Farmer Walks After Lifting Or a Day of Their Own?

After trying an upper/lower for a couple months I have decided to go back to a 2 day a week full body lifting schedule below. I am 62 years old and my shoulders get aggravates if I add in extra pressing. Also, stretching and flexibility is every day.

I like doing Farmer Walks. Would give them a separate day (I am thinking Saturday) or add them at the end of the workout on Monday and Thursday?

Monday
Squat – 3 sets of 5 Pros / 2 sets of 5-8 FSL
Close-grip Bench – 3 sets of 5 Pros / 2 sets of 5-8 FSL
• Pulldowns – 5 sets of 10 reps
• DB RDLs – 3 sets of 10 reps
• Triceps Rope Press Down – 3 sets of 10 reps

Tuesday

Air dyne 20 min HIIT

Thursday
Trap-bar Deadlift – 3 sets of 3 Pros / 2 sets of 5 FSL
Press – 3 sets of 5 Pros / 2 sets of 5-8 FSL
• Inverted Rows – 5 sets of 10 reps
• Goblet Squat – 3 sets of 10 reps
• DB Curls – 3 sets of 10 reps

Friday

Air dyne 20 min HIIT

1 Like

Looks like a good set up to me. How heavy are you doing your farmers walks?

85 pounds each hand. Thinking about using the trap bar to add more weight.

1 Like

Is that heavy for you?

If its near maximal, a separate day is probably better. If not, just do them at the end of your other sessions. Consider mixing it up a bit with different carries as well. Maybe farmers walk some days, waiters walk others, suitcases carry other days. Keep it interesting, and allow yourself to use lighter variants on days where you’re feeling a bit beat up.

It’s not farmers walk but I’m doing “light” yoke very often. On both working days and non working days. As conditioning. But also a strength finisher. It’s just 15m return emom.
It’s not scientific but it’s working.

I’d say do it any way you’d like. Find what works. Try it for 2 weeks and if you’re struggling change things up.

1 Like