T Nation

Failure Reached. How to Adjust Program?

Good day. I am doing a program now in which my day 2 is flat BB bench press on a 5% progression. My next move is DB incline press, and then one arm rows (that way I get push/pull across the same joints same day).

For the last two weeks I have reached failure with the flat bench two weeks in a row and am of the belief that I should afterwards forgo the inclines. Is this necessary?

Even if so, might I tack the omitted inclines at the end of my day 3?

I think you’re looking at a deload.

Deload your weight by around 10% and start working up again. It seems you’ve reached your ‘ceiling’ so to speak. So start eating more and then trying to ‘push’ the ‘ceiling’ up by deloading.

[quote]ridethecliche wrote:

Deload your weight by around 10% and start working up again. It seems you’ve reached your ‘ceiling’ so to speak. So start eating more and then trying to ‘push’ the ‘ceiling’ up by deloading.[/quote]

Strip sets are great, but, I do not recommend doing them all the time,

Just lift heavy and work hard buddy

[quote]ALA wrote:

[quote]ridethecliche wrote:

Deload your weight by around 10% and start working up again. It seems you’ve reached your ‘ceiling’ so to speak. So start eating more and then trying to ‘push’ the ‘ceiling’ up by deloading.[/quote]

Strip sets are great, but, I do not recommend doing them all the time,

Just lift heavy and work hard buddy
[/quote]

He wasn’t talking about strip sets, dude. And your advice is “Just lift heavy and work hard?” Real helpful.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
Good day. I am doing a program now in which my day 2 is flat BB bench press on a 5% progression. My next move is DB incline press, and then one arm rows (that way I get push/pull across the same joints same day).

For the last two weeks I have reached failure with the flat bench two weeks in a row and am of the belief that I should afterwards forgo the inclines. Is this necessary?

Even if so, might I tack the omitted inclines at the end of my day 3?[/quote]

You’re asking how to adjust your program without telling us what your program even is; you’ve only given a tiny sliver of the whole thing.

OP.

It depends on what your Day 3 hits, but if you have a program set out and you’re failing, then you should deload and keep at it to see if you can bypass the plateau. Once you deload 3x, then I think you should look into making some bigger changes. Just slowing down in your progress doesn’t mean you have to radically change everything.

Less weight and higher reps and start pyramid training at some point.

[quote]juanke wrote:
Less weight and higher reps and start pyramid training at some point.[/quote]

How can anyone give this guy advice with the info provided?

You don’t even know his weights or rep scheme.

Some people in this thread need to zip it, or ask for more info before posting advice.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
I am doing a program now in which my day 2 is flat BB bench press on a 5% progression. [/quote]

By 5%, do you mean that you increase the weight 5% for each workout? If so, those jumps will be too big to sustain linear progress. Eventually, 5 pound jumps for bench will be too much, and you will need microplates (1 pound even) to milk the linear progress. Google Incremental Increases by Mark Rippetoe

Sorry to be a goof and abandoning this thread way back. I just went for the fastest advice from whatever board.

By a 5% program I mean Week 1: 4 sets of 5
Week 2: 4 sets of 4 with 5% increase
week 3: 4 sets of 3 with another 5% increase
week 4: 4 sets of 5 with week 2 weights and so on.

I forget spot on what other details of my program were then, the training journal is misplaced or whatever.

Current program:

Day 1
BB shoulder press 4 sets of 7 with 10 rep max
dips 4 sets of 7 with 10 rep
deadlift 5 sets of 5

Day 2
full squats 5 sets of 5
Bent arm pullovers 4 sets of 7
BB bicep curls 3 sets of 6-8
situps 3 sets of 15

Day 3
BB bench press 4 sets of 7
lataral raises 3 sets of 15 20 reps max
one arm rows 4 sets of 7
Supersets
BB lying triceps 2 sets of 10
DB hammer curls 2 sets of 10

First 2 weeks, 1 minute between sets, legs 1.5
after week 2, double rest

So I have had this program going and not too badly. It is actually a rearrangement of a program someone designed for me that has the leg moves changed to separate days because I had a reaggravation of a hamstring injury and the doctor told me to.

Week 4, Day 3, a week ago today, I had an off sleep the night before, reached failure short of seven on the second set of bench, and said to heck with it and cancelled the whole session.

I proceeded last tuesday to do the next day 1 and had solid improvement, although I unexpectedly reached failure on the first two moves, I was ambitious.

Going through the week past friday’s work to today, I stupidly buggered my sleep again and did the same thing and thought not to try anything else today.

My question is, should I acknowledge a lot of failure of late and wrap up this program, take a week or so off? Might i try this session again tomorrow and set my tuesday work to Wednesday? Or is that a bad idea after failing on a second set and it is too soon?

Edit: I forgot, I am a bit past 40 years old.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]juanke wrote:
Less weight and higher reps and start pyramid training at some point.[/quote]

How can anyone give this guy advice with the info provided?

You don’t even know his weights or rep scheme.

Some people in this thread need to zip it, or ask for more info before posting advice.[/quote]

you win the thread!!!