T Nation

Family Resistance to Joining the Cdn Forces?

I appreciate feedback from those who’ve served in the Canadian Forces (or their respective nations’ Service).

I have been considering joining the Canadian Forces for several months now. I push the thought to the side and try to focus on other things, but it keeps coming right back to front and center of my mind. It feels like my “next step”, the next stage in my life.

Maybe it’s subconscious imprinting from years in Scouts and biathlon, with schools in proximity to CFB Griesbach in Edmonton, combined with a general disgust for the lack of discipline and morality in our Western societies.

A craving for an environment of discipline, standards, and tradition where a person’s value isn’t determined by how much they drink, the car they drive, and where “twittering” every detail of your narcissistic personal life would be considered shameful.

Whenever I’ve talked to CF recruiters, I tell them about my education and background (Bachelor of Phys Ed: Maj. Sport Performance, competitive biathlon) and the few who I’ve talked to all immediately say I’d be streamed towards an Officer in the Infantry.

Problem #1? Guilty conscience. I’ve always been terrible at AirSoft and Paintball, and I don’t even hunt. I’d like to, I’ve even tried to make myself hunt, but when I’m out there with the rifle in my hands I think, “God I hope I don’t find anything”.

B/c then I’d have to shoot the poor thing, or in the case of war games - my friend or family member. Maybe if my opponent were a scumbag fundamentalist I would feel differently about it. Maybe basic would kick that “pussydom” right out of my conscience and thereafter it would be a non-issue.

These are the things I need to know.

Problem #2? The MAJOR problem? Family resistance. My father had relatives severely injured in WW2 and from a young age told all of us “do not even THINK about joining the army,” and my mother? This is where advice from those who’d been there would help.

Most peoples’ mothers are going to be “worried sick” if their son is ever deployed. My mother has a nervous disorder and even telling her I was considering joining the Reserves (who cannot be deployed without consent) she was up two nights worrying.

For her, “worried sick” is not an exaggeration. When she worries about something, even minor, she can break out in shingles and fever blisters.

It doesn’t help that every other week the news plasters our papers and screens with the faces of more Canadians coming home from Kabul and Kandahar in pine boxes draped in the flag.

I’ve told her that there are non-combat positions I could shoot for such as SARTECH (I’m pretty damn close to their fitness standards right now) or artillery, or that I could apply for the Navy or Air Force who have a casualty rate close to most “normal” jobs.

There are other issues as well, but I would prefer to discuss them with people who’ve served in the CF over PM rather than a public forum.

Thanks in advance,

ElbowStrike

I think the first thing you should come to terms with i.e. get over is that you’ll possibly be able to avoid combat as a young Army officer.

At least do a lot more research into officer career paths and what each job entails. For instance, I’d reexamine your classification of artillery as non-combat!

Best of luck to you.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
For instance, I’d reexamine your classification of artillery as non-combat!

Best of luck to you. [/quote]

Hahaha! Good point!

I mean artillery being non-combat in that it’s a lot harder for the “Fundamentalist Religious Extremist Insurgents” to shoot back. But yeah, you’re right.

Thanks!

ElbowStrike