Falling Forward In The Squat

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
… As an added bonus you could video tape this and we could hear your training partners yelling ‘elbows forward’ and ‘head back’ in those crazy accents

hope this helped.[/quote]

Will we get subtitles for the translation?

If correcting it is a big issue for you then you could do high bar squat stance goodmornings, abb work, stiff leg deadlifts, hyper extensions etc.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
A repost from FI: (just looking for some more ideas here)

I’m not sure where the problem stems from, but it has become really prevalent when squatting normally. My upper back seems to be dropping very easily, even with weights I should be able to easily handle.

Recently I’ve been doing alot more work on box squats and I think they’re one of the main causes to my new problem. My form’s pretty brutal off them. I almost ALWAYs hit the box and sit dead up right and have to let the weight come forward before I can squat it back up (forming a slight rock, I hesitate to post this vid cos it’s UGLY - Low Box Squat 190x1 - near miss - YouTube ).

Outside of addressing this by working harder on my box squat and normal squat technique, what exercises can I do to improve the muscles that are weak?

SSB squats would be cool, but I don’t have access to a bar. I’m thinking perhaps power shrugs? I already do alot of face pulls, bent over lateral raises, chest supported rows and dumbbell powercleans so I’m looking more towards “big” heavy exercises that I can load a lot of weight up on and hit hard.

And suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

Arent dumbbell powercleans supposed to be really dangerous for the shoulders?

As to falling foreward in the squat, theres already a ton of great advice in this thread, but I’ll try throwing some ideas in the ring:

The first thing that comes to mind is that people tend to fall foreward as soon as the weight gets too heavy; body does it as a protective mechanism. So it could just be a matter of strengthening the muscles that relate to where in the squat you fall foreward (bottom position = glutes, mid position = hamstrings, etc).

Also, the body tends to follow the head. If you’re focused in front of you (as tends to happen if you’re watching yourself in a mirror), the head goes foreward and the body goes with it. Also, I’ve found most people have really tight SCMs. Some SCM stretches could help.

Another issue could be glute flexibilty. Inflexible glutes could lead to a rounding of the lumbar spine, resulting in the body trying to dump the weight to protect it. Perhaps glute/piriformis stretches?

Just some thoughts

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:

Arent dumbbell powercleans supposed to be really dangerous for the shoulders?

[/quote]

So is overhead pressing supermodels bowling ball style but id still try to get that in as much as possible.

There’s really way too many good posts here to quote individually, so once again I’m gonna thank everyone collectively!!

I made some adjustments today for my speed squats and it made a world of different.

I took my stance out much wider (think near multiply width). Really exaggerated sitting back and made sure to keep as tight as possible all the way to, and on, the box. I was springing up super quick. I worked up to 160kg for a pretty easy single after about 14 prior sets so I was suitably impressed.

Modified my sumo stance a bit today too. Worked really hard on pulling my hips down and arching my upper back. It got me way close to the bar and made the lifts so much easier.

Of course I did tear a hamstring in the process… but I’ve got two. So not to worry!! (It was a pretty mild tear, no pain, full ROM still and I can walk without a problem)

i agree with redroast about front squats, it forces you to keep up straight. Which will most likely carry over to regular squats.

You could replace box squats with suspended chain squats. The same principle and less possiblity to injure the low back.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
A repost from FI: (just looking for some more ideas here)

I’m not sure where the problem stems from, but it has become really prevalent when squatting normally. My upper back seems to be dropping very easily, even with weights I should be able to easily handle.

Recently I’ve been doing alot more work on box squats and I think they’re one of the main causes to my new problem. My form’s pretty brutal off them. I almost ALWAYs hit the box and sit dead up right and have to let the weight come forward before I can squat it back up (forming a slight rock, I hesitate to post this vid cos it’s UGLY - Low Box Squat 190x1 - near miss - YouTube ).

Outside of addressing this by working harder on my box squat and normal squat technique, what exercises can I do to improve the muscles that are weak?

SSB squats would be cool, but I don’t have access to a bar. I’m thinking perhaps power shrugs? I already do alot of face pulls, bent over lateral raises, chest supported rows and dumbbell powercleans so I’m looking more towards “big” heavy exercises that I can load a lot of weight up on and hit hard.

And suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

I would do Smolov a couple of times for the frontsquat, that’s what helped me. Stronger quads can fix this problem.

Wow… old school post.

I pretty much solved this problem thru a stronger upper back and stronger abs.

lots of great information in this thread.
hanley-what did you do to increase upper back and ab strength?
so far i am only doing rows and dl’s and for abs the occasional plank or leg raises.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
hockechamp14 wrote:
Hanley, when do you decide when to squat in chucks and when to throw on your adistars? Could your changing footwear create any problems?

Could hip flexibility be a problem when you don’t have heel lifts like with chucks?

The Chucks go on for wide work. Using the Adistar’s when I’m that wide makes me feel like my hips will explode.

I can actually get below par. with my chucks in a close stance, Itested yesterday, so I don’t tihnk flexibility is THAT much of a problem. It might be in part tho.

As for why I’m not ditching the box squats… they’re making me stronger. Just hurting my form a bit![/quote]

Can’t you get stronger off the box? That would solve both technique and strength issues.

I’ve been on the box before and looking back I don’t understand how popular it is. Squatting free is 10x easier to do properly and probably safer too.

Edit: Crap, I read through the thread and it seems like this is an old topic.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
lots of great information in this thread.
hanley-what did you do to increase upper back and ab strength?
so far i am only doing rows and dl’s and for abs the occasional plank or leg raises.[/quote]

Upper back = lots of shrugs, REALY pushing them hard. Seated dumbbell powercleans, chest supported rows and face pulls. I basically just pushed as hard as possible on these to get stronger.

Abs = Beltless deadlifts and high rep squats. Lots of hanging leg raises, trying to get my legs as high as possible and lots of pulldown abs. Again pushing as hard as possible to get stronger on those movements.

I really pushed all my accessory work this time around and it really helped.