Farmers Log

A “version” of a Glute Ham Raise

Very nice front squats! Wow. You look very fit.

Thanks kpsnap.

Had fish curry last night and I don’t think some of the frozen prawns were thoroughly cooked through. Woke up this morning headachey, weak as a kitten, no appetite and can’t venture too far from the house if you know what I mean. So no cardio today. And I’ve got to miss tomorrows back squat workout because we are travelling to visit family over the weekend. Still a 4 day layoff will probably do me the world of good and I should come back feeling refreshed and raring to go on Monday.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
Thanks daddyzombie. Back squatting tomorrow. Filmed myself last week and discovered my back squats werent as parallel as I thought, so Ive had to lower the weight and start going ATG or as close as my flexibility will allow and then work back up. I’ll post some vids soon.[/quote]

Good for you. The camera doesn’t lie.[/quote]

I tape a crap load of my stuff and it’s been an invaluable training tool. I train with BB but when things get heavy, he’s spotting, not watching depth. Sometimes seeing yourself can be an ego punch. Other times though, you think, wow, that wasn’t half bad :slight_smile:

You’ve inspired me to McGyver my own GHR. Seeing what you’ve done, I think I can do it with my bench and rack.

Have you thought about squatting and pulling in different shoes? Do you ever have issues with movement in your shoes due to compression?

Your front squats were beautiful.

Taping myself has certainly been an eye opener, both good and bad. Pleased with front squat depth, disappointed with back and I wasn’t aware of my feet shuffling and bouncing about so much. I do conciously try to push through the feet on deads so that may be why I spring at the top. I don’t even have my laces done up tightly. Maybe I’ll try and get some flat soled shoes without any cushioning and see how they go. Thanks for stopping by ourboro.

Taping myself has certainly been an eye opener, both good and bad. Pleased with front squat depth, disappointed with back and I wasn’t aware of my feet shuffling and bouncing about so much. I do conciously try to push through the feet on deads so that may be why I spring at the top. I don’t even have my laces done up tightly. Maybe I’ll try and get some flat soled shoes without any cushioning and see how they go. Thanks for stopping by ourboro.[/quote]

It’s worth it. I usually train in chuck taylors. Today I was doing overhead press in some nike cross trainers and I couldn’t deliver as much force to the bar. I could feel it. Hard soles and/or flat soles are the way to go.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:

Taping myself has certainly been an eye opener, both good and bad. Pleased with front squat depth, disappointed with back and I wasn’t aware of my feet shuffling and bouncing about so much. I do conciously try to push through the feet on deads so that may be why I spring at the top. I don’t even have my laces done up tightly. Maybe I’ll try and get some flat soled shoes without any cushioning and see how they go. Thanks for stopping by ourboro.[/quote]

It’s worth it. I usually train in chuck taylors. Today I was doing overhead press in some nike cross trainers and I couldn’t deliver as much force to the bar. I could feel it. Hard soles and/or flat soles are the way to go.[/quote]

Ms. O and DCA are right on. Run, don’t walk, to get some better lifting shoes. I like wrestling shoes, vibram 5 fingers, or chucks. Cushy shoes are an injury waiting to happen.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

It’s worth it. I usually train in chuck taylors. Today I was doing overhead press in some nike cross trainers and I couldn’t deliver as much force to the bar. I could feel it. Hard soles and/or flat soles are the way to go.[/quote]

Ms. O and DCA are right on. Run, don’t walk, to get some better lifting shoes. I like wrestling shoes, vibram 5 fingers, or chucks. Cushy shoes are an injury waiting to happen. [/quote]

Even training at home, bare feet will work. I notice a lot more power in my lifts when I don’t have the cushion in my shoes absorbing part of the force of the lift. I normally wear converse but also lift in O shoes particularly for benching.

Thanks for that great advice everyone, I’m gonna get myself some flat soled shoes straight away. I’ve never given any thought to what I wore on my feet, been lifting for 20 years in trainers, DOH!! That’s the great thing about lifting, no matter how long you’ve been doing it, and how much you think you know you can always learn something new.

Deadlifting tomorrow and after 4 days off I’m raring to go!

Yeah. I love my chucks. I can’t imagine squatting/DLing in running shoes.

18/10/2010

Spent most of the day helping a friend take out an old fireplace. Lots of sledgehammering and rubble moving, not what you want to be doing on Deadlift day!! Still workout went well. Lifted in socks (no shoes yet). Felt stronger off the floor, probably because by taking off the thick soles it meant the bar was, in effect, an inch higher!.

Deadlift 363 lbs 5 sets of 5

Dips @ bodyweight* 20/11/9 (supersetted with) EZ curls @ 104.5 lbs 7/6/5

• Elbows a bit sore from earlier so no weight.

My new goal is 400 lbs for 5 sets of 5

My new goal is 400 lbs for 5 sets of 5[/quote]

Is that your new goal for weighted dips?

Naw, I’m just kidding.

Yep, you’ve got to set the bar high! and my deadlift target is 100lbs for 1 set of 8.

Just jumping in here FBRett, There’s nothing like a solid pair of Chucks or even hard sole skate shoes work real well for the lifts. BTW, nice vids and they always have helped me work out any form issues I’ve had.

Keep at it

19/10/2010

Tabata Intervals on bike 20secs work/10secs rest x 8

Wore my heartrate monitor for a change. Last two intervals were at 174 bpm (97% of my max heartrate).

Recovery heartrate - dropped 174bpm to 148 bpm in first minute.

Absolutely knackered now!

Looks like you’ll hit 400 5x5 deadlift soon, as you are almost there. I wear my work shoes-flat soled for squats, and no shoes for deads. It definately helps I think. “Classic” running shoes with the arch suck for lifting I have found.

Hope so!. My confidence is high at the moment. I’ve never given deadlifts a serious run before because I always felt squatting 2 x a week and deadlifting would be too much. But at the moment I’m adding 5 lbs each week and its small enough that I’m not noticing the increase. I’ve already added over 30 lbs and I feel another 30 is definitely do-able. I may even be capable of it now but I dont want to rush it and stall my progress. So I will have to be patient.

I’m pretty confident that you could get that 400@5x5 right now.

I’m pretty confident that you could get that 400@5x5 right now.[/quote]

But should I?. Would you go for it? Or would I be better off getting there slowly and then maybe going beyond it. I’m afraid of getting carried away and ruining my momentum.