Fascinating Article About Fat Loss

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Professor X has long said that after every bulking cycle a person needs to maintain that weight for at least 3 months. This has always made sense to me.

Can you “re-set” your set point? Does it work both ways, i.e., can you re-set your set point lower (if you’re fat) or re-set it higher (if you are skinny)?

I truly have no idea.
[/quote]

From my own experience, I would say that you can reset your set point. After about my senior year in high school, I was about 160 lbs. Not fat, but also not lean.

I stayed at this weight for years until I made a VERY long/hard/deliberate effort to gain weight, and ended up at 17 until my last year of college. When I started grad school, I decided to make this change again, and bumped to 195.

I found that each time, I had to struggle to keep my weight up for some amount of time (Prof. X may be right about 3 mo., but I didn’t count), but after that time, my metabolism adjusted, and I could eat fewer calories and maintain my weight.

Granted, pretty small user study, but that’s my evidence.

One thing that is interesting about the study is that is showed that despite rearing environment, the obesity levels were roughly the same as the parents. Interesting, and yet horrible. Another excuse for fat people to remain that way, “I can’t help it, I was born with it”.

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

One thing that is interesting about the study is that is showed that despite rearing environment, the obesity levels were roughly the same as the parents. Interesting, and yet horrible. Another excuse for fat people to remain that way, “I can’t help it, I was born with it”.[/quote]

Interesting observation but in my opinion the kids of obese parents are fat not because of the genes that were passed on from their parents but rather because of the example that these obese parents give their kids.

If the parents lead unhealthy lifestyles and do not make a conscious effort to explain to their kids that their lifestyle is indeed unhealthy then it is very likely that the kids will go down the same road to obesity. There are of course exceptions.

Zap Branigan wrote:
Trying to extrapolate what happens after a 600 calorie a day diet to what happens after a reasonable diet and exercise program is folly.

Even us skinny bastards get cravings and end up eating a half gallon of ice cream and a box of Girl Scout cookies. This type of stuff is not unique to the obese or former fat boys.

To sum up, people are different and life isn’t always easy.

As usual, you have a clever but superficial reply. Do you think about anything with depth or nuance?

The issue isn’t with obese people getting getting skinny-boy “cravings and ending up eating a half gallon of ice cream and a box of Girl Scout cookies.”

The issue is that obese people tend to get such cravings every time they eat. If skinny boys like you truly wrestled with such cravings, your rib cages wouldn’t be exposed.

Also, people like you are skinny precisely because it’s just as hard for you to eat as it is for obese people to not eat.

So waifs like you might have something to learn from the author, as well. After all, I found it incredibly interesting that some people had to eat upwards of 10,000 calories a day to gain weight. [/quote]

I was making fun of your “cravings” you jackass.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Only true to a certain extent. I have three brothers. Growing up I was always the smallest. I am 6’ tall. My brothers range from 6’2" to 6’4".

They all have bigger bone structure, hands, wrists etc.

I outweigh each of them by at least 30 pounds because I lift.

People genetically predisposed to put on fat may not be able to stay super lean for long but they do not have to be obese and they can stay reasonably lean with some effort. [/quote]

You missed the point. The point was that people that are predisposed to be fat have to deny the constant compulsion to overeat. If they are successful they can be just as ripped as the next guy. Obsessing about food 24/7 doesn’t sound fun.

Also, people like you are skinny precisely because it’s just as hard for you to eat as it is for obese people to not eat.
[/quote]

For about the first 35 years of my life I ate as much as I possibly could to gain weight. I was (and still am) always hungry.

I would eat multiple portions of dinner at my house, go to my friends house and eat again. His mother would wonder where I put it all because I ate more than everyone in his family, including his jacked bodybuilder brother and this was after I already had dinner.

In college I would eat almost twice what most other guys ate.

Now that I am a bit older I eat a more reasonable amount of food and actually am capable of putting on fat. The metabolism has changed.

I am no longer able to eat as much junk food as I want and I am totally surrounded by it.

Occasionally I will binge eat crap but I use my willpower to avoid it most of the time.

[quote]

So waifs like you might have something to learn from the author, as well. After all, I found it incredibly interesting that some people had to eat upwards of 10,000 calories a day to gain weight. [/quote]

I don’t know if I needed 10,000 calories a day when I was younger but I certainly needed much more than the average person.

