T Nation

FAO: Night Shift Workers

I have a friend who trains who’s starting a night shift, doing 10pm to 6am - when I return to work, I might do similar hours if I get a job with him

Just wandering as to how your day looked, what time you got up, what time you went to bed, did you train before you went to work or after, etc.

As much info as possible would be great

Cheers

night shift workers die earlier. period.

[quote]miniross wrote:
night shift workers die earlier. period.[/quote]

Depends, I worked two-shift(week 1 06:00-14:30, week 2 14:30-23:00) for many years before I switched over to nightshift (23:00-06:00). Night shift was a lot better, you have a fixed schedule, a lot easier on the body. I felt sooooo much better working nights.

Comparing a “normal” day job with night, you might be right but comparing two shift with night shift I would take night everytime.

[quote]knighty wrote:
I have a friend who trains who’s starting a night shift, doing 10pm to 6am - when I return to work, I might do similar hours if I get a job with him

Just wandering as to how your day looked, what time you got up, what time you went to bed, did you train before you went to work or after, etc.

As much info as possible would be great

Cheers [/quote]

When I worked night I went to bed when I came home around 7AM, got up around 2-3PM. Worked out in the evening and when my friends were going to bed, I went to work.

Some guys I worked with slept 3-4 hours when they came home and another 3-4 hours just before they went to work, didn’t work for me though.

I currently work a night shift. I go to work at 1600 and get off at 0100. I can usually get to sleep around 0200. I work this shift to take care of my daughter (saves on daycare) so I have to get up when she does. That is usually around 0830, so I get at least 6 good, solid hours of sleep. Sometimes we take a nap later, but not always. After a good breakfast and some play time, I try and get my workouts in during the 1300-1500 time frame. This usually works out well, and I love training at home, but it holds me back a little on my max lifts (which aren’t really that “max” yet). If I happen to drop a barbell and crush my chest, I have not only a bad situation with my personal health but also a 14 month old that needs attention. Needless to say I have to work within my limits most of the time.

S.C. lifter,

props

I work from 2200 until 0830, then train, and either work my 2nd job, or just chill out until about 1200, when I go to bed. I usually get up around 2100. The problems arise on the weekends. I try to go home after the workout and get a couple hours of sleep, then get up and socialize with people on a normal schedule. Ie: get off sat @ 0830, train, sleep from 1000-1300. Up until 0000, sleep from 0000-0800, up all day, sleep from 0000-0800 next day, then try to take a nap from 1600-2100 before I have to go back to work. I work a weird sched to, 14 day split, 3 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 2 off. Repeats every two weeks

I’ve worked Third shift (10pm-6am) for 3 years. I go to bed around 7am and sleep until 2pm or so. I get up, coffee, eat, shower, errands, etc. I go train from 5:30-7:30. Come home, spend some time with the fiance, and start getting ready for work again. I like lifting after a full night’s rest instead of getting off work (tired) then going to lift. My “personal time” off work is the same as a First shifter (2pm-10pm). The only difference is our sleep/work schedules are opposite. I think the key is time management no matter what shift you work.

I’m a cop working a 5 days on/5 days off schedule. My shift starts at 5:30PM to 4:15 AM. I’m usually in bed between 4:30AM and 5:00AM. I wake up around 11:00AM, have breakfast and go to the gym. I,ll have a protein shake after working out and go to work. I eat lunch around 6:00PM and dinner around 10:00PM. I also bring some protein bars and fruit/nuts with me for snacks. I’ve seen a lot of articles written suggesting that you should stay awake after a shift like this and go to bed around 11:00AM. I have found this impractical and just about impossible. I am convinced that these articles are written by people who have never worked nights.

[quote]dexslave wrote:
S.C. lifter,

props

[/quote]

Thanks, dude