protocol, I am also trying to work out the exact supplements to use during the fast shakes, I like the idea of coconut milk for added sat fat. My current shakes during the day are, 2 dates 1 spoon of flax seed 2 egg whites 1 small cup of blueberries, 1 scoop of whey protein powder. Pre workout is normally whey shake mixed with gatorade.

Just wondering is anyone else trying alternatives to the pulse feasts, like a few other people from Oz its hard those supps here without paying an arm or leg for em.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I’ve read quite a few reports that it takes some time to adjust to a regular fast as your body (esp. brain) adjusts to using ketones for fuel. So, some may experience this during the initial change. I have no recollection of this adjustment period so you’ll have to take it as anecdotal evidence. Maybe interchange feast/fast days with usual frequent eating pattern to adjust or use the feast/fast strategy with what fits with your daily schedule. I think one of the benefits is that if you want to break your fast at around lunch time (say for social occasions, etc), you’ve still fasted ~15hrs. Personally I break my fast early most Sunday’s.

I started using coconut milk due to its health benefits and lauric acid content, but thought its high MCT content would be an efficient extra workout fuel source, that wouldn’t blunt insulin response. I find it beneficial (it also blunts some of the bitterness from the hydrolysed proteins). For pulsing I use only hydrolysed casein, but my pre/peri workout shakes as mentioned contain leucine, creatine, glutamine, EAAs and citrulline malate. If of interest, I also take CoQ10, Vitamin D, Fish Oils, Curcumin, Beta7 and ZMA.

I’m down in Adelaide, and hopefully with the high $A, we can get some cheaper supplements. Customs can be extremely hard, 10kg max and need signed MOAs from manufacturer on non-foot mouth disease country of origin, heating temps, etc. Don’t even bother with egg based proteins.

I’ll keep seeking to optimise my strategy, hopefully we may get some expert advice to assist.

P.s. I’ve been eating for the past 90min, probably a 30min break before its time to start again - got to love it!

how much is the coconut milk? much the same as regular milk?

The $A dont mean anything its shipping thats crap, i was going to get a prowler but it costs $900 just in shipment.

For the proposed used, i think coconut water is better than coconut milk.

regards.

[quote]Sik wrote:

regards.[/quote]

depends on why he is using it, coconut water has some sugar and a lot of potassium, coconut milk is pretty muc just fat

[quote]Mr_Magoo wrote:

[quote]Sik wrote:

regards.[/quote]

depends on why he is using it, coconut water has some sugar and a lot of potassium, coconut milk is pretty muc just fat[/quote]

Sorry if i miss the sugar content of coconut water?

i think the trace carbs and potassium, are important.

DOn’t forget Thibs talk a lot about using TnNtion supplements, including WORKOUT FUEL (CARBS) and some electrolytes.

I don’t see advantages of using milk intra training.

And 9g of carbs in 240g of coconut water is something like <4% carbs.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3115/2

Cheers