Fabadab: Your Guess is as Good as Mine

20/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

• OHP - 10 @ bar, 5 @ 25, 30, 35, 38.75, 42.5

• Deadlifts - 10 @ bar, 5 @ 40, 60, 75, 90, 100
    (beltless)

• DB rows (L/R) - 10 @ 18, 23, 28

Ramped up to my planned TM for OHP just to double-check it’s OK, and it seems to be fine - it felt heavy but moved OK and only slowed a smidgen for the top-half of the last rep, so I’m comfortable with that. The plan is to OHP both days for the main lifts (i.e. no benching) and do 5’s PRO on deadlifts days and SSL on the front squat day.

Gave deadlifts another run out, and they did feel better than last time I tried it, but still generally heavier and more awkward than I’d like. I’m hoping this is just down to being out of practice, and not touching anything this heavy for quite a while, but we’ll have to see. For now I’ll use 100 as my starting TM (doing 5x5/3/1 for these as well) and just focus on getting comfortable with it again. Just to note these were all done beltless as my belt is still too tight and I forgot to loose it, but I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing to do without it for a while.

Rows were fine - again just working up to the weight I’ll be starting off with, and doing these strict.

3 Likes

21/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

Giant set 1:

• Pullups - 3, 3, 3
  • Parallel bar dips - 3, 3, 3
  • Box pistols (L/R) - 5, 5, 5
    (90s rest)

Giant set 2:

• Ring rows (hip height) - 8, 8, 8
  • Pushups (handles, narrow NG) - 8, 8, 8
  • KB swings - 10, 10, 10 @ 24
    (90s rest)

Did the same work as last time, but subbing in parallel bar dips for ring dips which I think works a lot better.

I think I will drop a rep from the rows and pushups to begin with, and work up from 7s instead, just to ensure I am keeping things strict and progressing slowly while accommodating for the increase in volume/fatigue from the main lifts that will kick in from the next session.

After that, I think the upper body movements will all progress by 1 rep per workout (e.g. 8/7/7, then 8/8/7 for rows and pushups, and so on), and then for swings and pistols I’ll go up by 1 rep for all sets each week (i.e. 2 workouts the same, and then bump up).

Edit to add: I should probably tag on some core work to the end of this as well - I’m thinking initially maybe just super-setting planks and halos or something like that, to focus more on core stability.

3 Likes

22/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

Run:

• 5m walk
  • 3 x 5m run w/ 3m walks
  • 5m walk

31m total w/ 15m running. Covered 3.00mi/4.80km in total.

I decided to just go with the same intervals as last time as this is technically the end of the TM testing week (although it’s mid-week), and it was pretty windy this morning so I figured that would add a challenge anyways, and it did.

Got a tad further than last time out, and beat my starting point which actually involved me running fairly hard as I was going head-on into the wind after the halfway turn - when I slowed for the second walk I almost felt as though I was standing still which was a bit bizarre.

3 Likes

23/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

• OHP - 5 x 5 @ 31.25
    (took 9:40)

• Front squats - 5 x 5 @ 48.75
    (took 10:15)

• Kroc rows (L/R) - 10/10 strict, 20/20 loose (w/straps) @ 28
    (1m rest between arms)

Pretty straightforward session - the above uses SSL weights for OHP and 5x5/3/1 weights for front squats. I’ve only got the top sets listed here, but in any case I’ve decided to just build up to the top sets using whatever weights I think I need rather than sticking to the set %'s laid out.

Shoulder felt OK on the OHP which was good, and all reps were smooth. Managed to do the front squats without needing a heel-raise this time which is positive. I did almost fall backwards on the very first rep, but after that things were fine.

As written, for kroc rows I’m doing a strict set with the top weight of c.10 reps and then a second set where I let loose and use as much body english etc. as necessary. Also threw on the straps for this, but I did feel like my biceps were the limiting factor, especially on the left side. On the right side I think I used my upper traps a bit too much because that side of my neck is now a bit tight/sore, which usually indicates some trap tightness that needs releasing.

