T Nation

Farmers Walk

Whata a good standard for a farmers walk? Half of your bodyweight in each hand for 50 steps? etc etc…

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Whata a good standard for a farmers walk? Half of your bodyweight in each hand for 50 steps? etc etc…[/quote]
Search function, brother.

Quantifying The Farmer’s Walk:

“Carry as far or as long as you like, provided head, trunk, and pelvic posture is technically sound. If this is a problem initially, perform short duration sets (10-20 feet in length, or less than 15-20 seconds in length), with complete rest between sets for a larger number of sets (6-10 sets/session). Decrease rest periods and/or increase distances as your physiology and biomechanics improve.”

When warming up, weights are in the 50% range of what would be used for an end of session work set, while length/duration will be 10-15 feet or 15-20 seconds/set. I’ll go for 4-6 sets in the warm-up as I get great muscle activation.

For metabolic/GPP sets either at the end of a lifting session or on a HIIT day, heavier weights will be used, while the use of hurdles/barriers can be optional. Once good technique is cemented in the basic walk, different variations can be explored."

The Secret of Loaded Carries:

“Farmers Walk: The King of Carries. Go as heavy as you can with 'bells in both hands, just like in a Strongman competition. This can be done really heavy for short distances or lighter for great distances. My favorite variation is really heavy for great distances.”

Boy, You Gotta Carry That Weight:

“… you can either count the number of steps you take on each carry (the magic number is 100 per set), or time your set, with the goal of reaching 60 seconds.

Counting steps might be marginally easier, but takes a lot of concentration to remember where you are when you’re in the high double digits and the blood has vacated your brain.”

Figuring Out Your Life and Lifting Goals:

“Loaded Carry (Farmer Walk)
Expected: Farmer Walk with total body weight (half per hand)
Game Changer: Body weight per hand

The distance of the Farmer Walk will vary, but let’s assume something as short as 40 meters.”

Bodyweight in each hand for 100ft is my current goal. Haven’t tested it in awhile though. I know a lot of very strong people are carrying 1.5xBW for 75ft+.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Whata a good standard for a farmers walk? Half of your bodyweight in each hand for 50 steps? etc etc…[/quote]
Search function, brother.

Quantifying The Farmer’s Walk:

“Carry as far or as long as you like, provided head, trunk, and pelvic posture is technically sound. If this is a problem initially, perform short duration sets (10-20 feet in length, or less than 15-20 seconds in length), with complete rest between sets for a larger number of sets (6-10 sets/session). Decrease rest periods and/or increase distances as your physiology and biomechanics improve.”

When warming up, weights are in the 50% range of what would be used for an end of session work set, while length/duration will be 10-15 feet or 15-20 seconds/set. I’ll go for 4-6 sets in the warm-up as I get great muscle activation.

For metabolic/GPP sets either at the end of a lifting session or on a HIIT day, heavier weights will be used, while the use of hurdles/barriers can be optional. Once good technique is cemented in the basic walk, different variations can be explored."

The Secret of Loaded Carries:

“Farmers Walk: The King of Carries. Go as heavy as you can with 'bells in both hands, just like in a Strongman competition. This can be done really heavy for short distances or lighter for great distances. My favorite variation is really heavy for great distances.”

Boy, You Gotta Carry That Weight:

“… you can either count the number of steps you take on each carry (the magic number is 100 per set), or time your set, with the goal of reaching 60 seconds.

Counting steps might be marginally easier, but takes a lot of concentration to remember where you are when you’re in the high double digits and the blood has vacated your brain.”

Figuring Out Your Life and Lifting Goals:

“Loaded Carry (Farmer Walk)
Expected: Farmer Walk with total body weight (half per hand)
Game Changer: Body weight per hand

The distance of the Farmer Walk will vary, but let’s assume something as short as 40 meters.”[/quote]
thanks for the great answer