T Nation

Farm Bill Passes With Flying Colors

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080516/OPINION08/805160390/1291/OPINION08

Bush to veto, but will be overruled if votes stay the same in Congress.

"Both the U.S. House and Senate this week passed a $300 billion farm bill that will shower even more taxpayer subsidies on corporations and some of the nation’s wealthiest farmers…

Under the legislation, the government promises to purchase excess sugar from producers at 23 cents a pound. The sugar then will be resold to ethanol producers at 2 cents a pound."

More federal funds to prop up production of produce that the market does not want. And sends us more shitty food in the process. This pisses us off to no end, no? Is this an inevitable fact of life in America, is there NO way this will ever be fixed?

Sigh, (tear)…

This bill demands a veto. Thankfully Bush is man enoough to do it. Stop giving breaks to farmers and oil companies when they don’t need them! Save that shit for true had times.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
This bill demands a veto. Thankfully Bush is man enoough to do it. Stop giving breaks to farmers and oil companies when they don’t need them! Save that shit for true had times.[/quote]

Seriously. This bullshit is ruining our economy, not to mention starving the citizens of the 3rd world.

This is why all of us should start shopping local produce/local meat sellers only. I know that’s hard because of the convenience factor, but if you can afford to buy in bulk, then why not help out your local farmers at the local farmer’s market?

My wife and I have started this, because I’m sick of “corporate” farming pushing out smaller family farms with their monopolistic business. I grew up on a farm and it’s heartbreaking to watch people like my dad lose business to a Fortune 500 “farm” business.

I have to agree with Bush

A terrible piece of legislation for the American people, and I hope that Bush has the brains and balls to slap it with a veto.

Good grief, WTF are they thinking?

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
This is why all of us should start shopping local produce/local meat sellers only. I know that’s hard because of the convenience factor, but if you can afford to buy in bulk, then why not help out your local farmers at the local farmer’s market?

My wife and I have started this, because I’m sick of “corporate” farming pushing out smaller family farms with their monopolistic business. I grew up on a farm and it’s heartbreaking to watch people like my dad lose business to a Fortune 500 “farm” business.[/quote]

A local farmers market is opening up near one of the fire stations I used to work at and I’m planning on doing just this. I already do this when I can with corn. It’s almost always much better IMHO.

I like the idea of supporting the small local farmers.

For what we’ve heard about how grass fed beef is better anyhow, many E-businesses are opening up their shipping to other states, beyond the local customer base.

Basically, if you can afford to buy healthier beef in bulk, it’s giving a big ‘fuck you’ to Dean’s Beef and other Fortune 500 beef industries. I recommend buying over the Interwebz.

I’ve ordered beef jerky from here - fucking good stuff.