Falconry

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Christ, between the dogs, badass (wimpy) cat, and now Falcons…

You will be the BEASTMASTER.

I hate you so much right now.

[/quote]

Scuse’ me…umm, I’m built way better than that dude! lol[/quote]

Ok… he’s smaller. But, the guy obviously shaves, so it makes his bird look that much more impressive…

[quote]NAUn wrote:

I’m serious. You could not wipe the shit eating grin off my face. Loved it. I’m probably going to do the apprenticeship, take the exams, get the permits and get my own bird. Here’s a nice action shot of one coming in to land on my glove. Fucking amazing. [/quote]

Awesome pictures, BG. If you get one of these, where do you keep it? How much attention do they need? Do you basically pay for someone to take proper care of it, and go amuse yourself with it whenever you see fit? [/quote]

Their needs vary depending on whether they are in hunting season or not, but they do require daily maintenance. From what I understand, their weight also requires daily management. You have to weigh them daily and adjust their intake accordingly. We’re talking ounces in weight being the difference between healthy or not (they weigh very little). Weight is also important to keep them captive because they only see you as an easy food source; there is no affection and they are not “tame”. So, you keep em slightly hungry, but healthy. Too well fed, and they can fly off because they don’t “need” you. The lynchpin of the training is food. Food is the entire basis for the relationship between bird and handler.

I’m still in my early research but from what I’ve read you’re looking at an 8x8x12 enclosure for housing. That’s not a problem for me (I have plenty of land). It’s a commitment whether in hunting season or not, but I’m already committed to maintaining dogs, so a bird won’t be a biggie to add to the daily routine.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Christ, between the dogs, badass (wimpy) cat, and now Falcons…

You will be the BEASTMASTER.

I hate you so much right now.

[/quote]

Scuse’ me…umm, I’m built way better than that dude! lol[/quote]

Ok… he’s smaller. But, the guy obviously shaves, so it makes his bird look that much more impressive… [/quote]

<---------- shaves

Do NOT make me pose with a sneaker bro!

My friends dad has been into this since he was a teen and recently got a part-time job at an airport. Works for a few hours 3x a week in the morning keeping other birds away and makes around $35,000. Not bad a for a hobby.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
I think it’d be cool to own one of those majestic creatures, and then name it something very pedestrian…

Guy: “Hey man, beautiful bird! So fearsome, yet so noble. What’s his name?”

You: “Steve”

Guy: WTF?[/quote]

They use falcons on the roof of our building as a means to scare away pigeons and the like. It just sits on the roof like a badass for an hour and then goes away. I met the guy once as he was taking it up the stairs and after much adoration of the falcon I asked what it’s name was and he said “Max…”

“as in Mad Max?” I grinned

“ahuhuhuhhuhuhu”

Very cool, birds of prey are some of the most badass animals. post updates

If I were ever to think of considering of possibly taking up a hobby it would be this for its “WTF really you do falconry?!?!!” thing.

Hot and cold running chicks fo sho!

Another good shot of the bird.

[quote]Nards wrote:
If I were ever to think of considering of possibly taking up a hobby it would be this for its “WTF really you do falconry?!?!!” thing.

Hot and cold running chicks fo sho![/quote]

I think you’re onto something here.

Hot chick: “So what kind of hobbies are you into?”

Me: “oh, lots of things. But my newest hobby is falconry.”

Hot chick: “what’s that?”

Me: “well, you hunt small game using a bird of prey like a hawk or falcon.”

Hot chick: “really? wow.”

Me: “Yup, would you like to go back to my place and see my bird?”

Brilliant!

[quote]Nards wrote:

Hot and cold running chicks fo sho![/quote]

I think you’re onto something here.

Hot chick: “So what kind of hobbies are you into?”

Me: “oh, lots of things. But my newest hobby is falconry.”

Hot chick: “what’s that?”

Me: “well, you hunt small game using a bird of prey like a hawk or falcon.”

Hot chick: “really? wow.”

Me: “Yup, would you like to go back to my place and see my bird?”

Brilliant![/quote]

So now you’ve finally found another living creature that actually gets along with you… And there you are thinking of cheating on it.

What is wrong with you…

:slight_smile:

Expect the bodyguard to proudly post pics of a female (hopefully?) falcon in the “sexy wives/gf” thread in SAMA soon, harhar.

Just curious…what’s the point? Are there like competitions for this or is it just something to do as a hobby?

And what kind of game do they normally catch?

