T Nation

Facebook Login or No Job

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Listen, if you can find a way to justify this, feel free.[/quote]

I am not “justifying” anything beyond simply giving reasons why they might feel it is in their best interests to do so. I have already written that, while I don’t agree with, the people acting shocked that it has been taken this far must have had their heads in the sand during the numerous times this topic has been discussed on this forum.

The courts will decide one way or another how this will go; my comments were meant to address this issue in the interim as well as raise a few points I think they might take into consideration.

Yes, you can tell your employer to fuck himself, feel a euphoric sense of Constitutional bravado, and walk home without a steady paycheck and a job you have been training and working years to land.

Or, you can deactive your account, remove incriminating pictures or not use the internet as a limelight for your jackass hijinks in the first place.

This is not even close to new.

When I was in uni in 2007 I went to a presentation related to acquiring an accounting designation done by an employer. He told us the first thing they do is look you up on FB and see what profile pic you are using before deciding who to interview.

My FB profile is completely locked to non-friends and I do not add coworkers to FB.

Deleted mine several months ago. Best decision ever.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
This is not even close to new.[/quote]

Given the nature of the medium as well as Facebook’s reputation in particular, I am surprised that there are many people out there with faith in the privacy of that particular site.

A quick Google will show numerous examples of Zuckerberg and his cronies trying to undercut the users’ privacy at not only any opportunity that presents itself, but also through manufacturing ways in the site’s shiny new features and settings that allow him to do just that unless the user jumps through several brand new, increasingly obscure hoops to cut if off. To the user, it’s about having fun on their terms. To Facebook, it’s about bleeding your information for as much money as they can until you catch on.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
This is not even close to new.

When I was in uni in 2007 I went to a presentation related to acquiring an accounting designation done by an employer. He told us the first thing they do is look you up on FB and see what profile pic you are using before deciding who to interview.

My FB profile is completely locked to non-friends and I do not add coworkers to FB.
[/quote]

If you read the OP, you would realize that locking your FB profile would do you know good.

The employer demanded the login credentials so they can look at any private messages and posts. It’s just as bad as demanding email login. I’m surprised they’re not asking for bank account logins lol. I laugh now about it…

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
This is not even close to new.

When I was in uni in 2007 I went to a presentation related to acquiring an accounting designation done by an employer. He told us the first thing they do is look you up on FB and see what profile pic you are using before deciding who to interview.

My FB profile is completely locked to non-friends and I do not add coworkers to FB.
[/quote]

If you read the OP, you would realize that locking your FB profile would do you know good.

The employer demanded the login credentials so they can look at any private messages and posts. It’s just as bad as demanding email login. I’m surprised they’re not asking for bank account logins lol. I laugh now about it… [/quote]

Oh I did read it. I just meant the focus on FB by employers.

If you cannot share your facebook profile with a stranger do you really think it should be up? Facebook is a great tool to connect with friends etc but can be personal diary of your life. There is also way around that with privacy control. I also DO NOT add aps onto my facebook as they straigh up tell you “We need access to your friends, post history, job postions, schooling to download this app” (all of which you can leave blank etc).

Well…I think everyone should be well aware that eventually the internet will not be completely anonymous. It can’t stay that way forever because of the growing uses for it…which will no doubt eventually lead to some form of regulation.

It may not happen soon, but it most likely will. Bottom line, be aware of what you put on the net. It could bite your ass years later when you least expect it…like when all of your trolling posts keep you from getting a job.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
If you cannot share your facebook profile with a stranger do you really think it should be up? Facebook is a great tool to connect with friends etc but can be personal diary of your life. There is also way around that with privacy control. I also DO NOT add aps onto my facebook as they straigh up tell you “We need access to your friends, post history, job postions, schooling to download this app” (all of which you can leave blank etc). [/quote]

That’s not the point. FB is your personal shit, it isn’t an employer’s business. It’s kind of like a diary. Yeah, it’s better if you don’t write it down, but that doesn’t mean it’s anyone’s business. I don’t have a facebook, I don’t want one.
To much can go wrong on facebook, that’s a hassle I can live without.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

…I don’t have a facebook, I don’t want one.

To much can go wrong on facebook, that’s a hassle I can live without. [/quote]

Same here. Never even been tempted to start a FB account.
[/quote]

It’s because you guys are older.

If you were in your teens or 20’s It would probably be a different story. People my age communicate quite a bit through social media.

[quote]dirtman wrote:
Time to terminate your facebook account when going into interviews.
[/quote]
If you have your Facebook on the most private settings you don’t show up in a search engine.