I still feel driven to eat like I did but I restrain myself from pigging out.

I find it quite ironic that you feel the need to blast every sub 200 pounder but you start a thread bemoaning your fate as a fat boy.

just another person trying to sell a book on diet.

To sum up, people are different and life isn’t always easy.[/quote]

POW! I hope no one buys that book. The studies provided good information in a primitive time (1960s-1980s) in regards to the general human knowledge of weight management, but that’s it. Based on the article, this is just a rehashing of known information.

And because of what this phD says, I should feel sorry for myself because I am diabetic and have to take insulin every time I eat.

This makes it easy for me to gain weight, and since my grandfather (who was type 2 and probably gave me type 1) was overweight I am probably like the “fat person who sees food like the thirsty man seeing water in the desert.”

Thus I have it even worse because I see food and get hungry, but can’t eat all the time because when I eat it’s a pain to take insulin all the time, and then it makes me gain even more weight because you’re taking so much exogenous insulin.

Whaaaaaaa… the tears flow like food into the “genetically-destined to be obese person’s mouth”… poor me, poor everybody.

But yet despite all this, I am in good shape and look great because I am not dumb and not lazy about my conditions. I restrict food consumption and exercise regularly.

Wow, I think I summed up that guy’s book in one sentence. Restrict excess food consumption and exercise and you will not be overweight.

That’ll be 24.95$ folks, since you got the electronic version. Oral version will be 34.95$ if you want to hear it in person, or I can send it via a .wav file.

Bottom line: don’t buy the book, unless you’re going to read it on the exercise bike!

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Only true to a certain extent. I have three brothers. Growing up I was always the smallest. I am 6’ tall. My brothers range from 6’2" to 6’4".

People genetically predisposed to put on fat may not be able to stay super lean for long but they do not have to be obese and they can stay reasonably lean with some effort.

You missed the point. The point was that people that are predisposed to be fat have to deny the constant compulsion to overeat. If they are successful they can be just as ripped as the next guy. Obsessing about food 24/7 doesn’t sound fun.[/quote]

I obsess about food 24/7. I am obsessing about it now. I think about combining it with sex.

I have I have eaten much more than average my whole life. Now that I am older it is a constant struggle not to pig out.

There is a plate full of big chocolate chip, peanut butter and oatmeal raisin cookies in the kitchen here at work right now. It is damn hard to resist even though I just had a big pile of steak with salad.

In about 1/2 an hour I will have my apple and string cheese.

I enjoy over eating. I enjoy having a decent physique more.

Will power plays a HUGE role in physique change.

Short term diets don’t work. Learning to eat correctly combined with exercise as a lifetime commitment is the only way to change.

We all know this. This was not discussed in the article. The article was about average slobs looking for an excuse to fail.

The article, while it had some interesting points, is just giving people like CaliLaw an excuse to eat some greasy pizza toppings when he knows he should be losing some blubber.

Incredibly stupid article.

I am confused, what exactly are people arguing about on here?

yes, we are arguing to get you confused, which has been shown to be a trigger of hunger and eating.

thus, by reading this thread about a book relating overeating and weight management, we are confusing you and making you hungry. all of this association results in you overeating, getting fat, and then you buying this book. in other words, buy the book or obtain my .wav file for 34.95$ (see above thread), hopefully that wasn’t confusing. you aren’t hungry suddenly, are you? (buy the book)

beebuddy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

People genetically predisposed to put on fat may not be able to stay super lean for long but they do not have to be obese and they can stay reasonably lean with some effort.

You missed the point. The point was that people that are predisposed to be fat have to deny the constant compulsion to overeat. If they are successful they can be just as ripped as the next guy. Obsessing about food 24/7 doesn’t sound fun.

I obsess about food 24/7. I am obsessing about it now. I think about combining it with sex.

I have I have eaten much more than average my whole life. Now that I am older it is a constant struggle not to pig out.

There is a plate full of big chocolate chip, peanut butter and oatmeal raisin cookies in the kitchen here at work right now. It is damn hard to resist even though I just had a big pile of steak with salad.

In about 1/2 an hour I will have my apple and string cheese.

I enjoy over eating. I enjoy having a decent physique more.

Will power plays a HUGE role in physique change.

