Falling Forward on Squats

It’s an issue that I noticed lately… It’s really rare that I terminate a squat set because my legs gave out, it’s always me falling forward that makes me stop. I heard that it’s because of ab weakness. Is it true, and what should I do to cure this issue?

Logic would suggest making your abs stronger

What if I am already working my abs?

Than its your form

1 Like

My form is good for most of my reps, it only gets shit in the last 2-3 reps, that’s where the falling forward happens

Also strengthen your mid/upper back and your glutes. They work with your abs to keep you upright.

Additionally, make your legs stronger so you can squat Down, instead of leaning forward.

Keep your chest up high, and your knees Out, so you can get down, “between” your legs.

Possibly Highly Controversial!
Try some squats with the bar held in your elbows, Zercher Style. With the bar held that way, leaning forward makes it really, really hard. Knees out, chest up, mid section tight all happens naturally, without having to think about what to do.

4 Likes

Zerchers and front squats would work well I think. Thanks mate

You may find that the bar is a lot more forward than you think and you don’t see the impact until you fatigue a little.

Post a video.

1 Like

Bit late but here are a couple of things:

Form breaks down at higher percentages or as you become fatigued and near failure. It’s how you battle to maintain perfect form on every rep from warm up to true 1rm that matters.

This is likely a technique issue. Exactly what I don’t know (vid pls) but here’s some common ones:

• Not setting up as tight and with as vertical a back angle as possible.

• Descending by pushing hips excessively back or not opening up at the hips sufficiently to allow your torso to drop between your legs to stay upright

• Not maintaining Vertical Bar Path and upright as possible torso angle in essence allowing yourself to lean forward

• Losing tightness out of the hole which lets the weight bend you over. Can occur because you are dropping too fast and unable to maintain tightness at that speed or the rebound jars you.

This could be a back/core issue where the combined forces of your various muscles including your spinal erectors is unable to prevent you bending over. If you squat properly it should be your legs and hips limiting you.

Also worth considering is that your legs, quads specifically are weak and thus instead of maintaing a more vertical torso position, which shifts and shares load between legs and back, your body leans over shifting the load onto your relatively stronger back and away from your quads.

1 Like

Front squats are definetly cool. Here’s a strong dude Using the Front squat, staying upright, but not trying to be the world champ of front squats.

This.

If you are activating your hips properly and your ass is still rising, it’s the quads that are weak. The stronger muscle(s) will always attempt to take over. Your body is trying to get you into a position where you rely on the hinge to get the weight up once your quads begin to give out.

(This is why I keep saying start out with a bro split but no one listens lol.)

2 Likes

Giving calfs and front delts their own day don’t help squat!

1 Like

I think this is mostly a branding problem. If you started calling it a Power Split or a Functional Split it would be all over the internet. You could say it is the best beginner program ever, the best way to build a muscle base for future strength development and the best way left to cash in on lifting weights.

#functionalsplit
#maxpower
#powersauce
#mcbain

4 Likes

Don’t underestimate the power of calves mane

But srsly probably just chuck in dedicated quad work or variations to that effect

1 Like

Just don’t call it Power-Building!

My mind only thinks in terms of gallon jugs of water and mirror flexing.

How about Brobuilding?

“I Build the Bro, You get the Hoes!”

1 Like

All clients must be present with a fresh haircut for each training session.

1 Like

“Strap yourself in and feel the Gs”

1 Like

I’d say without a video it’s hard to tell what it is.

Falling forward with a weak upper back looks a lot different than falling forward from weak quads.

I’ve always had weak quads compared to my glutes ( probably because I sprinted a lot since I was a kid) so that’s probably the case. Thanks man.