3 Likes

24/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

Giant set 1:

• Pullups - 4, 3, 3
  • Parallel bar dips - 4, 3, 3
  • Box pistols (L/R) - 6, 6, 6
    (90s rest)

Giant set 2:

• Ring rows (hip height) - 8, 7, 7
  • Pushups (handles, narrow NG) - 8, 7, 7
  • KB swings - 11, 11, 11 @ 24
    (90s rest)

Superset:

• Plank - 2 x 30s
    (30s rest)
  • KB halos - 2 x 5 @ 12 ea way
    (30s rest)

Not much to say here - added a rep to the pullups and dips and they felt OK. Pistols were a little-wobbly, but I expect that’s because of the higher squatting volume yesterday compared to the test sessions I did, and I added a rep for all sets there.

Also added a rep for all KB swing sets which was fine. Dropped the rows and pushups down a rep as detailed before, and these felt pretty comfortable, so I should be in a good place to build from there.

Also added the core work at the end - as with everything else I’m starting pretty easy with this and will just gradually build it up over time. I’ll probably add 5s a week to the planks and then either add a weight vest to make them harder or switch to the ab wheel. For the halos I’ll add a rep (ea way) each week, and then eventually progress to heavier KBs as well.

3 Likes

25/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

Run:

• 5m walk
  • 5m run
  • 3m walk
  • 8m run
  • 3m walk
  • 5m run
  • 5m walk

34m total w/ 18m running. Covered 3.39mi/5.42km in total.

Pretty windy again on this run, but more gusty. Although that’s overall easier than having constant wind to fight against, it is more annoying having to constantly change how you’re running to compensate.

Felt surprisingly tired on the very first interval, so this wasn’t a particularly quick run. Against the wind on the way back too, so I finished a good 20-30m short of my starting point. I wasn’t pushing too hard at the end to get back though.

Left hip was giving me a little bother, so that’s something to keep an eye on, but the knees felt OK.

2 Likes

Weighed in @ 13st 8.6lbs on Sunday morning, waist measuring 90cm/35"

2 Likes

27/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

• OHP - 5 @ 27.5, 31.25, 36.25
    (took 5:13)

• Deadlifts - 5 x 5 @ 85
    (took 12:28)

• Kroc rows (L/R) - 12/12 strict, 24/24 loose (w/straps) @ 28
    (1m rest between arms)

Decent enough session. OHP felt heavier than expected, but I got through all the sets easily enough. I decided I would go with the actual 5/3/1 percentages for this as there’s only a few sets and the jumps on OHP with this low of a TM are more or less what I would do anyways.

Deadlifts felt a little off at first, but I got into the groove about halfway through the 5 x 5. My right knee was a bit painful which was unexpected - something to keep an eye on. It did get a little better towards the end, so it may not be a big deal. Due to the clock changes this session was effectively ‘earlier’ than I have been doing them recently, and colder again as well, so that may have had a bearing.

Rows were decent, adding a couple of reps to the strict set and a few on the loose set as well compared to last time out.

3 Likes

28/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

Giant set 1:

• Pullups - 4, 4, 3
  • Parallel bar dips - 4, 4, 3
  • Box pistols (L/R) - 6, 6, 6
    (90s rest)

Giant set 2:

• Ring rows (hip height) - 8, 8, 7
  • Pushups (handles, narrow NG) - 8, 8, 7
  • KB swings - 11, 11, 11 @ 24
    (90s rest)

Superset:

• Plank - 2 x 30s
    (30s rest)
  • KB halos - 2 x 5 @ 12 ea way
    (30s rest)

Didn’t feel much like working out this morning - might just be due to the dark and cold since the clocks changed.

Pullups felt particularly tough, and even getting the 4 reps was effortful. Dips and pistols were a little off on the first set, but then felt fine for sets 2 and 3. Rows and pushups both felt fine, but the swings were a bit tougher than they should be too - probably the effect of deadlifts yesterday. Core work was fine.

