Face Pull Question: Leaning Back?

all the videos that r posted here show the person doing a face-pull in an standing upright position.
when i try to do them, i have to lean back in order to use heavier weights. is that normal? or am i supposed to use very low weights for this?

you pull on your face? ewww thats sick

seriously though you should do as light as you can to keep good posture in my opinion

[quote]Philly wrote:
all the videos that r posted here show the person doing a face-pull in an standing upright position.
when i try to do them, i have to lean back in order to use heavier weights. is that normal? or am i supposed to use very low weights for this?[/quote]

Do them with proper form (upper body should be max <15°) and increase weight slowly.

When you lean back you are shifting the weight away from the muscle groups you are supposed to be targeting with face pulls towards other, stronger muscles, which allows you to move more weight but kinda circumvents the reason why you would be doing face pulls in the first place.

alright. so but how do you build any muscle with this exercise when using low weight?
what if i would do the following: sit on a bench in front of the pully and do the face-pulls this way? by having back support from the bench, i cannot lean back and i can use more weight.

[quote] wrote:
[/quote]

if you have to lean back to move the weight you are using the wrong muscles.

lighten the weight untill you can stand up with perfect posture then gradualy increase the weight.
soon you will be strong enough all over you wont need to lean

yes maybe you can move the higher weight but I think you are just trying to do too much lighten it up and work on form.
this is one of those “fluff” exersices that you really do not need to move alot of weight to get results

if you have to lean or get support you are going too heavy

Philly, think about that one for a moment. If you can use more weight, what’s allowing you to move more weight? Because it’s probably not your shoulder girdle suddenly getting stonger. It might be from a decreased ROM, because I’m having trouble actually picturing what you’re talking about, but even that would be kinda counter-productive.

People gain muscle from doing these by doing them a lot, and by eating. Same as with bicep curls, or skullcrushers.