If I am interested in looking for a new job the first thin I do is search myself and make sure only my linked in account and other professional sites come up. That’s job searching 101 in my opinion.

As for demanding he log on to a personal account and show them messages, I would walk out. I turned down a job once after passing a piss-test, background check and credit check because they wanted to do a polygraph test. The job was part time during college so I thought I had jumped through enough hoops for $12 bucks an hour.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

…I don’t have a facebook, I don’t want one.

To much can go wrong on facebook, that’s a hassle I can live without. [/quote]

Same here. Never even been tempted to start a FB account.
[/quote]

It’s because you guys are older.

If you were in your teens or 20’s It would probably be a different story. People my age communicate quite a bit through social media.[/quote]

Older?! I’ll beat you with my cane!

The original reason I deleted my facebook account a couple or so years ago was because it brought too much drama to my life. Like people getting po’d because I didn’t add them to my friend list and things other people would post on my wall and whatnot. And I never got anything positive out of it anyway. Now that I’m hearing about this, I want a facebook account even less.

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]dirtman wrote:
Its off work time in private stuff they have no biz looking at.[/quote]

They do if it can potentially influence your job performance.

If you are being hired for a position where your image is important, they don’t want to see you stripping on a bar like you had a cameo in Coyote Ugly. Potentially bad for business.

If you are being hired for a position caring for children, performing medical procedures, etc., they don’t want to see you engaging in illicit drug use, actions that show a disregard for others or any number of things that might impact your performance on the job or reflect on your capabilities to appropriately fill that position. When your performance on the job literally effects the health and well-being of others… yeah, don’t be surprised at the higher degree of scrutiny.

Say what you want, but it DOES work. And it is a brutally effective method of culling the bullshitters from the candidate pool.

Don’t like it? Don’t apply. Highly qualified candidates are fish in the sea, and many of them either don’t do stupid shit in the first place or are smart enough to not throw it on the internet.[/quote]

Ford thought the same thing when he sent his spies to check if his employees were drinking while off the job.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Well…I think everyone should be well aware that eventually the internet will not be completely anonymous. It can’t stay that way forever because of the growing uses for it…which will no doubt eventually lead to some form of regulation.

It may not happen soon, but it most likely will. Bottom line, be aware of what you put on the net. It could bite your ass years later when you least expect it…like when all of your trolling posts keep you from getting a job.[/quote]

This is a big problem though.

They will slowly take away as much of our privacy and freedom on the internet as they can. It will be like walking down a street with cameras following your every move, just that they’ll monitor who is visiting what site.

It sucks. You could be curious as to what the latest meme or ‘blue waffle’ means, and all of a sudden there are cops at your door for surfing kiddie porn.

Saying that, Facebook isn’t just a fad, though. What many people are not realizing is it is an evolved method of communication. Just like when email was ‘new’ - Facebook is just the next step.

There will be others after it, too.

Employers asking for Facebook login details is the same as them coming round to your place and going through photo albums and interviewing your friends. Absurd.

Facebook was ok when it was restricted to college only (back when I had it).

Once it opened up to everyone and employers were able to screen with it I got out of it.

Yes, I don’t keep up with my friends as much, but then again I don’t really fucking care what they ate for dinner or what their kids are up to.

Also, I wouldn’t put it past Facebook to try and monetize background checks via them.

You are in charge of keeping your ass covered online, trusting anyone else is asking for problems.

I do agree that employers doing over the shoulder surfing is uncalled for and I wouldn’t want to work at a place like that.

I am fine with total anynomous internet. That way I can write whatever stupid crap I want with very little chance that it will affect my life.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

I do agree that employers doing over the shoulder surfing is uncalled for and I wouldn’t want to work at a place like that.[/quote]

I doubt anyone would…but I would imagine many are doing it no matter what. I would assume a lot of monitoring from office environments with cubicles since production is how you make money.

I also understand what RSGZ is saying…but I do not think Facebook is the next cell phone. It is shiny and new for now. I think having everyone in your business at all times is going to eventually have largely unwanted consequences.

For instance, I had an SUV cut me off on the street yesterday. I got pissed. Someone in the back seat with a phone camera is taping my reaction to what they did. That’s the world we live in now…and that is not really a good thing.

The average person is likely video taped several times a day without even knowing it…from ATM cams to random people, to stores and traffic lights. Your entire life is already out there for all to see…and people want to give more?

This seems more like a compliance measure than anything.

Employers don’t like when people say no to them. This is a great way to weed out anybody with a spine.