3 Likes

29/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

Run:

• 5m walk
  • 5m run
  • 3m walk
  • 8m run
  • 3m walk
  • 5m run
  • 5m walk

34m total w/ 18m running. Covered 3.35mi/5.36km in total.

Still using Strava to track distance covered, but I’m now sceptical of the distances shown for this and the last session, because they were the same time/intervals but I felt I went a chunk further on this run, yet it’s showing I didn’t go as far…

That aside, today’s run went pretty well - a bit warmer than it has been the past few days and with a significantly less wind than the past couple of runs, although I still felt it a little after the turn at halfway. I kept up a decent pace throughout though and made it back to the starting point.

3 Likes

30/03 (Early AM)

Intro to pilates session - c.30m

Wasn’t feeling particularly enamoured with what I was doing, and speaking to my other half about it and where I want to get to and she basically tried putting together a routine for me so I thought why the hell not.

2 days involve doing pilates (for postural improvement and core strength/overall stability), which is new to me so I’m planning to just work through beginner youtube series and see where it goes. I figure this isn’t the sort of thing that needs programming like gym work does and instead it’s more about just trying to progress to harder things once you’ve got the hang of the basics.

3 Likes

31/03 (Early AM)

Warmup

Superset:

• Pushups - 19, 11, 9 (39 total)
    (30s rest)
  • Lying inc. DB rows - 23, 17, 12 @ 13s (52 total)
    (60s rest)

Giant set:

• DB arnold press - 13, 10?, 7? @ 13s (30 total)
  • WG bar inverted rows - 10, 10ish, 6.5 (26 total)
    (10.5 holes)
  • Banded chinups - 6, 4, 2.5 @ purple band (12 total)
    (60s rest)

Didn’t have much of a plan coming into this so wasted some time working out what exercises to do - I was thinking of doing some bis/tris at the end but ran out of time.

I was thinking something like the 350 method for the first 2 exercises and then something similar but harder/heavier (like 330 maybe?) on the next group. If I stick with this though I’ll need to rethink the exercise choices a bit though as this was a bit of a faff to setup and move between etc.

Chinups weren’t there at all today - I think some of that comes down to the sequencing (after DB rows and WG rows) and may arms were probably a bit fatigued every time I came to these. Frankly I’ve always been pretty terrible at pullups/chinups though, so maybe this is just where I’m at.

3 Likes

01/04 (Early AM)

Warmup

Run:

• 5m walk
  • 10m run
  • 3m walk
  • 10m run
  • 5m walk

33m total w/ 20m running. Covered 3.3mi/5.28km in total.

Cold and spotting with rain - not fun at all. Had to dodge puddles along the way as well. The 10m runs weren’t too bad and I beat my starting point by some way which was odd. The wind was coming from a slightly different direction this time so I may have had more help on the way back potentially.

3 Likes

03/04 (Early AM)

2nd intro to pilates session - c.30m

This one was much harder than the first one - lots of ab stuff and waving your legs around in the air which is a lot more tiring than expected.

Weighed in this morning @ 13st 8.6lbs, waist measuring 90cm/35". Didn’t get a chance to do this yesterday morning as I was away over the weekend, and I figured a pilates session shouldn’t distort the result much (if at all).

3 Likes

05/04 (Early AM)

Warmup

• OHP - 3 x 5 @ 35
    (2m rest)

• Front squats - 3 x 5 @ 50
    (2m rest)

• Pullups - 3, 4, 3
    (2m rest)

• c.10 sets of 5-10 band pull-aparts done between sets of the above, during rests

No training yesterday as I had the day off - spent some time enjoying the surprisingly good weather and doing some different activities which was a lot of fun but left me a bit sore in some odd muscles.

Took the above from Tactical Barbell, operator template. 3 x 5 @ 70% of estimated maxes (based on the last time I tested at the start of the last 5/3/1 false start). For pullups I went with an estimated max of 5 clean reps, hence doing varied reps here.

