Farmers Walk Question

When doing the farmers walk, should my elbows be locked out or bent slightly to take the strain off the joint. I’v been noticing pain in my elbows lately, and think they might be related.

Locked out. You could strain a bicep if they are bent slightly!

[quote]GetTheHIT wrote:
When doing the farmers walk, should my elbows be locked out or bent slightly to take the strain off the joint. I’v been noticing pain in my elbows lately, and think they might be related.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure you do not want to flex the elbow as that’s a good way to hurt the bicep tendon.

Though anyone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Farmers walk is supposed to work your grip … I’m pretty sure you’re elbows don’t need to be locked for them … I never do and I’ve never had any problems.

LOL if your able to keep your arm bent flexed any considerable time doing farmers then Id say you need to load those farmers up more. grab them hang on and move straight arm.

Phill

yea man ur elbows should be locked out, its all grip work…and obviously your legs should be moving haha…throw some more weight on that bitch, ur elbows will straighten out quickly, good luck bro

I thought you were asking if you should try to lock your elbows. I’ve never really thought about doing it purposely, but yeah I guess it makes sense that it would happen if you’re using the right amount of weight.

Sorry for my stupid comment b4, I agree with the other guys

thanks a lot for the help

Would it also be a good idea to add an instep calf raise with each step?

[quote]Florida Titan wrote:
Would it also be a good idea to add an instep calf raise with each step?[/quote]

your joking right?

No

[quote]KO421 wrote:
Florida Titan wrote:

your joking right?

NO[/quote]

LOL well the point is get a heavy weight and move fast. Sounds to me like prancing and going up on your toes will not only slow you down but be a good way to possibly get injured.

Save the direct calf training for calf training.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
KO421 wrote:
Florida Titan wrote:

your joking right?

NO

LOL well the point is get a heavy weight and move fast. Sounds to me like prancing and going up on your toes will not only slow you down but be a good way to possibly get injured.

Phill

[/quote]

I wouldn’t call it prancing more like making a more direct effort to use the calves in the motion.

Thank you for the informative awnser Phill.

“you’re joking right?” doesn’t help anyone.

Phill wrote:
KO421 wrote:
Florida Titan wrote:

your joking right?

NO

Phill

I wouldn’t call it prancing more like making a more direct effort to use the calves in the motion.

[/quote]

No prob bro it is kind of a funny question kind of IMO like asking should I add a barbell curl on the end of my dealift after the lock out. Use the moves for what they are and farmers go heavy its more grip and core and trying to move your calves will get worked but in the whole with everything else

Phill

Phill wrote:
KO421 wrote:
Florida Titan wrote:

your joking right?

NO

Phill

[/quote]

To add to this, if the weight is heavy enough, your calves will get stimulated. At the same time you won’t build monster calves by only doing farmers walks. If you want to hit the calves even more, do uphill farmers walks. But don’t lose focus of what the exercise is. It’s a full body movement with emphasis on grip and body stability. If you want to target calves, there are better movements.

Phill wrote:
KO421 wrote:
Florida Titan wrote:

your joking right?

NO

Phill

[/quote]

I meant that seriously, it is hard to tell if someone is trying to make a joke or be serious over the forum.

I think uphill truck pulls would work the calfs better.

You could do calf raises with farmers bars. But I dont see much benefit to trying to focus of the calf muscle while doing them.

I had not heard of a farmer until reading another discussion so I search the site. Is it basically carrying heavy weights while walking?? It sounds like the intent is to build up your grip strength.?
~B

[quote]bhamilton80 wrote:
I had not heard of a farmer until reading another discussion so I search the site. Is it basically carrying heavy weights while walking?? It sounds like the intent is to build up your grip strength.?
~B[/quote]

grip, upper back, traps, forearms, etc…

It also a very common event in strongman comps.

Heavy farmers walks really work a good amount of the body.

Any tips on doing turns with heavy farmer’s walks? They slow me down by like 3-4 seconds.

for a 180-degree turn, you’ll want to go wide with the handles slightly staggered. About 2/3 of the way through the turn stop trying to rotate the handles around - momentum will continue to turn them. If you don’t do this they’ll likely over-rotate and you’ll trip over them.