Fantasy Book Recommendation

Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun (a 4-part series) is incredible. I’ve read it through 4 times and still get more out of it each time.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:
Any one have any books that has a badass Viking like main charterer, like Conan? I read all the Conan books. [/quote]

Read Druss the Legend or really anything by David Gemmel

Really none of you guys mentioned David Gemmel ?

Actually to the OP Some books by Gary Gygax (Co-creator of D&D) were the Gord the Rogue series. Has all you asked for and more.

Terry Brooks Shannara series but perhaps from Wishsong onwards and the Heritage of Shannara (Scions, Druid etc) series.

Raymond E Feist from Magician probably through to King’s Buccaneer. Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon are great books.

Dragonlance - Chronicles Trilogy and Legends (Twins) Trilogy. Raistlin is still one of my fave characters.

Drizz’t’s series Dark Elf Trilogy and Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Mallorean and Belgariad by David Eddings. Bit long winded but a good read.

And Stephen King Eyes of the Dragon (I really enjoyed this book).

Shannara series

Midgard series

The Sapphire Rose series

Still I like Gemmel the best. Characters seem so real, not some cookie cutter cardboard cutout so prevalent in this genre. Like the author read the breakdown of the various alignments in AD&D and said heres my bad guy lets make him Chaotic Evil…and are good guy lets make him Lawful Good! —Lame.

Yeah, the Raymond E. Feist books feel closest to D&D stuff.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:
Any one have any books that has a badass Viking like main charterer, like Conan? I read all the Conan books. [/quote]

Me too.

You should see my nice hardcover of all Robert E. Howard’s stories.

I only have a few of the books about Conan by other authors and I look for them when I can.

The thing I like is that following Conan books is easy, the stories that try to have 200 characters and 500 place names annoy me.

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

Actually to the OP Some books by Gary Gygax (Co-creator of D&D) were the Gord the Rogue series. Has all you asked for and more.[/quote]

Shit. I forgot about Gygax! Solid recommendation thanks!

[quote]silverblood wrote:
go to this site for free library and pieces of new releases by authors such as
Piers Anthony-the Zanth series
Andre Norton-so damn many good ones
L. Sprague deCamp-Enchanter series
Sarah Hoyt-Shapeshifter series

some of my favorite authors. when I see one of their books at the library I don’t even bother reading the dust jacket. just grab it
Simon R. Green-Nightside series-the Forest Kingdom
Jim Butcher-the Dresden Chronicles-the Codex Alera
Terry Goodkind-Sword of Truth series
Naomi Novik-Temeraire series-the Napoleonic Wars fought with dragons

Kevin Hearne-the Iron Druid series-clip from amazon;
Atticus Oâ??Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years oldâ??when in actuality, heâ??s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.
Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and heâ??s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his powerâ??plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irishâ??to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

this man died in 09 so sadly no more from him
David Eddings-start at the Pawn of Prophecy and just keep going
[/quote]

Thanks for the link! Good stuff. I got a vacation to Florida coming up, and I’m set.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

Check out that book by Michael Crichton. The Jurassic Park author. He made a bad-ass Viking book. The name escapes me…

Eaters of the dead ^^^^^^^

Or watch the movie “The 13th Warrior” —based loosely on the novel.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

Me too.

I only have a few of the books about Conan by other authors and I look for them when I can.

The thing I like is that following Conan books is easy, the stories that try to have 200 characters and 500 place names annoy me.[/quote]

Read Legend by David Gemmell

I will look for his books this week. I’ve seen his name before but never checked him out. Thanks!

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

Actually to the OP Some books by Gary Gygax (Co-creator of D&D) were the Gord the Rogue series. Has all you asked for and more.[/quote]
Thanks. I’m going to pick up some Gemmel next time I go book shopping.

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
If you are into D&D, you should check out the Forgotten Realms (a campaign setting in D&D) novels. The Elminster series is good, as are the Drizzt ones. Among the newer ones that are good are the War of the Spider Queen series, the Haunted Lands trilogy, and the Erevis Cale novels.[/quote]

YES. The Drizzt books are awesome. I highly recommend those.

Also, the Ender series from Orson Scott Card is great, although its more sci-fi

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

Me too.

The thing I like is that following Conan books is easy, the stories that try to have 200 characters and 500 place names annoy me.[/quote]

Read Legend by David Gemmell[/quote]

I went to my local bookstore and they only had one Gemmel book, White Wolf but I got it. I’m assuming he doesn’t have this as a series…I mean where you need to read book one first sort of thing. Sure I’ll check on wikipedia first to get the idea, but I’m guessing I can just jump right into this book and not be lost.

In no particular order:

The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
Prince of Nothing - R Scott Bakker
Kingdom of the Serpent - Mark Chadbourn
The Left Hand of God - Paul Hoffman
The Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
The Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson + Books by Ian C Esslemont in the same series
The Wall of Night - Helen Lowe
Sandman Slim - Richard Kadrey
The Nightangle Trilogy - Brent Weeks
Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson
Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy
The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind

*A Song of Ice and Fire - George R R Martin
I’m sure i’ve forgotten a few from chaning to ebooks…

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

Me too.

I went to my local bookstore and they only had one Gemmel book, White Wolf but I got it. I’m assuming he doesn’t have this as a series…I mean where you need to read book one first sort of thing. Sure I’ll check on wikipedia first to get the idea, but I’m guessing I can just jump right into this book and not be lost.
[/quote]

Most of the Drenai Saga are stand alone books. White Wolf is a good read.

Thanks! That’s good to know.

That was another thing I wanted to say: That I like heroic fantasy without boatloads of characters and not one that feels it always needs to be a trilogy or even more than 3 books.

Nards chk this/these books out

The Book I just purchased by the Author Chris Wraight is Swords of the Emperor. (2 books plus 2 short stories)

Suprisingly a very good read so far. Most of the stuff by Black Library is mediocre at best but well I found a gem in this author. This book is tied to the Warhammer world but in how he writes if you knew nothing about the background he fills in the Backstory verywell. Good character development as well.

The books on their own are called: Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance

Hope this helps.

BTW how you like White Wolf so far?

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

Me too.

[/quote]

Most of the Drenai Saga are stand alone books. White Wolf is a good read.

[/quote]

Everything you say you say about Gemmel is bang on dude. My favorite swords n’ shit author by far.

There was a Dragon Gate series I read years ago that was really good. The good guy was named Haplo. Can’t remember the author though.