False Grip / Full Grip

Hey All

Just found out that my fed WNPF, has deemed false grip in the bench illegal. This is on the heels of my meet which is coming up on June 8. Everything I do is basically with a thumbless grip, Bench, chins, OH Press and Squat are all done with a false grip…even when I DL dbl overhand its with a hook grip.

I dont know if it is bro science or not as I do not have scientific data to back it up but my shoulders and wrist feel more comfortable and I dont have any pain. When I was benching full grip a few years ago I had issues with the bar rolling back on to my fingers causing stress on my wrists and not being able to push through the wrists.

I did pin presses today, and went half false and half full grip with my sets…I dont fucking like full grip…so suffice to say Im concerned.

Any tips or info would be appreciated.

Seems like some heavy nitpicking to me by the WNPF. It may sound ridiculous but you might try some heavy meditation and visualization seeing yourself using a full grip to help. If you program your mind and see yourself doing the lift successfully you might have a better chance. I use this technique whenever I attempt new PRs or do something new. Usually done before sleeping helps reprogram my thinking and get me used to an idea. Also, practice as much as possible with light weight before the meet.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
Seems like some heavy nitpicking to me by the WNPF. It may sound ridiculous but you might try some heavy meditation and visualization seeing yourself using a full grip to help. If you program your mind and see yourself doing the lift successfully you might have a better chance. I use this technique whenever I attempt new PRs or do something new. Usually done before sleeping helps reprogram my thinking and get me used to an idea. Also, practice as much as possible with light weight before the meet.[/quote]

Thanks GV, I guess it may be a safety issue…but man, Im pretty bummed. I actually do some visulation techniques and they are helpful, so I will definitely add this movement to my queue…thanks!

USAPL is full grip as well. I still do most of my other movements with a false grip, but I bench full grip now because of it. I still don’t like it as much, but I don’t really think its costing me any pounds. If you think its helping your joints, I’d train false grip until a week or two before the meet. I don’t think switching is all that big of a deal and a week or two should be enough to get used to it.

I used to use a thumbless grip on bench, but stopped when I realised that many federations don’t allow it; in fact, while it did feel good at the time, I have to say that a full grip allows much better tension throughout the whole body. However, it does seem that it is very hard to get a poor wrist position with a thumbless grip, and an effort must be made when using the full grip to ensure that the weight is taken by the hands and not by the wrists bending back and collapsing. Maybe this is why people say it can alleviate pain in that area to go thumbless.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
USAPL is full grip as well. I still do most of my other movements with a false grip, but I bench full grip now because of it. I still don’t like it as much, but I don’t really think its costing me any pounds. If you think its helping your joints, I’d train false grip until a week or two before the meet. I don’t think switching is all that big of a deal and a week or two should be enough to get used to it.[/quote]

Thanks Jack…I am concerned that I may lose a few lbs because of it, Its only 5 weeks away, so little by little I will introduce it…not happy about it.

[quote]halcj wrote:
I used to use a thumbless grip on bench, but stopped when I realised that many federations don’t allow it; in fact, while it did feel good at the time, I have to say that a full grip allows much better tension throughout the whole body. However, it does seem that it is very hard to get a poor wrist position with a thumbless grip, and an effort must be made when using the full grip to ensure that the weight is taken by the hands and not by the wrists bending back and collapsing. Maybe this is why people say it can alleviate pain in that area to go thumbless.

[/quote]

Exactly why I gravitated towards the thumbless, grip I believe I am going to have to almost over compensate with regards to concentration of bar placement on the hand.

With regard to maintaining numbers with the different grip, aside from practising often, one thing that could help is to narrow your grip by half an inch or so - thumbless grip pressing seems to use slightly more triceps strength from what I’ve felt, so it could be easier to adjust.
Good luck

Interesting…I generally have a pretty close grip to begin with, pinkies on the rings. Triceps strength is a strong point for me so this makes me even more apprehensive lol!

Yeah from what I know, thumbless is definitely a lot easier on the shoulders and chest. It changes which muscles are used pretty significantly, takes the tension away from where your pec meets your shoulder and places it on your triceps. Unfortunately, that probably means your bench is going to take a little bit of a hit when you switch… I know mine did, until I adjusted. But maybe not.

You should definitely try and work up moderately heavy in the next couple days with a full grip, and see what you can hit. Maybe you will be surprised, and find that even if it isn’t comfortable, you are just as strong with the full grip. If not, I would just suggest you switch over asap and maybe keep the training a little lighter than usual to keep your wrists and shoulders healthy. Definitely not ideal, but if you are weaker with a full grip, than the only two priorities are 1) get as much practice with it as you can before the meet and 2) don’t injure yourself in the process.

I really have no choice at this point, my programming has touch and go benching for 4 reps on Wed. Generally I can eek out 4 to 5 reps at 315 touch and go…hopefully it wont effect me much, but I know the main reason for switching is what you mentioned…the pressure is less on the shoulder.

a thumbless grip allows you to keep the bar more on the “stump” of your wrist correct? once you more the thumb around the bar with a normal grip, it looks like the pressure would transfer more towards the thumb area and away from directly under the wrists.

I wonder if you could do a thumb under the bar type of grip, that wouldn’t change the mechanics much

the rulebook says:
An overhand or reverse grip must be taken during the bench press (34? maximum) your index finger can be one inch outside the rings. False grips are no longer allowed but the WNPF/WNPF LIFETIME a positive grip should be used where your thumbs are completely wrapped around the bar. BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2013 ALL LIFTERS MUST BENCH WITH A POSITIVE GRIP, MEANING YOUR THUMB MUST BE PLACED AROUND THE BAR. FALSE GRIPS WILL NO LONGER BE ALLOWED.

I wonder if you could get away with a thumbs pointing at each other type of grip, or a grip like that but with them wrapped around the bar slightly. I think you’d be able to keep the same wrist position doing that.

Another minor thing is to grip with your hands slightly rotated inwards, trying to pull your thumb round as far as possible; this should again help you to keep the weight on the ‘heel’ of your palm. Again, good luck.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
the rulebook says:
An overhand or reverse grip must be taken during the bench press (34? maximum) your index finger can be one inch outside the rings. False grips are no longer allowed but the WNPF/WNPF LIFETIME a positive grip should be used where your thumbs are completely wrapped around the bar. BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2013 ALL LIFTERS MUST BENCH WITH A POSITIVE GRIP, MEANING YOUR THUMB MUST BE PLACED AROUND THE BAR. FALSE GRIPS WILL NO LONGER BE ALLOWED.

I wonder if you could get away with a thumbs pointing at each other type of grip, or a grip like that but with them wrapped around the bar slightly. I think you’d be able to keep the same wrist position doing that. [/quote]

I get a feeling they are going to be extremely anal about this…

[quote]halcj wrote:
Another minor thing is to grip with your hands slightly rotated inwards, trying to pull your thumb round as far as possible; this should again help you to keep the weight on the ‘heel’ of your palm. Again, good luck.[/quote]

Thanks man, Ill give it a shot tomorrow.

quick update guys, full grip benched today and I basically overreacted, hit 315x4 touch and go, and while I felt a bit more pressure on my wrists I squeezed the fuck outta the bar and actually used your idea Halcj and I felt it helped. So maybe some getting used too but I dont think it will set me back too much…I hope.

that’s great man. keep us posted