Farmer's Carry Challenge, Bodyweight for Max Distance

My roommate tried this with the trap bar and treadmill in our basement. Didn’t go that well he tells me. No surprises there haha.

I’m going to see what I can do with dumbbells. I love a challenge. I tried it yesterday with our 220lb tire, I lost grip strength at 40 yards. I feel grip strength is going to be my limiting factor. Now give me some straps and I can walk a mile.

Prove it.

A miles a long way when you’re carrying stuff in your hands. I did 1km worth of farmers walks one time, with some swings inbetween it took most of an afternoon.

3 Likes

You are most likely correct. I bet it gets heavy after a while. But for the 40 yards I made it yesterday, I felt like I could have kept going for a mile. I’ll see what I can do.

Probably like how when you feel you can overhead press 100lbs 100 times, but you get to the 25th rep and things go bad.

1 Like

I’m genuinely interested to see how you get on man.

1 Like

You probably can, but it will be a world of suffering. Actually I do my carries with 100 kgs (more than bodyweight but still) for 75 secs/45 secs rest. I can tell you that at the fifth set your traps and shoulders feel like they will rip appart

1 Like

I did a 1/4 mile with 235 and straps and it sucked bad. I still had to set it down a few times. Even with straps it would still slip. As soon as the rain clears I’m gonna see how far I can carry ~205 strapless. Grip is definitely a weak point for me.

I was planning on going to the walking track by my neighborhood. Where I live it’s too hilly, so no turns for me!

3 Likes

When I do these I have to turn FIVE times furing the run, and with a trap-bar it’s horrible to turn around ahahah

If grip is the good point well that’s a good sign!

The turns definitely add some time I would think. I’m gonna say I’ve got 300 yards in me. Gonna feel real good to come back and report my 113’ carry before a drop :joy:

I think for most people, grip will give out first. I know that is the case for me, so if I was doing it with bodyweight on a straight shot…I would just move really, really fast.

It’s the kind of thing that would seem like a brilliant idea right up until the point where you had to get off the damn thing.

1 Like

This is the plan! Straight shot down my county road. Just waiting for the rain to stop and I can mark off some distances.

1 Like

Please film it. Like Blair Witch style.

My son will have to be in charge of the camera and that’s exactly what it will look like!

1 Like

Well if it’s not your grip that fails, you have body issues you really need to address

Instead of turning you guys should walk forward, then backwards, then forward then backwards…

4 Likes

I’m in for this.

Results with 115’s. 40 yards bare hands before I lost grip strength with left hand.

With straps, 60 yards before left shoulder started to fatigue and still lost grip with left hand. Straps were digging into my hands.

Do it on a fresh day! Grip goes fast if you are not recovered from other lifting. Chalk helps massively too!

1 Like

I think you could win this!

1 Like

I did 500 for 100+ft in straps a while back, and while my deadlift hasn’t changed much my grip is much improved. I bet I could go pretty far with 180

3 Likes