Fantasy Book Recommendation

I am going to stop by the bookstore and pick up Arnie’s new book and a Fantasy book as well. I’ve only read a few so far, the Game of Thones and The Wheel of Time series. Loved both of them.

I was looking for one that maybe connects with my old Dungeons and Dragons addiction when I was a kid. A book that is adult-centered, but also includes monsters and magic.

Thanks for any suggestions

Don’t have any suggestions myself but I’m interested to hear some :slight_smile:

Joe Abercrombie.

Very adult, bit light on dungeons, but there are lots of monsters.

If you find out who the monsters really are, PM me.

Here’s a pretty cool book series:

The trilogy is all i’ve read, can’t comment on the others.

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss is a great read (only 2 of 3 out so far) if you like aSoIaF and WoT.

The Dagger and Coin series by Daniel Abraham is another.

I’m reading The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie at the moment and can agree with Orion, it seems great so far.

Terry Brooks’ word and the void trilogy is good
Brent Weeks’ night angel saga or his new light bringer series, night angel is my favourite trilogy ever, its awesome.
Peter V. Brett’s the painted man (demon war saga)

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:
I am going to stop by the bookstore and pick up Arnie’s new book and a Fantasy book as well. I’ve only read a few so far, the Game of Thones and The Wheel of Time series. Loved both of them.

I was looking for one that maybe connects with my old Dungeons and Dragons addiction when I was a kid. A book that is adult-centered, but also includes monsters and magic.

Thanks for any suggestions[/quote]
How about the New York Times?

If you are into D&D, you should check out the Forgotten Realms (a campaign setting in D&D) novels. The Elminster series is good, as are the Drizzt ones. Among the newer ones that are good are the War of the Spider Queen series, the Haunted Lands trilogy, and the Erevis Cale novels.

Pendragon is a very good book series. Not necessarily monsters and stuff, but I’d imagine you would enjoy it.

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
If you are into D&D, you should check out the Forgotten Realms (a campaign setting in D&D) novels. The Elminster series is good, as are the Drizzt ones. Among the newer ones that are good are the War of the Spider Queen series, the Haunted Lands trilogy, and the Erevis Cale novels.[/quote]

House D’Urden for life!

Stephen King’s Dark Tower is prob worthwhile.

And despite being only 1.5 books in, I’m pretty much ready to put Games of Thrones way up there with Tolkien’s LOTR.

I cannot even touch the darkelves and fireballs and shiny knights of prophecy stuff.

The last good fantasy I recently read was D. Abraham’s ‘The Long Price Quartet’, although I still have to buy the last one. Nice books, non-fairy-prancy believable, consistent world and characters.
Warning: At best homoeopathic dosages of swordplay.

I heard ‘the Witcher’ books (Sapkowski) were being published in English.
Fantastic series, clear recommendation, although slavic languages aren’t easy to translate into english.
The first books establish the main character and the world via short stories over several years, then shit hits the fan and a big plot unfolds.

‘The Steel Remains’ by Richard Morgan, much recommended by some was tossed into a corner after 100 or so pages.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
I cannot even touch the darkelves and fireballs and shiny knights of prophecy stuff.

The last good fantasy I recently read was D. Abraham’s ‘The Long Price Quartet’, although I still have to buy the last one. Nice books, non-fairy-prancy believable, consistent world and characters.
Warning: At best homoeopathic dosages of swordplay.

I heard ‘the Witcher’ books (Sapkowski) were being published in English.
Fantastic series, clear recommendation, although slavic languages aren’t easy to translate into english.
The first books establish the main character and the world via short stories over several years, then shit hits the fan and a big plot unfolds.

‘The Steel Remains’ by Richard Morgan, much recommended by some was tossed into a corner after 100 or so pages.
[/quote]

Fucking homophobe…

Just because he is cocksuckingly inclined…

Still a badass.

Also, The Witcher series is very much recommended, if only to get you to play The Witcher 2.

You know you want to.

I would suggest “Magician: Apprentice” and “Magician: Master”, by Raymond E. Feist. Anything by that author, now that I think about it.

Oh! And The Demonwars Sagas, by R.A. Salvatore (“The Demon Awakens”, “The Demon Spirit”, “The Demon Apostle”, “Mortalis”, “Ascendance”, “Transcendence”, “Immortalis”).

[quote]orion wrote:
Fucking homophobe…

Just because he is cocksuckingly inclined…

Still a badass.

Also, The Witcher series is very much recommended, if only to get you to play The Witcher 2.

You know you want to. [/quote]

Hmm, my favorite pseudo-history book was/is “der König von Assur” - that’s as gay as it gets.
Fantastic book if you can cope with a ‘hero’ who tortures and rapes and who’s ‘journey’ is essentially about learning to embrace the good cock.

To be honest, this modern depiction of homosexuality was kind of a deal breaker with ‘the Steel Remains’, completely ridiculous.

go to this site for free library and pieces of new releases by authors such as
Piers Anthony-the Zanth series
Andre Norton-so damn many good ones
L. Sprague deCamp-Enchanter series
Sarah Hoyt-Shapeshifter series

some of my favorite authors. when I see one of their books at the library I don’t even bother reading the dust jacket. just grab it
Simon R. Green-Nightside series-the Forest Kingdom
Jim Butcher-the Dresden Chronicles-the Codex Alera
Terry Goodkind-Sword of Truth series
Naomi Novik-Temeraire series-the Napoleonic Wars fought with dragons

Kevin Hearne-the Iron Druid series-clip from amazon;
Atticus Oâ??Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years oldâ??when in actuality, heâ??s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.
Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and heâ??s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his powerâ??plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irishâ??to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

this man died in 09 so sadly no more from him
David Eddings-start at the Pawn of Prophecy and just keep going

A song of fire & ice by George R.R. Martin
Malazan Book of the fallen by Steve Erikson
Black Company by Glen Cook
Conan the Barbarian by Robert E. Howard

The Way of Kings is a pretty good book

If you like your fantasy with lots of characters and very detailed then The Chronicles of Malazan by Steven Erikson is like that.
I read the first book but it was a little too detaled and complex for me.

I also recommend The Name of the Wind…the author’s only on book 2 of the 3 so you don’t need to catch up much, same for The Way of Kings, only book one is out now, and in paperback.

Any one have any books that has a badass Viking like main charterer, like Conan? I read all the Conan books.