Short term diets don’t work. Learning to eat correctly combined with exercise as a lifetime commitment is the only way to change.

We all know this. This was not discussed in the article. The article was about average slobs looking for an excuse to fail.

The article, while it had some interesting points, is just giving people like CaliLaw an excuse to eat some greasy pizza toppings when he knows he should be losing some blubber. [/quote]

Lol, you are nuts zap.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:

Lol, you are nuts zap.[/quote]

Pretty much. Mostly I just like busting CaliLaw’s chops.

I think a lot of the problem has to do with the fact, that a person’s BF% is largely viewed as a cosmetic issue. Yeah pretty much everyone KNOWS that being fat causes health issues, but that’s not the first thing that comes to mind when they think about their condition. It’s not until they experience those health problems that they really start to think about it. That or they have some kinda of awakening so to speak.

Kinda like brushing your teeth. Everyone KNOWS its healthy, but if you ask anyone the first thing they would say, is that they don’t want yellow teeth, so they take care of them. ( that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but it illustrates my point.)

Zap, I think you are being a lil judgemental towards C-Law, I didn’t read anything in his posts on this thread that came across to me as him using an excuse. He made a point that for some it is hard to maintain weight loss because of genetics. I believe that is true. I don’t believe that is an excuse however, and the article never stated it as an excuse.

What suprises me as that a lot of people are amazed by the fact that you have to work to lose weight. I mean would you get a job, work for one day, then expect to sit on your ass and draw a paycheck for the rest of your life? I don’t see why people think fat loss would be any different.

beebuddy wrote:

Lol, you are nuts zap.

Pretty much. Mostly I just like busting CaliLaw’s chops. [/quote]

Yea he opened himself up to it with this one, but I actally sympathize with him. I also think that this article goes a little ways to explain the people who just “can’t gain weight even though they eat soooo much.” I’ve never understood those people because packing on weight and muscle has never come hard. But I think I can sympathize with those skinny bastards a little bit after reading the article.

beebuddy wrote:

Lol, you are nuts zap.

Zap, new avatar huh?

You had to mention the cookies?

beebuddy wrote:

Lol, you are nuts zap.

heh I missed the sarcasm, it went right over my head.

Has anyone here done the V-Diet? Then you know what it feels like to obsess about food 24/7!

I had daily fantasies about eating raw celery and carrots. Anything I could actually CHEW.

It was the first time in my life I tried a “diet”, and it really gave me a knew sympathy for the sort of will power it must take for people who have eating problems.

Of course waking up every day, going to work and choosing not to smoke or otherwise kill yourself are all part of making the right choices in life. No one said it was easy.

Yeah, a friend of mine said that most of lifes happiest moments arn’t “Fun”. Being Happy or succesful in any endeavor takes work, and sacrifice.

In reality, being able to turn down food, is mostly an issue of priorities. Look at alcoholics, they have to struggle with that all the time. It is only through practice, that you develop the dicipline to overcome. So enough evidence is there to prove it can be done.

[quote]SwampThing wrote:
…Zap, I think you are being a lil judgemental towards C-Law, I didn’t read anything in his posts on this thread that came across to me as him using an excuse. He made a point that for some it is hard to maintain weight loss because of genetics. I believe that is true. I don’t believe that is an excuse however, and the article never stated it as an excuse.

…[/quote]

Yes I am being a prick to him but he deserves it from his many previous posts.

[quote]SwampThing wrote:
Zap, I think you are being a lil judgemental towards C-Law, I didn’t read anything in his posts on this thread that came across to me as him using an excuse. He made a point that for some it is hard to maintain weight loss because of genetics. I believe that is true. I don’t believe that is an excuse however, and the article never stated it as an excuse.[/quote]

Thanks for the defense, but I don’t need it, as I’m not fat by any definition. What you probably don’t know is that Zap stalks my posts on the forum. It’s pretty amusing, actually, and I always get in a good chuckle when he “busts my chops.”

He deliberately makes up facts about me so that he can “score points” throwing those (false) facts back at me.

A forum is like a community. Everyone has their “Zaps.”

But back to the discussion…

Out of curiosity, what are the units on willpower?

willwatts? willcalories/hour?

Is it possible that the obese just expend fewer willcalories/hour than do “normal” people?