Bad ass!

you said “trap or purchase a bird”??? People actually trap wild birds and train them? Thats intense.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Just curious…what’s the point? Are there like competitions for this or is it just something to do as a hobby?

[/quote]

Well, I guess the point might be lost if you’re not into working with animals in the manner I do. I “hunt” for instance, but I “hunt” with dogs. We hunt small game with terriers, who are expected to go down the hole and engage the game until we dig to them and, I hunt wild boar with pitbulls and other breeds. Both types of hunting require a symbiotic relationship between man and dog.

Falconry is also hunting. You’re using the bird to hunt small game like pheasant, rabbits, etc. In Mongolia I believe, they take larger game like deer with golden eagles.

Hiding in a tree waiting to ambush bambi with a gun is not my thing; by that measure, I am no “hunter”. The way I hunt, I consider very “primal” and sporting. It’s just something I enjoy. I like predators. I like working with them and I like preserving their instinct. I also like the game to have a sporting chance. When we hog hunt for instance, everyone - dog and man alike is in potential grave danger.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Bad ass!

you said “trap or purchase a bird”??? People actually trap wild birds and train them? Thats intense.[/quote]

Yup. I believe the norm is to trap your own bird. I’m still learning, but the instructor said trap and that’s what I’ve been reading. I say trap, assuming you have access. Where I’m at, we have everything from bald eagles to owls. The instructor told me we have red tail hawks here, among others, so that’s likely what I’d be dealing with. Still doing my homework but like I said, it’s something I wanted to do years ago and my initial research lead me to believe it would be too onerous, but I’m finding out it’s not so bad since you can keep and train a bird during your apprenticeship.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

So now you’ve finally found another living creature that actually gets along with you… [/quote]

In fairness, that might be premature :slight_smile: lol

Glad you’ve found a solution to your mouse problem…

[quote]gregron wrote:
Bad ass!

you said “trap or purchase a bird”??? People actually trap wild birds and train them? Thats intense.[/quote]

Yup. I believe the norm is to trap your own bird. I’m still learning, but the instructor said trap and that’s what I’ve been reading. I say trap, assuming you have access. Where I’m at, we have everything from bald eagles to owls. The instructor told me we have red tail hawks here, among others, so that’s likely what I’d be dealing with. Still doing my homework but like I said, it’s something I wanted to do years ago and my initial research lead me to believe it would be too onerous, but I’m finding out it’s not so bad since you can keep and train a bird during your apprenticeship. [/quote]

I’m no PETA-apologist, but that something about that just seems a little… off? Lol.

So, these birds are being caught out of the wild to fly in circles for you?

Out of genuine curiosity, how does a hawk benefit from this at all? Just trying to make sense of this.

EDIT: Post came off sounding snarky, NOT my intention. ^ They’re all legitimate questions.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[/quote]

Well, I guess the point might be lost if you’re not into working with animals in the manner I do. I “hunt” for instance, but I “hunt” with dogs. We hunt small game with terriers, who are expected to go down the hole and engage the game until we dig to them and, I hunt wild boar with pitbulls and other breeds. Both types of hunting require a symbiotic relationship between man and dog.

Falconry is also hunting. You’re using the bird to hunt small game like pheasant, rabbits, etc. In Mongolia I believe, they take larger game like deer with golden eagles.

Hiding in a tree waiting to ambush bambi with a gun is not my thing; by that measure, I am no “hunter”. The way I hunt, I consider very “primal” and sporting. It’s just something I enjoy. I like predators. I like working with them and I like preserving their instinct. I also like the game to have a sporting chance. When we hog hunt for instance, everyone - dog and man alike is in potential grave danger. [/quote]And just how big is a mongolian eagle? I would maybe let that bird live if it kills deer.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Bad ass!

Yup. I believe the norm is to trap your own bird. I’m still learning, but the instructor said trap and that’s what I’ve been reading. I say trap, assuming you have access. Where I’m at, we have everything from bald eagles to owls. The instructor told me we have red tail hawks here, among others, so that’s likely what I’d be dealing with. Still doing my homework but like I said, it’s something I wanted to do years ago and my initial research lead me to believe it would be too onerous, but I’m finding out it’s not so bad since you can keep and train a bird during your apprenticeship. [/quote]

That sounds like a great deal of work to cover up your poor wing shooting abilities…lol

Falconry is a lot of fucking work, but cool. I think most starter birds are American Kestrels or Red-tailed hawks. Id go with the red-tail the kestrels are tiny.

That’s a nice looking Harris’s hawk they are lettn you fly.