These all felt pretty smooth, and well within my capabilities sticking with the mandated 2m rest times, which is longer than I’ve used in quite some time now. I saw a YT video talking about some elite weighlifter that has long femurs and the way they squat vs other competitors, who tend to be of a different build, and I noticed that he front squatted with a wider stance than I typically use. I gave that a go today and felt a world of difference - obviously uses a bit more hip, but it was much more comfortable and I could stay upright far more easily, so I think I’ll stick with that from now on.

3 Likes

06/04 (Early AM)

Warmup

10m EMOM (alt ea min):

• Burpees - 5 x 5
  • KB swings - 5 x 15 @ 24

10m EMOM (alt ea min):

• Dips - 5 x 5
  • Ring rows (hip crease) - 5 x 8

Trying to combine conditioning and assistance work where, once again taking an idea from TB. This wasn’t that hard on the conditioning side but in the past I’ve jumped into that too deep and then hurt myself or burnt out, so I’m trying to ease into this time instead. Each round was about 30s work/30s rest, apart from the dips which were only about 20s to complete.

The burpees went better than expected - could easily bump this up to 6 or 7 a round if I were to repeat this soon. I did wonder if I would be able to do them because I did something to my wrist yesterday (not sure how) and it was fairly painful when bending it backwards, but I managed to work through it in the warmup and it was fine when I came to doing them. KB swings were no problem, except the same callus that I tore off last time was threatening to rip again, and it looks like I now have a blood blister underneath it…

Dips and rows went pretty well - didn’t want to push these hard while I’m getting the hang of the volume of all sessions combined. I could probably have managed another 1 or 2 dips each round fairly comfortably. The rows got tough towards the end, and the very last rep was a bit iffy (just shy of full ROM) so that was about right.

3 Likes

07/04 (Early AM)

Warmup

• OHP - 3 x 5 @ 35
    (2m rest)

• Front squats - 3 x 5 @ 50
    (2m rest)

• Pullups - 3, 4, 3
    (2m rest)

• 8 sets of 8-10 band pull-aparts (74 reps total), rotating between different angles, done between sets of the above during rests.

As with the previous session this went pretty smoothly, not much to report here. Right hip/glute was a bit tight but it didn’t feel like it affected the squats at all.

3 Likes

08/04 (Early AM)

Warmup

5 rounds for time:

• Hang power cleans - 5 x 5 @ 40
  • RDLs - 5 x 15 @ 40
  • Pushups - 5 x 12 (BW only)
  • BB rows - 5 x 10 @ 40
    (30s rest between exercises, 90s between rounds)

I could definitely push this harder - either by removing the rest between exercises and just running through them all back-to-back, or by shortening the rest between rounds to 30s as well to keep it continuous; I was recovering without issue each round, and every round was around the 3:20 mark (22:38 in total).

Hamstrings are still sore from the RDLs at the time of writing this (3 days later). They were a tad awkward due to the aforementioned hip/glute tightness from last session which made me feel like I was pulling a bit wonky and not engaging the hamstrings on the right side properly.

3 Likes

No training since the above - right knee has flared up and even dog walking is bothering it. I’m guessing that’s just the result of squatting more, and bumping up the other activities, but it might also be linked to the hip issue I was having (which now feels OK). Either way it’s really frustrating. I feel like I’m not even taking one step forwards at the moment, and then taking a couple backwards.

Weighed in @ 13st 10.2lbs Monday morning - lots of easter food and chocolates etc. over the weekend accounts for that.

3 Likes

Not trained at all since that last session, 10 days ago, but I intend to restart tomorrow. I was away over the weekend and did a decent amount of walking, some of it in pretty difficult terrain (off-road, uneven, through thick mud,) but I’m not sure it even amounts to cardio.

Weighed in this morning (18/04) @ 13st 7.6lbs, waist measuring 89cm/35".

3 Likes