Farmers Walk

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I saw this in one of the quoted articles:

I guess I don’t really think 50% bodyweight per hand is very heavy.

What do you all consider “heavy” on farmers walks? And for what kind of distance?[/quote]

I don’t know where that comes from but that sounds like bullshit to me. I am a pretty short and heavy guy (5’9" and about 260#) and I can get about my bodyweight in each and walk with it for 50’. I can basically run with half that weight in each hand. I’ve also never needed anything more than chalk as my hands tend to sweat and ruin my grip if I don’t use it. And if anything I think that using straps will make you more likely to injure yourself. When you do a heavy carry like a farmers walk you can feel the weight going through your whole body - you know when you are reaching your limit. If you cant dump that weight when something happens then you can get seriously injured.
[/quote]

I’ve actually seen a fair share of injuries FROM dumping weight on farmers. Especially the top loaders. Guy gets to his limit, drops the implement, doesn’t realize that his ankle was under one of them and then CRASH. Broken ankles/feet/toes/etc.

The other classic is dropping them while you’re still running and then tripping right over them, haha.

Really, I guess the moral of the story is that none of this stuff is safe.