Fast Carbs Pre-Workout?

I’m not an expert obviously but I think its because elevated insulin levels divert glucose into your muscles?

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:
I’m not an expert obviously but I think its because elevated insulin levels divert glucose into your muscles?[/quote]

So why not do that before you gym so that your body can take advantage of that during as well as after? I’m not saying anybody is wrong just pointing out that there is more than one way to do it. There aren’t really set rules on having fast carbs before/after your workout. What’s more important, especially in the beginner stage, is getting enough overall calories to grow.

muscles become insulin resistant after exercise and fast absorbing carbs having a stronger insulin response as well as a faster one

[quote]The Rattler wrote:
What’s more important, especially in the beginner stage, is getting enough overall calories to grow. [/quote]

This.

Just set out a goal of how much food you wanna eat a day and hit that shit no matter what, when I was your weight mine was.

8 eggs
600g chicken breast
1 & 1/2 can tuna
3 cups pasta
whatever my mum made me for dinner
couple pints of milk and a few protein shakes

not a lot by any means but it worked and was then tweaked to get further gains

There’s no point even replying. This guy is never going to get anywhere.

I spike insulin before workouts. Why?
Bushidobadboy reccomended it to someone to have two candy bars and 40g of protein approx 40 min before working out. For me the sweet spot was about an hour and fifteen minutes felt amazing working out.
He also ran an experiment where he used insulin preworkout and had amazing workouts. This also convinced me.
Bonez also mentioned the in his opinion spiking insulin(withfood) before working out was better than spiking it just after. I think CT also wrote an article saying that its great to spike it after but preferably you should do both but if you could only spike it once it should be before.

These are just things off the top of my head.
My bad Bonez and BBB if I interpretted y’all wrong.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
Bushidobadboy reccomended it to someone to have two candy bars and 40g of protein approx 40 min before working out. For me the sweet spot was about an hour and fifteen minutes felt amazing working out.
He also ran an experiment where he used insulin preworkout and had amazing workouts. This also convinced me.
Bonez also mentioned the in his opinion spiking insulin(withfood) before working out was better than spiking it just after. I think CT also wrote an article saying that its great to spike it after but preferably you should do both but if you could only spike it once it should be before.

My bad Bonez and BBB if I interpretted y’all wrong.[/quote]

This is what I was hoping to have a discussion about. I do the same thing.

[/quote]

good points, what were the arguments as to why the insulin spike was better before hand than after?

longer sustain of insulin sensitivity?

also do you mean your workout last an hour 15 mins and felt amazing?

I’m also curious about why its better to spike insulin levels before, so then maybe its best to mix slow and fast carbs before workout and then more fast after?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

good points, what were the arguments as to why the insulin spike was better before hand than after?

longer sustain of insulin sensitivity?

also do you mean your workout last an hour 15 mins and felt amazing?
[/quote]

Nah I meant I like to wait about 60 to 75 minutes after consuming my preworkout meal to workout just because of fullness factor.

I’ve been meaning to try to look into why, but honestly right now I don’t know. I just saw two dudes who’s opinions I respect a lot reccomend something so I went to it. Ill have to find the threads some time.

definitely an interesting topic!

also can’t argue with results

I’ve never heard of spiking insulin before since you can get a let down while working out. Afterwards you do want a spike so you can drive the whey protein into the cells and also to replenish glycogen and to stop muscle* for lack of a better word, wasting, which is essentially stopping cortisol. This is my understanding.

But hey if your growing stronger and recovering well and you don’t feel a let down during the workout then i can’t say its wrong. I’d just say watch out when you do it cause you might get a let down. Who knows what is going on. I’d like to see if this has any scientific merit.

[quote]silee wrote:
I’ve never heard of spiking insulin before since you can get a let down while working out. Afterwards you do want a spike so you can drive the whey protein into the cells and also to replenish glycogen and to stop muscle* for lack of a better word, wasting, which is essentially stopping cortisol. This is my understanding.

But hey if your growing stronger and recovering well and you don’t feel a let down during the workout then i can’t say its wrong. I’d just say watch out when you do it cause you might get a let down. Who knows what is going on. I’d like to see if this has any scientific merit.[/quote]

I never crash during workouts maybe this is because I’m moving around, getting pumped but since I started its improved the quality of my workouts I feel.

But anyways hopefully someone who knows more of the science behind it chimes in ill try to find the threads later on when I’m not using my phone as internet

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
slow release before, fast after.
[/quote]

Why?

OP, I don’t think you should really be worrying about what type of carb source you should be having before/during/after your workouts but more the amount of food you’re eating as a whole. If you have at least 4-6 BIG meals in your day with complex carbs, protein and fats and you’re putting on weight then that’s a good thing.

EDIT: Eat beef. Lots of beef. [/quote]

the first meal he is having in the day is his pre workout shake so he should be getting a decent amount of good carb sources like oats
and fast after for an insulin spike[/quote]

O rly?

U mean the dextrose/maltodextrin I add to my pre workout shake is wrong? And the fact that I dont have fast carbs post workout is wrong?

Damn. That sucks.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
muscles become insulin resistant after exercise and fast absorbing carbs having a stronger insulin response as well as a faster one[/quote]

Stop typing now. Please.

Youre not wrong, not about what I do at least, gnerally speaking. I use consider anything with calories to be food, so yes, youre right.

ok i was looking at the shake from a first meal of a day thing rather than a pre workout shake

can you explain the benefits of the fast carbs before cause it seems the books i read are outdated and would appreciate any insight!

[quote]silee wrote:

But hey if your growing stronger and recovering well and you don’t feel a let down during the workout then i can’t say its wrong. I’d just say watch out when you do it cause you might get a let down. Who knows what is going on. I’d like to see if this has any scientific merit.[/quote]

Ok but if you wanted to burn fat then i think you have a problem ok. cause with insulin in your blood stream you body is in a storage mode . also i would think that the stress from the workout, tearing down your muscles and the release of cortisol will be blunted.
You should run this by the guy down at Uconn CT Volk I believe his name is…

I never crash during workouts maybe this is because I’m moving around, getting pumped but since I started its improved the quality of my workouts I feel.

But anyways hopefully someone who knows more of the science behind it chimes in ill try to find the threads later on when I’m not using my phone as internet[/quote]

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Youre not wrong, not about what I do at least, gnerally speaking. I use consider anything with calories to be food, so yes, youre right. [/quote]

Ha yeah that’s what I meant(things with calories) I was just making sure people knew I wasn’t referring to slin.

[quote]silee wrote:

[quote]silee wrote:

Ok but if you wanted to burn fat then i think you have a problem ok. cause with insulin in your blood stream you body is in a storage mode . also i would think that the stress from the workout, tearing down your muscles and the release of cortisol will be blunted.
You should run this by the guy down at Uconn CT Volk I believe his name is…

But anyways hopefully someone who knows more of the science behind it chimes in ill try to find the threads later on when I’m not using my phone as internet[/quote]
[/quote]
Lol can you try again it looks like I wrote your response