Fake News Makes You Smarter

or at least that’s what this survey says:

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/16/daily-show-fox-knowledge/

And here I thought it was all shits and giggles.

What if you listen to Limbaugh? He’s right up there near the top?

Surveys like this are biased in origin and in fact.

I’m really not that surprised. When you have to fit all of your stuff into a 30 minuet period with commercials, like the top raters do, you tend to give more pertinent info than the major new corps. The Major news stations like FOX spread it out, and no one watched the news all day long.

FOX and CNN are sensationalist garbage, and I hardly consider most of what they spew out news. Occasionally there is some actual news, but it’s far between throughout the day.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
What if you listen to Limbaugh? He’s right up there near the top?

Surveys like this are biased in origin and in fact.[/quote]

The Limbaugh stat does not surprise me that much really.

It’s probably less causation and more self selection. Why watch a comedy show if all the jokes are over your head?

[quote]etaco wrote:
It’s probably less causation and more self selection. Why watch a comedy show if all the jokes are over your head?[/quote]

Excellent! My thought exactly.

[quote]etaco wrote:
It’s probably less causation and more self selection. Why watch a comedy show if all the jokes are over your head?[/quote]

Precisely. A person already needs to understand the premise of the situation in order to “get” the humor.

One note: I don’t think this “study” means what the OP thinks it means. This doesn’t imply that watching fake news makes one smarter it just implies that people who tend to watch the news–in general–are more informed that the average.

None of these scores deveate significantly enough to pass that kind of judgement. And as always, no error was given so you cannot take these statistics seriously.

This study/poll is useless to me because I didn’t hear it from Jon Stewart. Therefore if I read it I might become stupider.

The fake news actually presents issues related to current events… and provides a counter to the official story, which people can then reconcile or compare to.

FOX generally doesn’t risk allowing it’s audience to hear about other viewpoints… preferring instead to directly deliver pre-made opinions. Anybody who chooses that mode of information gathering is stupid by definition.

Oh shut up, I’m just providing fake “news”…

[quote]Ren wrote:
or at least that’s what this survey says:

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/16/daily-show-fox-knowledge/

And here I thought it was all shits and giggles.[/quote]

ren,

I wanted to point out AGAIN how amusing it is to observe how FRIGHTENED you are by alternative viewpoints.

If your logic and truths are unassailable, why worry what anyone else watches?

Further, if your party is so intelligent, why do you have so much trouble winning Presidential elections, reading butterfly ballots, or putting together a coherent strategy?

I’d like to challenge everyone to do a little experiment.

Spend some time during the day, flipping back between Fox, cnn, msnbc, abc, nbc, and cbs.

Absorb a few newscycles of each.

Pay particular attention to stories about the Iraq War.

I’ve found (and I’d like you to confirm this) that I’ve never missed an important piece of news watching Fox.

However, I’ve missed PLENTY of stories watching the others.

Specifically, I’ve never missed a major negative story on Fox. However, the list of positive stories missed by the liberal leaning networks is astounding.

(I’d like you to do this experiment and save the “Jeffry/Jeffro only watches Fox” crap).

Let’s see if anyone else notices the same phenomena,

JeffR

Poor Jeff…
Don’t you see? These guys already have all the facts they need! They know that FOX is watched by more Americans than any other 24-hour cable news channel, and they know that most Americans are stupid and incapable of thinking for themselves. I mean, how much more obvious can it get? Two and two always equals “Bush is stupid.”

Now they have a “legitimate” Pew poll to tell them what they already knew before hand, so why should they take time to actually watch the channel? Don’t you know that it causes viewers to magically turn into brainless neocons?

Quit being foolish.

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
Poor Jeff…
Don’t you see? These guys already have all the facts they need! They know that FOX is watched by more Americans than any other 24-hour cable news channel, and they know that most Americans are stupid and incapable of thinking for themselves. I mean, how much more obvious can it get? Two and two always equals “Bush is stupid.”

Now they have a “legitimate” Pew poll to tell them what they already knew before hand, so why should they take time to actually watch the channel? Don’t you know that it causes viewers to magically turn into brainless neocons?

Quit being foolish.[/quote]

You know, I hate FOX.

I really, really hate watching right-wing football and getting the right-wing weather report.

After all, you ever notice on FOX that the “Patriots” always win their games, but somehow the “Redskins” never seem to do all that well? Coincidence?

And, when I get the weather report, the weathergirl always conveniently forgets to tell me how I should blame my crappy driving conditions on global warming.

Damn propaganda.

LOL @ the morons!