Fairness Doctrine?

[quote]Sloth wrote:
I like all the excuse making in this article.

The Project for Excellence in Journalism’s researchers found that John McCain, over the six weeks since the Republican convention, got four times as many negative stories as positive ones. The study found six out of 10 McCain stories were negative.

What’s more, Obama had more than twice as many positive stories (36 percent) as McCain - and just half the percentage of negative (29 percent).

[/quote]

So? Is the media responsible for making sure that there are an equal number of positive and negative stories about each candidate?

BTW I think the fairness doctrine is garbage and I would not take anyone seriously if they tried to push it forward.

jnd

[quote]jnd wrote:
Sloth wrote:

The Project for Excellence in Journalism’s researchers found that John McCain, over the six weeks since the Republican convention, got four times as many negative stories as positive ones. The study found six out of 10 McCain stories were negative.

What’s more, Obama had more than twice as many positive stories (36 percent) as McCain - and just half the percentage of negative (29 percent).

So? Is the media responsible for making sure that there are an equal number of positive and negative stories about each candidate?

BTW I think the fairness doctrine is garbage and I would not take anyone seriously if they tried to push it forward.

jnd[/quote]

It’s the medias job to be fair and balanced if that is what they claim to be. That being said, it is not gov’t job to ensure this. They have every right to biased just as we have every right to point this out and not purchase thier product.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
jnd wrote:
Sloth wrote:

jnd

It’s the medias job to be fair and balanced if that is what they claim to be. That being said, it is not gov’t job to ensure this. They have every right to biased just as we have every right to point this out and not purchase thier product.
[/quote]

I agree. But I don’t understand what fair and balanced means. Clearly, FOX is just as biased as the other outlets, just in the other direction.

[quote]jnd wrote:
dhickey wrote:
jnd wrote:
Sloth wrote:

jnd

I agree. But I don’t understand what fair and balanced means. Clearly, FOX is just as biased as the other outlets, just in the other direction. [/quote]

Agreed, kind of. FOX does a much better job of presenting both arguments. i regularly scream at the tv when they have on that smug arrogent Obama spokesman, but I am glad they do. The problem with Fox is that people aren’t used to seeing conservative talking points at all.

Compared to other new organizations Fox is about as fair and balanced as it gets. I have no problem with a host or commentator being biased, as I don’t beleive it is possible for one not to be. The key for me is allowing others to come on and voice opinions that differ from what the host’s may be. You can’t watch fox for 10min without seeing a liberal. Can you say the same thing of CNN, MSNBC, NYT or others and conservatives? I think they do the best job of giving both sides equal time. Could they do a better job, of course, but I think they do the best job.

The other problem is that fox will report on things others will not, which usually means negative stories about liberals and positive stories about conservatives. If the rest of the media were a little less one-sided, fox would lose a part of the market on these stories.

Hannity and OReilly don’t really interest me, but I do like Brit Hume, Neil Cavuto, Megan Kelly and some of the others. Sorry if I butchered any names.

[quote]jnd wrote:
Sloth wrote:

jnd[/quote]

So? Make of it what you will.

Megyn Kelly for press secretary? Seriously, she’s good.

I don’t watch television; I’ve never seen her before, but she seems pretty damn sharp in these clips.

Here she is owning “I’m a total fucking tool” Obama spokesperson Burton - the guy is a smug asshole. Watch it:

And here she is dealing with an Ayer’s apologist:

Good for her. I’m glad someone is doing these sorts of interviews. Thank God for Fox News.