T Nation

Far Infrared Laser for Fat Burning... Anyone?

Anyone seen any independent studies done on this? The only things I've been able to Google are places that sell the machines. Some of the literature makes some pretty outrageous claims, like the infrared frequency "cooks" the water in the fat cell, melting it, while leaving the surrounding tissue unharmed.

My instinct tells me this is nothing more than a glorified heating pad, but I'd like to see some (or at least 1) independent studie(s) on whether or not this is has any medical validity for this purpose, or if it is complete quackery. After all, if fat "melting" were this easy, we'd all be getting it done at a fraction of the cost of lipsuction, and most gyms would go out of business. On the other hand, I couldn't find one thing that backs up my hunch on the whole big, bad internet, so I'll keep a partially open mind for now.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

What good is it to remove all your fat like that if you haven't changed the habits that got you there in the first place?

I have heard from a Pro that many of the top bodybuilders have infrared body chambers...they are suppose to detoxify the body and reduce fat...I think it is the same technique for skin treatments, just not as extreme....No joke

Right, but again, it's he said/she said. The top bodybuilders are doing a gazillion things to their bodies already, and that may be just a glorified sweat box that helps them drop some water. Not saying there's no benefit to that, just that it could be accomplished by simpler, cheaper means.

I've heard the same thing about how it detoxifies and such, but I'm extremely leery of such claims without clinical studies. For instance, as a Licensed Massage Therapist here in FL, I hear the word "toxins" tossed about by my colleagues constantly. Most of them seem to think that massage pushes "toxins" out of muscle tissue and into the blood stream, which it does not. The grain of truth here is that massage can move lymph, which is the toxic sludge stored in your lymph nodes, which are clustered in certain sites around your body. However, if you're not actually targeting the lymph nodes, the amount of "toxins" you move into circulating blood will be incidental and likely very small.

Likewise, I'm thinking that since infrared is basically just heat energy, that one of these gizmos can make you sweat balls, thereby forcing you to drink more water, and somewhat "detoxifying" you by this process. So while one of it's claims is technically not a lie, the claim of how it accomplishes this may well be. So the consumer, instead of just sitting in a room with the AC turned off for an hour, shells out money for "fat burning" treatments from this very scientific-sounding whirly-gig.

Hey, thanks for the input though, man!

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if it were true the answer is pretty simple; get it done again after you fatten up.

I mean, if one could really just get their fat cooked off in a non-invasive, fairly cheap procedure with 0 side effects, how many people would bother exercising at all? I mean, we on this board that exercise regularly are already in the minority, and those of us that bodybuild, powerlift, or otherwise lift weights are still practically freaks to the lay public.

Never said I had any plans to use this thing, but if it's far-fetched claims were true, I would certainly employ it as a tool for my physique, but I don't want to be just "not fat". I, like most on this board, want the slabs of muscle, too.