T Nation

Farmers Walk Idea

Using a tricep bar you can load a load of weight each side. When you run it won’t get in the way of your legs. You hold it on the side of the oblong not the handles. Obviously you need two.

I’ve tried this before a few years back. It does work very well.

I eventually dropped the farmers walk and started using them for high-rep Farmers Deadlifts.

Do you mean a Z-bar? How heavy are they? 20-22 lbs (10 kg)?

This is a decent idea, but unless you already have two tricep bars laying around, it will cost about the same to buy a set of farmers handles.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/6/e/6e142-sprtAllExercise_EquipmentWeider_WDR_EZ_System_Tricep_Bar_EZTBY1-resized200.jpg

I used two of these guys…

I only used them for Farmers Walks for about two weeks before switching to Farmers Deadlifts.

If you have 50-pound exercise plates you can load them up quite heavy. Well, heavy for high-rep sets anyway.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
This is a decent idea, but unless you already have two tricep bars laying around, it will cost about the same to buy a set of farmers handles.[/quote]

I would agree that Farmers Bars are superior, but they ain’t cheaper.

Farmers bars are at least $120 plus shipping. You can go to a sporting good store and get two tri-bars for around $50.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:

Farmers bars are at least $120 plus shipping. You can go to a sporting good store and get two tri-bars for around $50.

[/quote]

http://www.myspace.com/pitbullstrongmanequipment

$90. Shipping included.

I don’t know how much weight I would trust on a $25 tricep bar. Plus I’ve never personally seen them for less than $40.

I built my own farmers bar out of 1-1/2" black pipe. Cheap and effective.

I will post pictures later.

-Machine

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

$90. Shipping included.

I don’t know how much weight I would trust on a $25 tricep bar. Plus I’ve never personally seen them for less than $40.[/quote]

Ok, you win.

I did the tri-bar thing in the mid-90’s while I was living in Hawaii, at that time farmers bar were pricey and shipping was ungodly.

The pitbull bars would be better all the way around.

[quote]machine514 wrote:
I built my own farmers bar out of 1-1/2" black pipe. Cheap and effective.

I will post pictures later.

-Machine[/quote]

I’d like to see them.

Ok, you win.

I did the tri-bar thing in the mid-90’s while I was living in Hawaii, at that time farmers bar were pricey and shipping was ungodly.

The pitbull bars would be better all the way around.[/quote]

LOL, I wasn’t trying to win. I only say this because I actually thought of doing this a couple years back. When I went to look for some tricep bars, I realized I was going to be paying close to $100 for a pair. If I could have found some for less I probably would have bought them.

I’ve also seen people use pipe and some bolts to make a reasonably inexpensive set.

Pipe and bolt farmers would look kinda like this.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Pipe and bolt farmers would look kinda like this.[/quote]

Sweet, them mofos be Realtree’d! You can use them during turkey season.

malonetd wrote:
Pipe and bolt farmers would look kinda like this.

Sweet, them mofos be Realtree’d! You can use them during turkey season.[/quote]

Ha! There on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STRONGMAN-FARMERS-WALK-HANDLES_W0QQitemZ230118554956QQihZ013QQcategoryZ44083QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

$90. Shipping included.

I don’t know how much weight I would trust on a $25 tricep bar. Plus I’ve never personally seen them for less than $40.[/quote]

Have you ordered from this guy before, is the equipment good quality?

[quote]JMac10 wrote:
malonetd wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

$90. Shipping included.

I don’t know how much weight I would trust on a $25 tricep bar. Plus I’ve never personally seen them for less than $40.

Have you ordered from this guy before, is the equipment good quality?[/quote]

Quality and service are topnotch. He also makes everything himslef so if you need something modified or specially made, he will do it, too, time permitting.

I’d like to see them.[/quote]

Here they are.

Right now I have the pipes drilled at the ends so that I can drop bolts in the ends to hold plates on. This does not work very well because the plates move slightly when using the handles. I need to use a collar type system.

-Machine

[quote]machine514 wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

I’d like to see them.

Here they are.

Right now I have the pipes drilled at the ends so that I can drop bolts in the ends to hold plates on. This does not work very well because the plates move slightly when using the handles. I need to use a collar type system.

-Machine[/quote]

cool farmers bars.

The Super Mario Brothers would approve.

I paid 12.99 sterling for 1 set of a tricep bar and ez bar, i already had another set. Although cheap i could load 60-80kgs on each, way enough for me. I got the new set home the other day and the recommendation said to not load more than 40kgs on the tricep bar. Better than nothing but still. I’m going to load them up to 60kgs anyway.