Falling Back Onto the Mat

Deload week sucks. Happily I had vacation scheduled. I spent the week being lazy and eating crap that isn’t good for me. Tomorrow it’s back to real fun.

Today’s workout 5/3/1 BBB 3 month challenge 2nd cycle
Overhead Press 5 @ 90 lbs; 5 @ 100 lbs; 5 @ 115 Lbs (this was my 1 rep max July of 2011)
Bench Press 5 x10 @ 120 Lbs
Pull Ups (band assisted) 3x10
Dips 15
Bench Knees to elbows 2x10

No Judo tonight weather is playing havoc with my sinuses.

Tusday 3/20
Deadlift 5 @ 170 Lbs/ 5 @ 200 Lbs/ 5 @ 225 Lbs
Squats 4x10 @ 145 Lbs. (started cramping in my left thigh so didn’t finish the 5th set.) Turns out I’ve got the flu.

Thur 3/22
Today’s workout Bench Press 5 @ 135 Lbs/ 5 @ 155 Lbs/ 5 @ 175 Lbs
Overhead Press 4x10 @ 80 Lbs (Not too sure what was going on today, couldn’t even get the weight off the rack for the 5th set. Maybe I haven’t completely recovered from the flu?)

Chin ups 10

How does the weight training work with the judo? Does the aerobic work of judo interfere with strength gains, or does it come out OK?

Hey Cav, the aerobic output for Judo is fairly moderate with short bursts of very intense work. I haven’t really noticed a trade off of strength for endurance. Being defensive on the ground is probably the most aerobically taxing portion, but if I’m never pinned (keep trying for that) I don’t have to worry about it.

Today’s workout 3/23
Squats 5 @ 160 lbs/ 5 @ 185 lbs/ 5 @ 210 lbs.
Squats 3x10 @ 160 lbs (supposed to be 5 sets but I was working with my son on his squat form and ran out of time)

nice work- does your boy play judo too?

our two year old tries to wrestle every day with me

Sadly no. He’s with me temporarily while waiting to enter the Navy.

Today’s workout 3/26
Overhead Press 3 @ 95 Lbs/ 3 @ 110 Lbs/ 3 @ 120 Lbs
Bench Press 5 x 10 @ 120 Lbs
15 Chins
15 Dips
15 Hanging Knees to Elbows.

Judo 1.5 hours of working with 2 students on their next test. I spent most of the time practicing falling.

[quote]Co tenBroek wrote:
Judo 1.5 hours of working with 2 students on their next test. I spent most of the time practicing falling.[/quote]

Ouch.

What belt is that in your avatar - looks blue?

That’s from a local competition, not my rank. I hold a sankyu (brown belt). In competition one person wears a blue gi or belt and the other wears a white gi or belt.

Today’s workout:
Dead lifts 3 @ 185 Lbs/ 3 @ 210 Lbs 3 @ 235 Lbs.
Was sore after last night’s Judo so no squats today. Did planks instead of walkouts.

Today’s Judo class 3/28
Spent a lot of time working with the young kids on Osoto Gari and Ipon Seoi Nage. Then worked with 2 adults on their test material. I’m beginning to think maybe I should pursue a coaching certification.

Well, I spent a few years learning my job, showing it to other people and really liking it, then I saw some friends teaching in college and thought “Cool! I wanna do that!” Now teaching professionally and having a blast . . .

Today’s Workout 3/29
Bench Press 3 @ 145 Lbs/ 3 @ 165 Lbs/ 3 @ 185 Lbs
Overhead Press 5 x 10 @ 80 lbs (boy did that hurt)
Chin ups 5/4/5/4/2 (I mix my grip up the 4’s are wide grip Pull ups)
crunches 90.

Cav, do you teach at a university?

Community college, they only offer 2 yr programs. Selling point is cheaper than State U, spend 2 yrs here, then 2 yrs there for savings. Actually, the courses here are pretty good and rigorous, can get a lot just in 2 yrs.

If OH Press is hurting, have you experimented with hand placement on bar?

I should have been more specific, the pain was grinding out reps 47, 48, 49 and 50.

[quote]Co tenBroek wrote:
I should have been more specific, the pain was grinding out reps 47, 48, 49 and 50.[/quote]

If you can go 46 reps without pain, you’re doing OK. As Emily Litella would say, “Never mind”.

That sounds like a lot of reps of the same weight for a pushing exercise. Are you doing the Boring But Big program?

Yeaup. Saw the Challenge article as I was ending my most recent cycle of 531, said what have I got to loose? So I’m giving that a go. So far I’m having a blast. I’m considering next time continuing BBB and adding more of the bodyweight work.