Faith Sharpens Faith (Talk, Prayer, Friendship, Interesting and Funny stuff)

I too have this inner battle between principalities that I find extremely real.

Usually it’s me taking in all the philosophies and rationalities of this material world, and it butting up against my raw unrelenting faith. And often times I find myself frustrated by just existing.

That’s what’s been going on for well over a year now. And it’s like I’ve been waking up irritated, and going to bed irritated.

Has anyone read the Untethered Soul? I wanted to read the copy my mom had, but she can’t seem to find it.

I’m well prepared for spoilers lol

I decided to start reading Unchristian instead. It’s a really good book.

Essentially, it highlights what people think about Christianity. Those who believe, and those who don’t. And why it actually should matter to those who Believe, what others think.

It’s not a conversion tactic type of book, but more of a book that helps provide tools for people who do Believe, to learn how to converse, and approach others who don’t believe, in everyday life and how to love and understand with no boundaries.

I’m starting from the beginning, just to read everything again and delve deeper.

I’ve also kind of been going back and forth with Ontological stuff as well as Theology. As of late I haven’t been, but I do like some aspects of Hugh Ross’s reports.

I don’t completely agree with everything he says, but I do find that Astrological research is very on par, when it comes to ponderings about the cosmos.
I mentioned somewhere above that I find Science and Believe to go hand in hand. However I don’t think science justifies, or is the cause for Believe. I think science is the evidence of God’s handiwork, but it shouldn’t be why I choose to have faith.

However, when i find myself conversing with another individual who’s very Science driven, I do like to match them in conversation, because I wish to understand them, as much as I’d wish for them to understand me, and so on and so forth.

But here’s a few videos from Mr. Ross

This is a good subject that some could really use. Unfortunately the people that could use it the most see no use in it at all.

Not too often, but often enough to be personally noteworthy I get people that want to “save” me. The presumption of what my spiritual condition or belief is what really gets on my nerves.

The best way I’ve found to handle this is to ask “How do you even know what I believe or what my purpose on earth is if you never even bothered to ask?”.

Cuz they never do.

1 Like

Oi. Tell me about it. Under the premise of the Bible, I observe way too many folks trying to do the same thing.

But I remember coming to a pretty sobering conclusion, and telling myself this: It never was, nor will it ever be, my responsibility to save someone.

But then I also told myself: It’s your responsibility to love and understand someone.

And it’s quite a let down to see folks literally switch those two around.

Hit the nail on the head with that one. I see too many people so ready to dictate instead of ready to ask. Ive had some wonderful discussions with other classmates in college. Ones that I felt we genuinely understood each other. And it just started by us asking the other. I’d much rather do that, than upset them by making feel like I know what’s best for them.

Hi everyone,

I am a Roman Catholic and I love our blessed Lord. I love reading your stories about your faith journeys. I wanted to share something that my Church participates in every year. It is called Exodus 90 and it is like Lent but on steroids. Throughout 90 days we commit to a deeper prayer life as well as give up several comforts of this life. It is a great opportunity to detach from the world and clear the mind of thoughtless things. It actually started on the 4th of January and ends on Easter but you can certainly start whenever. There are no sign ups or fees or anything, you can just do it. The things we give up are:

• Take short, cold showers.
  • Practice regular, intense exercise.
  • Get a full night’s sleep (at least seven hours is recommended).
  • Abstain from alcohol.
  • Abstain from desserts and sweets.
  • Abstain from eating between meals.
  • Abstain from soda or sweet drinks (white milk, black coffee, and black tea are permissible).
  • Abstain from television, movies, or televised sports.
  • Abstain from video games.
  • Abstain from non-essential material purchases.
  • Only listen to music that lifts the soul to God.
  • Only use the computer for work, school, or essential tasks (e.g., paying bills).
  • Only use mobile devices for essential communications; cut out non-essential texting, app, and internet use.
  • Take Wednesdays and Fridays as days of fasting. (Abstain from meat and only eat one full meal, as well as two smaller meals that together are not equal to a full meal.)

As the 90 days goes on we are supposed to read exodus. It may not change your lives but it has certainly had an effect on mine. Hope you all consider giving it a try. It is mostly for men but women can do it as well, here is the link to the website https://exodus90.com/

God bless you all.

You had me until this. And with covid, it’s not like you can watch sports any other way.

Haha I usually tell people that this is about getting closer to God. I for one have to eat 6 times a day or so and if I don’t I can get very short with people. I would not be loving others the way I should if I am in that state of mind, therefore I still eat 6 times a day.

If watching sports helps you get along with friends or family better or something, I would think that is acceptable. I think it is more about just not spending hours in front of the tv or obsessing over sports.

I guarantee no one is successful. 90 days? No way but, I guess the plays well into the whole guilt thing.

T-Nation is essential?

I vote yes.

Respectfully, “if I don’t eat, I get cranky” seems to be missing an opportunity to look within and better yourself.

Without getting too into the weeds, I do like the idea of fasting (or sacrificing comforts) for a purpose. I’ve also heard of the Lenten season being used to adopt new/positive habits rather than dropping negative habits. That always struck me as another very good use of time and effort that still maintained the spirit of the practice (no pun intended).

3 Likes

The goal is 90 days and nobody is forced to do it. Just something that can be rewarding to attempt.

And I suppose you are right! I should abstain from T-Nation and I will!

You are correct as well! I need to sack up! See you all after Easter!!!

Thanks for posting about Exodus 90.

Wow! It is Lent on steroids.

This is something for me to look into this coming Easter.

I just hope I can get through the cold showers though and the no TV!

Just jumping in to check on everyone. Hope you all are doing well.

All I can say is I’m thankful. In the span of 3 years, I have been rendered helpless so that I can fully see, God’s will over my life to depend solely and fully on Him, and Him alone. I have lost everything from my marriage, to friends, consistent interest in earthly things, and now the house me and my mom have been living in for years.

Aside from my day job, all other advances I’ve made in life have come to a screeching halt.
Everything inside of me, that I thought I knew, that I thought I had some shred of authority on or over, was crushed. And praise Christ Jesus it was. Because I would’ve been lost. Forsaken. To be honest…I am the weakest person I know. I’m prone to overwhelming sadness, and stagnation. The blanket of depression and loneliness has followed me for longer than I can remember.

But finally. Those the Father have called and predestined long before the foundations of the earth were laid, I find myself being carried.
Everything is falling off of me. And while I have no idea what’s ahead, I’m okay. I’m at peace, and have the in dwelling presence of the Holy Spirit to keep the flame of hope burning steady.

Right now I find myself having my hands full with the teachings of James 1:22 and Galatians 5:22-23. To be a doer, and not just a hearer of the Word, and to present living and visible fruit of the Spirit. Whether I’m pressed hard like Job, or gripped with fear like Elijah, I have not been given a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, love, and of a sound mind.

And this is a walk. An endurance race. Stripping off every weight, and the sin that so easily ensnares me. So that I can run this race of endurance, of faith, that God has set before me. Because Jesus Christ is coming back, and I, along with everyone else will one day confess that Christ is Lord.

So I’m okay. I’m here. I’m okay. And I’m still in this race. And to whoever this needs to reach, I pray you’re still in this race too.

11 Likes

I’m glad you’re okay. Your writing is a lovely reflection of your soul.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

3 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

Just dropping this here for anyone interested. Currently have made my way through the books of Joshua to 1 Samuel, and started getting curious on the written account of David and Goliath. I was wondering how powerful slings were back then, and stumbled across this great video