Farmer's Walk Training

Well, I don’t know if this helps at all but I “farmers walked” 2 gallons of milk in each hand (in bags) about 1.5 miles a month or so ago. I know this doesn’t come anywhere near 195 lbs. just saying with that light a weight my traps were pretty strained at the end, and my hands were pretty beat up. It was not difficult to carry at all but seriously 1.5 miles is a LONG long way to carry something.

You all are probably a lot stronger then me in the farmer’s walk, but 4 gallons was a bit of a pain. 195 lbs., I can’t even really think of words to describe what that would be like.

The reason you can’t think of words to describe what the “walk” would be like is because there will be no glorious walk to describe. Minotaur expresses great optimism in completing his goal, which is great. Unfortunately, I don’t care how great his strength-endurance is, he will fail. Besides, at your current level of strength, 195 lbs. in each hand would be a maximum strength event, and 2-3 months of training won’t change this. It just ain’t happenin’.

I’ve come to accept that. I got quite a bit ahead of myself, as I had nobody else’s experiences to use as a measuring stick.

The question I need to figure out for myself now is, do I Farmer’s Walk with 1/2 bodyweight in each hand (possibly allowing rests), or try for the Inman mile. As I said, it’s not until April or May. I could push it back to June, but, I’d rather not go that far back. But I’m officially declaring this now: I will do one of these.

The Inman sounds very intriguing, but the FW are something I’m more familiar with. I’ll research the Inman mile a bit more…as if that will make any difference. ; )

The trouble with the Inman walk with a barbell is what happens if you have to put the barbell down? Do you clean it and then get it onto your shoulders again? Cleaning 300 plus pounds is something few can do, especially after having walked with it on their back for a while. One thing to consider would be a “super yoke” type apparatus. This would be easy to set down and pick up again.
As far as the farmer’s walk just start light and keep going. So, the first time go 1.5 miles with 20 lb.s in each hand. If this is easy do it with 30 and so on until you see what a realistic goal is.

That’s the thing about the Inman mile; you can’t set the weight down. You can stop and rest and you may even be offered “refreshments” but the weight stays on you back the whole time.
“Crazy Hard”!

Go to
http://www.usawa.com/
for a better description and for a complete listing of the crazy lifts we do.

Great site. F14, the teeth lift is especially hardcore.

I would recommend the Steinborn Squat. It will truely test your metal. You could also do it if you work out in a “chrome” gym to really freak everyone out. Especially the owner!

www.rit.edu/~ito3153/sat_morning

I don’t know what you look like compared to me, but carrying 115 lb on each arm i rested them once and made it around 750 feet for 1 rep style. Didn’t do anymore cause I had limited time, but judge off of that. Best of luck, but I’ll shit you a piece of gold if you complete this.

That is an ambitious undertaking. First try walking 1 1/2 miles with 50 lbs. in each hand. When you can do that comfortably move to 75 or 100 per hand. Do this until you get to your goal weight. You will probably find that 50 pounds is a hell of lot heavier than it sounds especially after the 1 mile mark.

The Inman mile sounds like a ton of fun, my training partner and I take a barbell and FW implements over to a HS track sometimes and walk around it with the barbell on our back or carrying the FW handles. We can walk one mile with 135 on our backs, I guess we will just need to start being more aggressive with our weight progression. I think this is something that he and I could possibly do, given we continue training for it on a consistent basis.

As far as the 1.5 mile farmer walk (FW), perhaps you could get another person to join you and the two of you could tag team the weight for the distance. That would give you short resting periods while the weight is still being moved. Once again, this is something my training partner and I do at the track (we take about 110 in each hand and tag team 1/4 mile and 1/2 miles).

And we do this all just for the fun of it! Hooray for insanity!

Regards,

Sensless

[quote]Minotaur wrote:
vandalay15 wrote:…195 lbs. in each hand would be a maximum strength event, and 2-3 months of training won’t change this. It just ain’t happenin’.

I’ve come to accept that. I got quite a bit ahead of myself, as I had nobody else’s experiences to use as a measuring stick.

The question I need to figure out for myself now is, do I Farmer’s Walk with 1/2 bodyweight in each hand (possibly allowing rests), or try for the Inman mile. As I said, it’s not until April or May. I could push it back to June, but, I’d rather not go that far back. But I’m officially declaring this now: I will do one of these.

The Inman sounds very intriguing, but the FW are something I’m more familiar with. I’ll research the Inman mile a bit more…as if that will make any difference. ; )[/quote]

Hey pal, here’s an idea, why don’t you go to the gym today (or wherever you train) and actually try them both! See which one you like then train for it logical steps.

Good luck

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Hey pal, here’s an idea, why don’t you go to the gym today (or wherever you train) and actually try them both! See which one you like then train for it logical steps.

Good luck
[/quote]

Hmmm, I guess that might work…if I wanted to use “common sense”.

How did it go?