Farmer's Walk Questions...

Farmers walk question

Hey CT I had a question about farmers walks.

So I have been using the scheme 5sets for 60sec tension time with 60second rest period.
I’ve been attempting to use the same weight for all 5 sets.
(Trying to adhere to 40% max trap bar deadlift as written in your article)

My problem is by the time I get up to set 4 ( today it was set3) my grip is basically done.
I have to drop the weight reset and continue going.
Today I hit a point where I couldn’t even reset and do it in clusters/extended set. It was bad: lifted it up took two steps and had put it right back down.

Goals right now weightloss/body comp, grip/core strength, muscular size.

Trying to think of a few solutions:

â?¢Go down in weight when this situation arises (40%,40%,35%,30%,25%)

â?¢Starting off with an entirely easier weight that I can do for 5 min straight (afriad that weight may be enough for grip but not taxing at all for conditioning/overall muscularity)

â?¢Use straps when the situation arises but keep at 40% for all sets:
-start the set with no straps see how far I can get then use the straps to finish the set
-when I can no longer do a full decent set, use straps at the begining for all subsequent sets.

Let me know if this is clear. sorry if my goals seem jumbled.

Thank you for your help!

[quote]AbsoluteBoxer wrote:
Farmers walk question

Hey CT I had a question about farmers walks.

So I have been using the scheme 5sets for 60sec tension time with 60second rest period.
I’ve been attempting to use the same weight for all 5 sets.
(Trying to adhere to 40% max trap bar deadlift as written in your article)

My problem is by the time I get up to set 4 ( today it was set3) my grip is basically done.
I have to drop the weight reset and continue going.
Today I hit a point where I couldn’t even reset and do it in clusters/extended set. It was bad: lifted it up took two steps and had put it right back down.

Goals right now weightloss/body comp, grip/core strength, muscular size.

Trying to think of a few solutions:

â?¢Go down in weight when this situation arises (40%,40%,35%,30%,25%)

â?¢Starting off with an entirely easier weight that I can do for 5 min straight (afriad that weight may be enough for grip but not taxing at all for conditioning/overall muscularity)

â?¢Use straps when the situation arises but keep at 40% for all sets:
-start the set with no straps see how far I can get then use the straps to finish the set
-when I can no longer do a full decent set, use straps at the begining for all subsequent sets.

Let me know if this is clear. sorry if my goals seem jumbled.

Thank you for your help![/quote]

When I recommend a % to start with it’s not the word of God, it can be changed especially when talking about carries. Use a lighter weight for all your sets and only progresses when you know you will be able to handle the load.

haha thanks CT!